ADVERTISEMENT

When the West Coast States Want to Secede, Will Republican 1-Party Rule Let Them? - Now with POLL

If some states want to leave the Union, will the GOP federal gov't let them?

• Total voters
Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Lefties like me have sometimes kidded that the next time the South wants to secede (or Texas), we should let them.

From my point of view, the remaining US would have much-improved values.

Right now, however, it seems more likely that some blue states - maybe the west coast, maybe New England, maybe some others - will be the ones thinking about leaving the Union.

Our nation's only prior experience taught us that secession was never to be allowed. But as hallowed as that principle may seem, if the current Supreme Court has taught us anything, it's that history, precedent and $3 will buy you a cup of black Starbucks coffee.

So . . . since it's probable that the GOP will sweep Congress in a few months, and also likely that they will take the White House in 2024 - never to relinquish any branch of government in our lifetimes - what do you think will happen if, say, California, Oregon and Washington ask to leave the Union?

Would the Republican federal government let them?

Should the Republican federal government let them?

If not, will there be another Civil War?

If there is another Civil War along these lines, which side will you be on?

What are the blue states reasons for seceding?
Anti-democratic actions in red states.

Look at the recent SCOTUS decisions.

Consider the next round of likely SCOTUS decisions.

Tired of sending money to red states.

Desire to have a nation/government that's sane on climate change.

Keep religion out of government and public schools.

Lots more reasons.

Anti-democratic actions in red states.

Look at the recent SCOTUS decisions.

Consider the next round of likely SCOTUS decisions.

Tired of sending money to red states.

Desire to have a nation/government that's sane on climate change.

Keep religion out of government and public schools.

Lots more reasons.
Doesn’t seem like those rise to the level of secession.

in 15 years the majority of Boomers will either be deceased, or at least lack any real political power. As of late, our nation’s government has been dominated by geriatrics whose mental faculties have been questioned. Washington has increasingly looked like America’s population over the past decade - it’s older, out-of-touch with reality, and only going full-speed-ahead with whatever faction they belong to.

Age and term limits will be implemented for all branches of government at some point over the next couple of decades I believe, but there will be some major pushback before it’s formalized.

Just because the Base is in a blue state that really means nothing.

There were Forts in the south during the Civil War.

You have to remember it's the Blue States who will be playing the role of the Confederacy.

Reactions: goldmom
in 15 years the majority of Boomers will either be deceased, or at least lack any real political power. As of late, our nation’s government has been dominated by geriatrics whose mental faculties have been questioned. Washington has increasingly looked like America’s population over the past decade - it’s older, out-of-touch with reality, and only going full-speed-ahead with whatever faction they belong to.

Age and term limits will be implemented for all branches of government at some point over the next couple of decades I believe, but there will be some major pushback before it’s formalized.
Why would any of them vote to fire themselves?

Reactions: hwk23 and 83Hawk

Republicans will never allow any of this when they gain full control. Only they will win National elections.

Do these people realize a large majority of the Military have red state views
That's a scary part of what is unfolding now.

Can you count on the military to uphold democracy?

Is that a question that's ever been asked since the Civil War?

Even Kent State didn't make me worry this much about the extent to which our institutions have been corrupted.

This. It’s never going to happen, nor should it.
The principles of the Declaration of Independence strike me as for all time, not just that time.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these [Blue States]; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government.

So you say…because you refuse to see what’s going on in front of your own eyes. Just look at who wanted the last 3 SC justices on the court and what they are already doing. Overturning Roe was a minority, radical Christian decision. So again, you’re wrong.
Yes, a coach praying after the game is one step away from Christian rule. Get a grip…

States can decide how they handle abortion. People can decide with their votes=authoritarian rule. Get a grip.

Being against those decisions is totally legit. Saying democracy will end and we’re going to have Christian sharia law if Republicans are elected is just hyperbolic nonsense

Yes, a coach praying after the game is one step away from Christian rule. Get a grip…

States can decide how they handle abortion. People can decide with their votes=authoritarian rule. Get a grip.

Being against those decisions is totally legit. Saying democracy will end and we’re going to have Christian sharia law if Republicans are elected is just hyperbolic nonsense
As the states make it harder to vote to hold onto power and are trying to make it they can ignore the will of the people and send their own electors for the Electoral vote count. That case goes before the SCOTUS in October. When the illegitimate SCOTUS rules in their favor what will be your excuse then?

• Haha
Reactions: ICHerky and HawkMD
As the states make it harder to vote to hold onto power and are trying to make it they can ignore the will of the people and send their own electors for the Electoral vote count. That case goes before the SCOTUS in October. When the illegitimate SCOTUS rules in their favor what will be your excuse then?
Better pass this then

Better pass this then

Not enough. It doesn't go far enough to override what these anti American states are going to do.

Lefties like me have sometimes kidded that the next time the South wants to secede (or Texas), we should let them.

Right now, however, it seems more likely that some blue states - maybe the west coast, maybe New England, maybe some others - will be the ones thinking about leaving the Union.

Our nation's only prior experience taught us that secession was never to be allowed. But as hallowed as that principle may seem, if the current Supreme Court has taught us anything, it's that history, precedent and $3 will buy you a cup of black Starbucks coffee.

So . . . since it's probable that the GOP will sweep Congress in a few months, and also likely that they will take the White House in 2024 - never to relinquish any branch of government in our lifetimes - what do you think will happen if, say, California, Oregon and Washington ask to leave the Union?

If there is another Civil War along these lines, which side will you be on

If there is another Civil War along these lines, which side will you be on?
Imagine what this country would be like if Lincoln just freed the slaves and let the Confederate states go at the end of the war. We could have fleeced them while "helping" them during reconstruction.

Most of the crazy that happens, those states have had a large part in it in some way.

The huge immigration problem that people complain about. Would not be the US's problem. They would all be flowinf into the CSA. Florida speaks for itself. I'm sure Disneyland would be much better.

Lincoln was like the abusive guy that won't let a girlfriend break up with them. "Yes, we have polar opposite views but I will never let you leave me as long as I live!"

If there is another Civil War along these lines, which side will

The principles of the Declaration of Independence strike me as for all time, not just that time.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these [Blue States]; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government.
Ok?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT