ADVERTISEMENT

When Punting Isn't Winning

WinOneThisCentury II

HR MVP
Gold Member
Sep 19, 2021
When you play a top team in the B10 or any other Power 5. Good offenses like Michigan, Wisconsin, and Ohio State are going to score points. If we can't fight our way out of a wet paper bag on offense...it doesn't matter how good our defense is...as the number of possessions and time of possession is going to wear them down. Punting is just going to delay losing.

I rewatched the game...and actually only watched the offensive possessions. Yes...I'm a glutton for punishment. Here are a few takeaways.

1) It wasn't just one offensive linemen. It was all of them in pass protection. Colby, at this point in his career...is not an offensive tackle. He belongs at guard where he can thrive and be a wrecking ball. The problem is, we have a ton of guards, and no tackles who can operate in space. Every linemen completely whiffed at least one time on pass rushers...and were suspect other times in allowing pressure. This rewatch reminded me of Purdue and Wisconsin last year...it was that bad. No different...it was really bad and it's going to be again...I'm not sure this is fixable to compete at the top of the conference.

2) I think SDSU has a legitimate defensive line that is better than several defensive lines in the B10. I truly believe that. These guys have size and play with leverage. Their scheme was to just clog the middle of the line of scrimmage at the point of attack from tackle to tackle. The front four were lining up tight (between our tackles) and they just controlled everything inside. We should have been attacking the edge...which Iowa tried to do more of in the second half with some success, but not enough. We should have been using our backs in the passing game, just check downs in the flat...it would have been effective and easy. It would have been interesting to see the freshman Johnson in space against their LBs in the flat.

3) From what I saw...it looks like Dunker is going to be a player. He plays with a mean streak and through the whistle. He looked quicker too which we need, but I only watched him a few snaps too and didn't see too much in pass pro of him.

4) Petras was just bad. That's all you can say. When he had time or could get it off without being hit...he was terrible. There are no excuses. This is his MO...if you can hit him early in a game...he's going to struggle. Our offensive line is going to face serious pressure early in games.

5) Jones is no Linderbaum and no one expected that. He like the others had a few whiffs in pass pro. He's snapping the ball late too. That was what everyone was seeing as the linemen were moving before Petras. That needs to get cleaned up as it should be a false start. My early take...he's going to struggle against 320lb DTs. He plays too high right now...but that's fixable...he needs weight.

6) I would put George Barnett on notice too. Honestly, I'd move Kelvin Bell over the the offensive line right now, if it was me. I know...drastic...but what we have isn't working. Seriously...these guys need someone in their face...stressing them, putting them on notice for accountability. In the two years Barnett has been there...I've seen more poor OL play than I can remember.

Here's my starting five for ISU:

Richmond
Stephens
Jones
Dunker
Colby

I'm surprised that Plumb didn't play at all...especially with the struggles that were going on out there. Kind of shocking.

Reactions: desihawk
Pretty funny...yes...if I was an offensive player...I'd have a problem with the product we just put on the field. Hiding in my locker may be appropriate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT