ADVERTISEMENT

When will BF announce his resignation?

1. Brian is a terrible OC who would have been fired midseason anywhere else.

2. The play of the OL was worse than Brian’s play calling. That has to be addressed first.

3. I don’t think it’s mere coincidence that Brian taking over quarterback coach occurred before Spencer Petras’s worst season at Iowa (in year three as a starter no less).

4. Kirk is not the first legendary coach to hang on too long. The bottom line is we conveniently forget before Brian Ferentz there was Greg Davis. Don’t get me wrong, Brian is the worst OC ever under Kirk, but let’s say for the sake of argument Brian leaves and Kirk replaces him with someone halfway competent, how much do you actually expect the offense to change? Sure, there probably won’t be the same predictable Brian patterns of first down runs with second and third down shotgun incompletions, sacks, or 2-yard shallow crossing routes, or the feeble attempts at cuteness inside the red zone (the 1-2 times the offense gets there after a special teams play or turnover) with jet sweeps and reverses that have worked 0/456 times in the past, or abandoning a successful running game down one score with 3 minutes left and two timeouts against a horrible rush defense, but honestly, all of that aside, do you really expect significant improvement coupled with a modern style of play?

Get real. We’ve been talking about the same stale, boring, inefficient offense for over ten years now. Nothing is really changing regardless of who the OC is so long as Kirk is running the show. The way this is most likely going down is 2023 becomes a repeat of 1998. Hayden was battling cancer. What’s Kirk’s excuse? He’s stubborn and arrogant. That’s all it is.
Iowa now 11-9 in their last 20 games overall since starting 6-0 last year. Looking at programs in 10-game snapshots is pretty telling.

The announcement
“We feel Tyler has done a great job coordinating our recruiting so we have decided that him and Brian will be switching roles going forward, we have also decided that after a lengthy NFL career that James will be a great fit coaching our offensive line”
All in the family

Putting his father in an untenable situation? What about his father putting Brian back into his position? Kirk can't possibly want his son to take the verbal abuse he is going through again. Hell, my heart ached every time one of my kids were called a name at school.
Sure. We’re both right. I just see it easier from a family standpoint for Brian to make the move on his side rather than for KF to fire him.

I'm sure we all agree it should be during the post-game media interviews, but when do you think it WILL happen? And will he take the OL coach with him?

BTW - that play where Plumb blocked air and let that dude destroy Padilla in that drive before the half when we were actually moving the ball and sort of still in the game might be the worst combination of play call and RT play I have ever seen.
The bigger question is when will his BOSS sit down and evaluate him and take action. If no action is taken then we’ll all know the AD lied to the entire state, which I guess we already knew.

Last edited:
What is he going to do or where is he going to go if he resigns? He is going to face some HR hurdles anywhere he goes, in or out of football, regardless of who his dad or his dad's friends are.

Reactions: ichawks
You mean the Nebraska that just beat Iowa?
6 coaches in 20 years. If Iowa wants to win they need to fire two coordinators and throw 2 million a year at an OC with a heart beat while telling Kirk to keep his hands off of it. Seems fairly straight forward.

When? It would have to be after national signing day which is not far off. The question is " does AD Barta have the spine to have the discussion with Kirk about asking Brian to resign?" The NIL donations are going to suffer if they try to keep Brian on the payroll and ticket sales for 2023 are going to nose dive. As AD Barta has a track record of being poor at personnel practices and has been able to survive because the revenues have met expenses. Out of self preservation Barta may have to do the unexpected and act in his own interest.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
6 coaches in 20 years. If Iowa wants to win they need to fire two coordinators and throw 2 million a year at an OC with a heart beat while telling Kirk to keep his hands off of it. Seems fairly straight forward.

Fire 2 coordinators, so you want both Brian and Phil gone?

Money is not an object for that family. I think the better question is "does someone his age with a family want to go through another year of being the most hated person in the state"? I do not think he or his family want that.
If he is not gone or reassigned, the entire narrative surrounding Iowa football next season will be about Brian again. That can't be allowed to happen.
Any one in coaching deals with critics, and he is not the most hated person in the state by a wide margin. He isn't going to resign from a million dollar a year job because you hate on him. If you knew anything about coaching you would know they can become deaf to outside criticism. His father has had to deal with it Brians whole life, Brian isn't going anywhere by his own choice.

Problem is BF would take a pretty serious pay cut if he's no longer Iowa's OC. If he takes a position coach spot somewhere in the NFL he probably won't be making anywhere near $900K/year, and he'll likely have to move somewhere with a higher cost of living than Iowa. That's quite a hit to their standard of living. This is a big reason I don't see BF quitting and I don't see KF firing him. The Iowa athletic coffers have become the Ferentz family financial security blanket.

Problem is BF would take a pretty serious pay cut if he's no longer Iowa's OC. If he takes a position coach spot somewhere in the NFL he probably won't be making anywhere near $900K/year, and he'll likely have to move somewhere with a higher cost of living than Iowa. That's quite a hit to their standard of living. This is a big reason I don't see BF quitting and I don't see KF firing him. The Iowa athletic coffers have become the Ferentz family financial security blanket.
I agree BF will be here next year. KF will making as many fake moves as possible and maybe get a couple of transfers. JMO

Last edited:
IF, and big IF, we are to make a change, Doubtful in my opinion) it needs to be done in a timely manner. If we want to be a player in the Michigan QB sweepstakes, I’m guessing he’s looking somewhere where he can play and be successful. We need to have something to offer. What is it right now? We’re in a very tough situation right now moving forward in my opinion, obviously on the offensive side of the ball.

I agree BF will be here next year. KF will making as many fake moves as possible and maybe get a couple of transfers. JMO
Yep, I could see KF bringing in someone as "Co-Offensive Coordinator", turn QB coach duties over to someone else, hiring a "Passing Offense Coach", hitting the portal for a few guys. All, as you put it, "fake" moves aimed at shutting up the naysayers and keeping the family's financial wheels greased.

Yep, I could see KF bringing in someone as "Co-Offensive Coordinator", turn QB coach duties over to someone else, hiring a "Passing Offense Coach", hitting the portal for a few guys. All, as you put it, "fake" moves aimed at shutting up the naysayers and keeping the family's financial wheels greased.
Which coaches are going away? Any additional on field coaches like co offensive coordinator means someone else has to go.

If you think Kirk is going to find a different offensive coordinator you are going to be extremely disappointed.

The below is what Kirk Ferentz is thinking:

We did it last year we can do it again.
Our terrible line didn't give Brian a good chance this year. WR injuries the same.
He knows how I run things and the "Iowa system".
Just need to execute.
Once again, NOT Brian's fault.

Reactions: littlez
Why would Brian leave a $900,000 per year gig , with job security ? I would be shocked if he was even demoted. Others have stated the NFL won’t touch him until the law suit is settled. He will be here as long as his dad.

Reactions: littlez
Which coaches are going away? Any additional on field coaches like co offensive coordinator means someone else has to go.
Offensive Line coach. Make BF the run game coordinator and the new OC the pass game coordinator. Split the role and let the new (hopefully more successful) OC call the plays. BF takes the offensive line as his main focus. Problem solved..... Maybe.

ADVERTISEMENT