ADVERTISEMENT

Where are all the former players?

I've thought the same thing; since only a few have spoken out. But considering the climate with everything right now; I would assume everyone is afraid of the backlash.
Exactly. The pressure to agree with this systemic racism agenda is too much right now.

BUT... i'm still surprised (and disappointed) we're not hearing from a few more people...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">My experience at Iowa is my own I had an amazing one Any adversity I faced helped to forge me into the man I am. The bond I developed with my brothers is still strong. I’ve known Kirk since 1983. Great man! Life isn’t alway perfect. Be the hero in yours! Proud to be a Hawkeye!</p>&mdash; Quinn Early (@QuinnEarly) <a href="">June 30, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I’m sure previous players will come out for or against the program and KF once all the investigations by the law firm is complete and the player committees, current and past have a chance to meet and discuss how to improve the program.

People are in such a rush to pass judgement on someone or something without having all the information. We live in a now, immediate gratification world instead of slowing it down to gather as many facts as possible before making a decision that could be wrong and cause irreversible harm to that person or program. Social media has caused a majority of these problems but has also shown a light on the things that need improvement.

That’s the problem when you use social media to air anything out instead of constructive conversations as a family and going directly to the source. What they did is not how real men act.

Now you have teammates caught in the middle between supporting coaches and fellow teammates with accusations. You risk being labeled. It’s best to be quiet. You also have some who are leveraging valid concerns for their own means and agendas.

When do the former players who loved their time at Iowa & time with the football program show their support & call B.S. on some of this stuff?

Seems like every ACCUSATION has been taken as fact, are they too afraid of being called racist or is there something else going on?
You can't question a black person. You either lose your black card or become an instant racist.

Duh :)

Former players have called out the DJK thing so, they’re not afraid to speak out. I know it doesn’t fit people’s narrative, but maybe most of what is being said is true.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">My experience at Iowa is my own I had an amazing one Any adversity I faced helped to forge me into the man I am. The bond I developed with my brothers is still strong. I’ve known Kirk since 1983. Great man! Life isn’t alway perfect. Be the hero in yours! Proud to be a Hawkeye!</p>&mdash; Quinn Early (@QuinnEarly) <a href=" ">June 30, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Why all the white, you racist?

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
In the age of social media, it is more important to say the right thing, than to do the right thing. The never ending quest for "likes" and attention causes normally reasonable people to adopt unreasonable positions.

Any dissent from the current narrative is met with cries of racism. Experiences, sentiments, or opinions that differ are now dangerous to communicate, so those people just stay quiet, when now is when they are needed the most.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">My experience at Iowa is my own I had an amazing one Any adversity I faced helped to forge me into the man I am. The bond I developed with my brothers is still strong. I’ve known Kirk since 1983. Great man! Life isn’t alway perfect. Be the hero in yours! Proud to be a Hawkeye!</p>&mdash; Quinn Early (@QuinnEarly) <a href=" ">June 30, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Yes, Early has known Ferentz a long time but he played for Fry. I think it would be very difficult for Early to comment on what is being said by the players who have played for Ferentz. If he was there on a regular basis, that would be different.

Yes, Early has known Ferentz a long time but he played for Fry. I think it would be very difficult for Early to comment on what is being said by the players who have played for Ferentz. If he was there on a regular basis, that would be different.
If he has known him for nearly 40 years, I would guess he probably knows him fairly well.....
I degree he want to know everything going on in the program just like it's hard for anyone to know. However I'd say he'd know pretty well that Kirk is not a racist and shouldn't be fired like some fools here seem to think.

In the age of social media, it is more important to say the right thing, than to do the right thing. The never ending quest for "likes" and attention causes normally reasonable people to adopt unreasonable positions.

Any dissent from the current narrative is met with cries of racism. Experiences, sentiments, or opinions that differ are now dangerous to communicate, so those people just stay quiet, when now is when they are needed the most.
I like!!

If he has known him for nearly 40 years, I would guess he probably knows him fairly well.....
I degree he want to know everything going on in the program just like it's hard for anyone to know. However I'd say he'd know pretty well that Kirk is not a racist and shouldn't be fired like some fools here seem to think.
Never said he was racist or should be fired.

Personally keep waiting for Greenway to acknowledge something about this mess. Don't care if its supporting former players, coaches, or the change that the program is working towards, etc. but for someone who's leaned on the Hawkeye fanbase quite often (especially for pimping his vodka) the public ignoring of the issue is disheartening.

Personally keep waiting for Greenway to acknowledge something about this mess. Don't care if its supporting former players, coaches, or the change that the program is working towards, etc. but for someone who's leaned on the Hawkeye fanbase quite often (especially for pimping his vodka) the public ignoring of the issue is disheartening.

I’d rather hear from Abdul Hodge and Bob Sanders. Looks better from an optics standpoint.

I’d rather hear from Abdul Hodge and Bob Sanders. Looks better from an optics standpoint.
I know what you mean, but Bob doesn’t really do social media stuff that I’m aware of and, while it’s not much, Abdul at least made a comment like “better days ahead” regarding this. Absolutely nothing from Chad. And I’m not wanting unwavering support for any coach, just some acknowledgement of the situation or even a token “let’s make it better” or something. Stupid on my part for sure, but the silence just seems off to me.

anybody heard from benny sapp?

When do the former players who loved their time at Iowa & time with the football program show their support & call B.S. on some of this stuff?

Seems like every ACCUSATION has been taken as fact, are they too afraid of being called racist or is there something else going on?
In this social climate, they likely are choosing their words very carefully, as one can be labeled racist for saying that a high-strung guy is like the Energizer Bunny.

Reactions: m.stoops2013

Perfectly said. In today's climate, "politically correct" carries MUCH more weight than being actually correct.

Love it!!!!

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I've thought the same thing; since only a few have spoken out. But considering the climate with everything right now; I would assume everyone is afraid of the backlash.

its also an Iowa tendency to hold your tongue, I think a lot of people realize the no situation of starting an argument online

Maybe it's because they saw the same things that the 40+ players complained about and choose not to be hypocrites and say that none of it happened. Ferentz took it seriously...smart man...and is taking action and we'll all be better for it.

Doyle was shown the door for a reason. Your wishing nothing happened doesn't mean nothing happened.

He's white. He cannot gain anything positive from this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT