ADVERTISEMENT

When will BF announce his resignation?

Actually, I hope Barnett is already gone, like 10 minutes ago. And I don't care who he takes with him. Maybe the worst O-Line I have witnessed in 30 years or longer.

This. The O line was the biggest issue by far yesterday.

It was also one of the worst game I’ve seen the defense play all year. That will happen when you lose one of your top players though. It became very clear last night how important Cooper DeJean is to this team as a whole.

Very rarely when our D blitzed was it effective. It was like the defense was running into a brick wall most of the time. Nebraskas Oline did a great job picking up the blitz yesterday. There were times that we were sending the house and it was shut down. I’ll give the defense a pass though. It’s tough to be lights out every game.

Back to the Oline. They weren’t able to identify edge rushers for most of the game and let them have a free shot at the QB. They had trouble handling a three man rush let alone blitzing. If Nebraska blitzed, the QB was going to have no time and get hit or have to run for his life. It was bad and why Petras got hurt.

Hell, Lachey was blocking better than anyone on the Oline yesterday. Lachey is another great TE in a long list of them coming out of Iowa. Lachey locking down his defender is the main reason Kaleb was able to get to the second level so fast and score on his long TD run. Lachey was dominating the defenders on some blocks.

I said it on this board earlier this year that I thought Lachey was the best TE we have. And even though LaPorta has stepped it up and addressed some drop issues, I still feel Lachey is the better of the two.

For the life of me I can’t understand why we stopped looking his way after he willed us into the end zone. Lachey was a nightmare for Nebraska on that series. Then for the rest of the game we stop looking for him. I was watching Padilla closely and he was only eyeing the opposite side of the field that Lachey was lined up on. The announcers even mentioned Lachey being open a couple of times.

Anyways, I wanted to end my post with a brighter spot. I don’t think I’m the only one who thinks Lachey is a special TE for us.

You're comparing a program that fired a couple 9 win HCs to a program with an aging HC displaying a clear case of nepotism. Kirk is protecting his son AND his SIL.

Apples to oranges.

Ferentz reminds me of Willie Mays, who played a few years too long and embarrassed himself and ruined his legacy. An important personal trait is not being "vain" and knowing when to step away.

What good reason does KF have to stick around? He certainly doesn't need the $$$.
Answer: He’s said publicly he has no hobbies. He is a coach. This is why he will continue on and on.

Everything you need to know about Brian can be gleaned from the 2nd play if the game. All week to scout, prepare, and script the plays you think will be successful and the 2nd one Brian comes up with is rolling Spencer to he left. Perhaps he just really, really wanted to see if Spencer could get a completion rolling to his left one time in his career. How does another coach not pipe up during the meeting when they decided the first 10 plays and say, "he can't throw to his left. Let's run something else or just punt it on 2nd down".

I'm sure we all agree it should be during the post-game media interviews, but when do you think it WILL happen? And will he take the OL coach with him?

BTW - that play where Plumb blocked air and let that dude destroy Padilla in that drive before the half when we were actually moving the ball and sort of still in the game might be the worst combination of play call and RT play I have ever seen.
Nobody making $900,000+ a year at his age with a family to provide for is going to voluntarily resign, it's insane to even think it's possible.

There is no chance Brian leaves voluntarily outside of taking a better offer elsewhere. With the chances of a better offer being slim to none, the Iowa AD being incompetent and Kirk having final say over anything that happens with Brian the likelihood is he's back at OC next season doing the same bang up job we witnessed this season.

He won't. KF will announce that Brian has sought out and accepted other opportunities.
This is the most likely scenario. If BF cares at all about family, he will find a soft landing as an assistant coach in the NFL and spare his father the drama. I can't imagine him staying on and putting his father in an untenable situation.

The BF quote about quitting kills me, quitting is very underrated. The best choices I've made in life were when I quit something that wasn't working.

Ok boomer. That little bell icon is too tough apparently
So, you’re still here 12 hours later and still make absolutely no sense. WTF bell are you talking about and what does it have to do with an alleged wager we discussed weeks ago? JFC, speak English, you frickin coward.

I'm sure we all agree it should be during the post-game media interviews, but when do you think it WILL happen? And will he take the OL coach with him?

BTW - that play where Plumb blocked air and let that dude destroy Padilla in that drive before the half when we were actually moving the ball and sort of still in the game might be the worst combination of play call and RT play I have ever seen.
How do you know that it was a bad play call? Maybe Padilla would have thrown for a TD if he didn't get smeared on the turf like a bug on a windshield by that ridiculous non-attempt at a block by Plumb.

Why do you think this? It's not at all true.
So I don't have any information either way, but why do you believe that Brian has any great opportunities out there? Brian has a national reputation of being a bad OC and has a racial discrimination suit hanging over his had. He's only held two jobs, one with his father and one with a close family friend. If you want to see a more likely scenario for Brian, check out the career path of Jeff Bowden after he failed as the OC under his father at FSU.

Agreed. This theory has been thrown around so much it seems that people have begun to take it as fact. There’s nothing keeping Brian from taking a low-level assistant position in the NFL. TE’s for example. He’d be OK at OL. Given his and KF’s NFL connections, this is easily done, regardless of any lawsuit. And I think this is exactly what ends up happening. I’ll be absolutely flabbergasted if BF is our OC next year.

I suppose he could be moved to OL at Iowa, but that would seem to be a tough blow to the ego, and I’m not sure he can handle that. Mary wants the grandkids close, of course, so maybe he takes the demotion for the sake of the family. But I don’t see him staying as Iowa’s OC.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
So I don't have any information either way, but why do you believe that Brian has any great opportunities out there? Brian has a national reputation of being a bad OC and has a racial discrimination suit hanging over his had. He's only held two jobs, one with his father and one with a close family friend. If you want to see a more likely scenario for Brian, check out the career path of Jeff Bowden after he failed as the OC under his father at FSU.
Landing a coaching job in the NFL is largely about who you know, much like the rest of the business world. The Ferentzes have deep NFL connections. It’s not a leap at all to suspect that one of those many connections could lead to a job in the league.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Landing a coaching job in the NFL is largely about who you know, much like the rest of the business world. The Ferentzes have deep NFL connections. It’s not a leap at all to suspect that one of those many connections could lead to a job in the league.
I understand that it's a good ol boy network, but it's hard to see Brian getting a job anywhere without a huge pay cut. Unlike Brian, Doyle actually carried a stellar reputation as an S&C coach and he got chased out of his job the next day because of the same suit Brian is named on. Even Belichick might be reluctant to stick his neck out on that one.

I understand that it's a good ol boy network, but it's hard to see Brian getting a job anywhere without a huge pay cut. Unlike Brian, Doyle actually carried a stellar reputation as an S&C coach and he got chased out of his job the next day because of the same suit Brian is named on. Even Belichick might be reluctant to stick his neck out on that one.
There's also way less to Brian's name in the suit, almost all of which has a good chance to be dismissed.

They're not comparable situations.

Brian is "damaged goods".

No one will hire him. Barnett has to get fired for BF to change responsibilities.

Because in today's world, once you have been publicly labeled a racist, you will be considered guilty irrespective of what is fact or fiction. Doyle lasted one day in Jacksonville. Any hint or rumor of a racist statement will get someone like BF banished from the NFL. His only chance to have a career outside Iowa is to win the lawsuit.

See Frosty’s reply. Brian isn’t anywhere near as much of a factor in the lawsuit. Doyle was the fall guy. Also, Doyle isn’t KF’s son. Massive difference.

The NFL pays pretty well. Brian would be making plenty even as a TE coach. Plus, who are we kidding? Finances won’t be an issue for Brian or any of his siblings. I don’t think Brian would expect to be paid what he makes as Iowa’s OC, nor should he — but he’ll be doing fine financially.

Reactions: littlez
Because in today's world, once you have been publicly labeled a racist, you will be considered guilty irrespective of what is fact or fiction. Doyle lasted one day in Jacksonville. Any hint or rumor of a racist statement will get someone like BF banished from the NFL. His only chance to have a career outside Iowa is to win the lawsuit.
BS. Plenty of people in high ranking jobs who have been called racist. Everyone who criticized Kap for kneeling still has a job.

Yf09ca1.jpg

As I stated before he is nearly a shoe in with Burger Kings Assistant Fry Manager so things are looking up

I still remember when he was promoted being optimistic that Brian was the one person who could get KF out of his "old" ways.

A couple games...tOSU, and USC had me thinking that maybe change was coming.

Turns out I got a first class lesson in abnormalities.
I saw a guy with a New Kirk shirt in the Casey’s on N. Dubuque St yesterday. I found it amusing.

Nobody making $900,000+ a year at his age with a family to provide for is going to voluntarily resign, it's insane to even think it's possible.
Money is not an object for that family. I think the better question is "does someone his age with a family want to go through another year of being the most hated person in the state"? I do not think he or his family want that.
If he is not gone or reassigned, the entire narrative surrounding Iowa football next season will be about Brian again. That can't be allowed to happen.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
This. The O line was the biggest issue by far yesterday.

It was also one of the worst game I’ve seen the defense play all year. That will happen when you lose one of your top players though. It became very clear last night how important Cooper DeJean is to this team as a whole.

Very rarely when our D blitzed was it effective. It was like the defense was running into a brick wall most of the time. Nebraskas Oline did a great job picking up the blitz yesterday. There were times that we were sending the house and it was shut down. I’ll give the defense a pass though. It’s tough to be lights out every game.

Back to the Oline. They weren’t able to identify edge rushers for most of the game and let them have a free shot at the QB. They had trouble handling a three man rush let alone blitzing. If Nebraska blitzed, the QB was going to have no time and get hit or have to run for his life. It was bad and why Petras got hurt.

Hell, Lachey was blocking better than anyone on the Oline yesterday. Lachey is another great TE in a long list of them coming out of Iowa. Lachey locking down his defender is the main reason Kaleb was able to get to the second level so fast and score on his long TD run. Lachey was dominating the defenders on some blocks.

I said it on this board earlier this year that I thought Lachey was the best TE we have. And even though LaPorta has stepped it up and addressed some drop issues, I still feel Lachey is the better of the two.

For the life of me I can’t understand why we stopped looking his way after he willed us into the end zone. Lachey was a nightmare for Nebraska on that series. Then for the rest of the game we stop looking for him. I was watching Padilla closely and he was only eyeing the opposite side of the field that Lachey was lined up on. The announcers even mentioned Lachey being open a couple of times.

Anyways, I wanted to end my post with a brighter spot. I don’t think I’m the only one who thinks Lachey is a special TE for us.
There were some head scratching blitzes called with a walk-on corner covering an NFL draft pick wide receiver, one on one. Iowa abandoned what they do best (keeping the ball in front of them and closing fast) and it cost them a couple touchdowns. Substitute a couple field goals in those situations and Iowa wins.

Reactions: GarryO37
This is the most likely scenario. If BF cares at all about family, he will find a soft landing as an assistant coach in the NFL and spare his father the drama. I can't imagine him staying on and putting his father in an untenable situation.

The BF quote about quitting kills me, quitting is very underrated. The best choices I've made in life were when I quit something that wasn't working.
Putting his father in an untenable situation? What about his father putting Brian back into his position? Kirk can't possibly want his son to take the verbal abuse he is going through again. Hell, my heart ached every time one of my kids were called a name at school.

There were some head scratching blitzes called with a walk-on corner covering an NFL draft pick wide receiver, one on one. Iowa abandoned what they do best (keeping the ball in front of them and closing fast) and it cost them a couple touchdowns. Substitute a couple field goals in those situations and Iowa wins.

I completely agree with that. One of Parker’s weaknesses has always been in game adjustments in my opinion. He makes great halftime adjustments. One of the best you will ever see.

But in the middle of the game when Cooper went down, he sent a true freshman and then a walk on out there to cover Nebraska’s #1 WR. And the entire 1st half he had Riley Moss covering Oliver Martin. I would have to rewatch but I’m pretty sure Riley started covering Palmer a bit in the second half. But by that time Palmer had already done the damage Nebraska had set out to do.

1. Brian is a terrible OC who would have been fired midseason anywhere else.

2. The play of the OL was worse than Brian’s play calling. That has to be addressed first.

3. I don’t think it’s mere coincidence that Brian taking over quarterback coach occurred before Spencer Petras’s worst season at Iowa (in year three as a starter no less).

4. Kirk is not the first legendary coach to hang on too long. The bottom line is we conveniently forget before Brian Ferentz there was Greg Davis. Don’t get me wrong, Brian is the worst OC ever under Kirk, but let’s say for the sake of argument Brian leaves and Kirk replaces him with someone halfway competent, how much do you actually expect the offense to change? Sure, there probably won’t be the same predictable Brian patterns of first down runs with second and third down shotgun incompletions, sacks, or 2-yard shallow crossing routes, or the feeble attempts at cuteness inside the red zone (the 1-2 times the offense gets there after a special teams play or turnover) with jet sweeps and reverses that have worked 0/456 times in the past, or abandoning a successful running game down one score with 3 minutes left and two timeouts against a horrible rush defense, but honestly, all of that aside, do you really expect significant improvement coupled with a modern style of play?

Get real. We’ve been talking about the same stale, boring, inefficient offense for over ten years now. Nothing is really changing regardless of who the OC is so long as Kirk is running the show. The way this is most likely going down is 2023 becomes a repeat of 1998. Hayden was battling cancer. What’s Kirk’s excuse? He’s stubborn and arrogant. That’s all it is.

ADVERTISEMENT