ADVERTISEMENT

When to call a person “President”

DropitlikeitsHawk

HB Heisman
Oct 20, 2005
My wife watches the Today Show so I passively listen. Obviously Trump is talked about a lot. I ignore any of it however something has stuck out. They refer to him as “Mr. Trump” however they never address Obama or W as Mr Obama or Mr Bush. I assume I know why but does anyone have any insight.

A historical side note.

Presidents were always referred to as President So-and-So, pretty much until they died, until one day, the New York Times referred to Richard Nixon as "Mr. Nixon." It was quite dramatic at the time.

Personally, I think that when you earn a title associated with statewide (or greater) elected office, you keep it for life.

A historical side note.

Presidents were always referred to as President So-and-So, pretty much until they died, until one day, the New York Times referred to Richard Nixon as "Mr. Nixon." It was quite dramatic at the time.

Personally, I think that when you earn a title associated with statewide (or greater) elected office, you keep it for life.
I think the title has traditionally been kept as honorary for POTUS, VP, Senator, Congress, Judges, Ambassadors, and Cabinet. I'm not sure of the protocol for official proceedings.

A family member was involved in a court case where a witness had a PhD. The witness wasn't involved in any expert capacity, but asked everyone involved to address him as "Dr.". The judge laughed out loud.

Reactions: hawkedoff
I think the title has traditionally been kept as honorary for POTUS, VP, Senator, Congress, Judges, Ambassadors, and Cabinet. I'm not sure of the protocol for official proceedings.

A family member was involved in a court case where a witness had a PhD. The witness wasn't involved in any expert capacity, but asked everyone involved to address him as "Dr.". The judge laughed out loud.
We had a former partner at our law firm who insisted on being called Dr. because he had an LLM.

It's embarassing that ambassador is on that list.

• Haha
Reactions: WadeLookingbill
My wife watches the Today Show so I passively listen. Obviously Trump is talked about a lot. I ignore any of it however something has stuck out. They refer to him as “Mr. Trump” however they never address Obama or W as Mr Obama or Mr Bush. I assume I know why but does anyone have any insight.

So you and the rest of MAGA can continue to play the victim card? You have gotten so good at it over the years.

Even if you're disgrace the office like Nixon was? I don't think you keep the title if you're removed instead of voted out.

A historical side note.

I believe former needs to be in front of president when it is not the current office holder. But that's just my opinion.

Reactions: fredjr82
So you and the rest of MAGA can continue to play the victim card? You have gotten so good at it over the years.
You complete liberal loon. You can’t even read something without assuming I’m Maga, which I’m not. It was an honest question. You are the epitome of why you can’t answer a reasonable question. Kill yourself douche. Actually don’t. Laughing at idiots like you and Mr Biden is comedy.

A historical side note.

Hey look a reasonable response to a reasonable question. Idiot libs only say Maga when they are wrong but have nothing else. Thanks!

Hey look a reasonable response to a reasonable question. Idiot libs only say Maga when they are wrong but have nothing else. Thanks!

Why do you need a reasonable response? You already "assumed" why. Was there really changing your mind once you put the victim hat on?

Why do you need a reasonable response? You already "assumed" why. Was there really changing your mind once you put the victim hat on?
Can you read retard? Someone gave a reasonable response. Which I said thank you to. You liberal retard.

I call my physicians "Doctor" even when they introduce themselves by their first name. To me it's respectful.

I won't even call DJT Mr Trump. He hasn't earned any respect.

Maybe you have to act somewhat or adjacent too, in the same ball park as...ugh. nevermind.

A historical side note.

Idk, I always call Nixon and Clinton . Tricky Dick and Slick Willy. They’ve earned the disrespect.

I call my physicians "Doctor" even when they introduce themselves by their first name. To me it's respectful.

I won't even call DJT Mr Trump. He hasn't earned any respect.
Perfect then it’s Barry Obama from now on if you happen to not respect him. Exactly what I figured.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT