ADVERTISEMENT

Where are my off-roaders and over-landers?

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
Who on here enjoys taking your vehicle (type?) off-roading and what type of wheeling do you enjoy? Post pics if you've got 'em?

Type?
  • Rock crawling?
  • Trail riding?
  • Desert duning?
  • Mudding?
  • Overlanding?
  • etc...
Rig?
  • Jeep
  • Toyata
  • Truck
  • SxS
  • 3 or 4 wheelers
  • Bike
  • etc...
Personally, I grew up trail riding in the Ocala Forest and hitting the old dirt quarries with ether my 1974 CJ-5 or 1951 Willys M-38. In Alaska it was a lot of high altitude mountainous adventures in my 1993 YJ and here in Texas its rock crawling in my 2016 JKU. Planning a trip to Silverton and Moab to celebrate my 50th. The only off-roading I don't enjoy is mud--can't stand it. I'm like Anakin with sand.

Here's my current set-up:

o24dUAl.jpg

Your rig reminds me of the time we were in Colorado and wanted to go fishing on an alpine level lake. We were in a Chevy Blazer 4x4 and for the most part the track was straight forward. We got to a 45 degree angle part that was nothing but boulders about the size of the tires. Nope, no further although we could have hiked up as the lake was only about a mile farther. Backed up, turned around and got passed by a Jeep like yours only jacked up way more than yours, I'm guessing that guy had 2' of clearance or better. We got out and watched him "climb" that Jeep right up the wall.

CSB

I haven't done much overlanding, but I'd like too. I enjoying watching vehicle camping videos.
In Colorado, we did head up to an alpine lake, Loch Lomond, years ago. The road was a steep, rock strewn, 4x4 trail that was unlike anything I'd ever driven. Made it to the top, above the tree line, and camped up there overnight, went fishing, went hiking. Only saw a few other people.
I remember coming down the mountain, getting back home, parking, and seeing smoke coming off my brakes/tires.

6Ubr0mMuFp1hdQdeU5oiOHJmpHFudIyrgfby7nrA8n0Mh_UsMMLXRELO_cufXIcactOQdAQVJpTklSmHe4ZscZ18eqGjbRZF0LA41aHWE7DgmaLhdGI

I've had 3 wranglers, but the most bad ass one was an 03 tj. Had it lifted 4" with 33" tires on it. Ground down and rhino lined the whole tub myself. Had a lot of fun with that ride and then foolishly traded it in for a 2017 wrangler that was nicer to ride in but way less fun. That one is gone now too in favor of a 4 runner.

Back in college, I used to drive my hooptie through flooded streets of tallahassee and park in mud pits to go to class. That's about the extent of my off-roading days.

I haven't done much overlanding, but I'd like too. I enjoying watching vehicle camping videos.
In Colorado, we did head up to an alpine lake, Loch Lomond, years ago. The road was a steep, rock strewn, 4x4 trail that was unlike anything I'd ever driven. Made it to the top, above the tree line, and camped up there overnight, went fishing, went hiking. Only saw a few other people.
I remember coming down the mountain, getting back home, parking, and seeing smoke coming off my brakes/tires.

6Ubr0mMuFp1hdQdeU5oiOHJmpHFudIyrgfby7nrA8n0Mh_UsMMLXRELO_cufXIcactOQdAQVJpTklSmHe4ZscZ18eqGjbRZF0LA41aHWE7DgmaLhdGI
Ya, I'm installing a big break kit next month in preparation for Colorado. Badge of Honor trails like Black Bear are going to be hell coming down.

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: Moral
Who on here enjoys taking your vehicle (type?) off-roading and what type of wheeling do you enjoy? Post pics if you've got 'em?

Type?
  • Rock crawling?
  • Trail riding?
  • Desert duning?
  • Mudding?
  • Overlanding?
  • etc...
Rig?
  • Jeep
  • Toyata
  • Truck
  • SxS
  • 3 or 4 wheelers
  • Bike
  • etc...
Personally, I grew up trail riding in the Ocala Forest and hitting the old dirt quarries with ether my 1974 CJ-5 or 1951 Willys M-38. In Alaska it was a lot of high altitude mountainous adventures in my 1993 YJ and here in Texas its rock crawling in my 2016 JKU. Planning a trip to Silverton and Moab to celebrate my 50th. The only off-roading I don't enjoy is mud--can't stand it. I'm like Anakin with sand.

Here's my current set-up:

o24dUAl.jpg
Hey Op... you gotta do Onion Creek road when you go to Moab... it runs right next to the Fisher Towers with epic scenery in every direction...
Onion%2BCreek%2B089.JPG

Reactions: Moral and Pinehawk
Man that's gorgeous! My CJ bud is planning our trip (he went last Spring), so I'll ask him about it. Thanks!
This is the most scenic road I've been on.. I follow a guy on YouTube that has been to basically all the good roads in Utah and he also said the views down this road are unmatched... It's crazy to me this road isn't even busy.. 13 miles of EPICNESS that seems to be a secret.. Theres 18 shallow creek crossings on this road that keeps the dust down too.. I took my stock 2020 4x4 silverado Z71 with offroad tires down this road with no problems at all but your setup would be a blast... I'm sure your gonna be set with what your buddy has planned but if you can fit it in it's a must...

I'm heading to Capitol Reef NP in about 9 weeks to do the Burr Trail , the Loop The Fold drive, and the Cathedral Valley drive... I'm pretty pumped!

Last edited:
This is the most scenic road I've been on.. I follow a guy on YouTube that has been to basically all the good roads in Utah and he also said the views down this road are unmatched... It's crazy to me this road isn't even busy.. 13 miles of EPICNESS that seems to be a secret.. Theres 18 shallow creek crossings on this road that keeps the dust down too.. I took my stock 4x4 silverado down this road with no problems at all but your setup would be a blast... I'm sure your gonna be set with what your buddy has planned but if you can fit it in it's a must...

I'm heading to Capitol Reef NP in about 9 weeks to do the Burr Trail , the Loop The Fold drive, and the Cathedral Valley drive... I'm pretty pumped!
Bring some photos back for those of us stuck behind a desk in the city!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT