ADVERTISEMENT

When was the last time the state of Iowa had a nationally ranked high school football team?

fezzador

HR All-American
Sep 12, 2006
Sorry if already a Pepsi.

Top 100 schools and I’m sure most of you can guess that the usual suspects dominate the list (GA, TX, FL etc) but there were a couple from places like Hawaii and Utah that surprised me.

Has Iowa had a nationally ranked high school team? I know that places like SE Polk, Valley, and Dowling are pretty strong by Iowa standards and are probably above average nationally, but even with the talent that SEP has produced lately like X and KP, the overall talent is still nothing special compared to say Mater Dei or Buford.

I would very much doubt it. Seems it's only been in recent years that we've see an uptick where there are double digit obvious D1 prospects in each class (8 man to 5A combined) in Iowa. Dowling dominated 4A for a decade and seems there couldn't have been many years they had more than 1 high D1 guy.

Last edited:
The problem is schools like Bishop Gorman where 20 starters have offers. Going to be hard to compete against those schools that draw in top kids.

While they cannot recruit athletes, they can recruit students....and if you are a top athletes whose parents can get up and move to Vegas just so their kid can play at that school...nothing is going to stop them other than maybe the $14,000 a year tuition.

A couple of great teams from back in my day that finished ranked nationally:

1. 1990 Linn-Mar
2. 1993 Iowa City City High

A lot of future Hawkeyes and other D1 scholarships athletes on those teams. Shout out to Ryan Driscoll too. Best high school QB I’ve ever seen.

Reactions: McLovin32
I'm pretty sure either Valley or Dowling had a nationally ranked team back when I was in high school, around 2003-2005ish.

But I could also be wrong, because that was a long ass time ago.

2011 Fremont-Mills was talked about as the best 8 man team in the country. Outscored opponents by 52 PPG. Nate Meier was on that team.

Reactions: gohawks50
ADVERTISEMENT