ADVERTISEMENT

Where are the lawsuits...?

hawktech

HR All-State
Aug 6, 2002
The fact that the Big Ten will not share their data as to why they will not allow the member schools to play football is mind-boggling.

This whole mess is dumbfounding. Especially considering when people under 30 who are healthy, are 99% likely to have no symptoms from covid worse than a common cold. With almost all being asymptomatic.

List your reasons for why the B1G will be sued...? There have to be at least a dozen!
The lawsuits are coming. Bet the house on it!

This is going to cost the league, schools and their communities $ billions... Maybe we need to start a gofundme to hire some top attorneys, and slap the league leadership (whoever the F that is) silly.... Do it for the players.
Dangit. Writing this is making me angry!

Reactions: ClarindaA's
The conferences are damned if they do play and damned if they don't in far as lawsuits are concerned. If they play and players get COVID they will be sued as well, and contrary to your description of young people with COVID, most people who recover have permanent organ damage, usually to their hearts and lungs which would be career ending for many athletes. Again, more lawsuits. They are in a no win situation.

The conferences are damned if they do play and damned if they don't in far as lawsuits are concerned. If they play and players get COVID they will be sued as well, and contrary to your description of young people with COVID, most people who recover have permanent organ damage, usually to their hearts and lungs which would be career ending for many athletes. Again, more lawsuits. They are in a no win situation.

They are more likely to get covid going to class...

But again, almost 100% will have nearly not effects from covid. That is fact.

Additionally, every athlete has already been informed of covid. They can opt out from playing. Correct?

Cigaretteman most people who recover absolutely do not have long-term or permanent organ damage. Long-term complications from any viral illness (such as myocarditis) are always possible. Iowa doctor has mentioned they have closely monitored any athlete/staff testing positive for COVID, and to date none of them showed long-term damage. So that is definitely not most people who get COVID.

Actual Doctor here, could you cite your references? I am unaware of any published research done on the long term consequences of a virus which was discovered less than a year ago.

I’d like to see your data for most people have permanent organ damage from a virus that’s only 9 months old.

Cigaretteman most people who recover absolutely do not have long-term or permanent organ damage. Long-term complications from any viral illness (such as myocarditis) are always possible. Iowa doctor has mentioned they have closely monitored any athlete/staff testing positive for COVID, and to date none of them showed long-term damage. So that is definitely not most people who get COVID.

Its like the list of 50 different potential complications on every commercial for a medicine. There is always the chance.

They are more likely to get covid going to class...

But again, almost 100% will have nearly not effects from covid. That is fact.

Additionally, every athlete has already been informed of covid. They can opt out from playing. Correct?

Booze and fornication. No way the keep it from spreading around campus. The kids must play.

What would be the basis for their lawsuit against the big ten for postponing the season?
And want would be the basis if they played and got Covid-19? A lot of safety measures put in place and they could opt out and retain scholarship.

There are zero grounds for a legitimate legal case

"But we want to play" is not a legal case against the B1G

to build on this, now even the JAMA is back-tracking on their original publication, which they admit was full of errors. Astounding. So as of now, nothing about COVID has been proven to be any more dangerous for long-term damages than any viral illness.

Players on all teams in all conferences are getting covid *right now*. Will they not get to sue?

There are zero grounds for a legitimate legal case

"But we want to play" is not a legal case against the B1G

I wouldn't know for certain, as I am not an attorney who has researched various reasons to file suit.... But I just did a search, And there are already individuals, and groups of people, from several B1G schools filing & threatening lawsuits... So there must be some justification.

Define most and provide a link. TIA

Reactions: ping72
Wow. Absolutely made up info on long term affects.

Directly from the linked article below. Also a keyword is missing from some posters about causing long-term health complications, MAY.

“Much is still unknown about how COVID-19will affect people over time.”
Sure. It doesn't happen to every person. No argument here. People in this thread seem to think there are no long term effects from C19. That's simply false.

Might as well never play football again with this logic. You can get CTE, severe injuries like blowing out your knee or neck and back pain etc you never recover from playing football.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
I just posted a link from the Mayo Clinic stating there are certainly long term effects. Post #17 of this thread.

No one is disputing that. What started this was the unsubstantiated statement that "most" people who get COVID have long-term impacts. Earlier in the thread I cited where today JAMA is "correcting" their earlier paper that stated there was a higher prevalence of long-term effects of COVID than other viral illnesses. To date, no such impact has been proven.

The story from Mayo Clinic literally says this:

"Older people and people with many serious medical conditions are the most likely to experience lingering COVID-19 symptoms."

That doesn't mean that no young person will have long-term impacts from COVID. The case of the Indiana football player bears that out. Setting public health policy and making choices is all about assessing risk.

Sure. It doesn't happen to every person. No argument here. People in this thread seem to think there are no long term effects from C19. That's simply false.

Who has said there are no long-term impacts? What I and others have said is that there is no evidence it is any more likely than long-term impacts from influenza or other viral illnesses.

There is little risk of liability for playing. The risk is known. If not know I'll bet it is in a waiver for players and coaches to sign. No one has a "right" to be in the Iowa or any other program. Also, assuming it got to a jury, which such claims would most likely not, who'd believe that a college student didn't know the elevated risk associated with close contact?

There is also little risk of a suit over cancelling because the B!G appears to have the legal authority to do so. Also, as I said above, no one has a right to play football. They do have a right to have their schollies and contracts honored, probably, so that's going to be spendy with no income.

FOIA suits will probably reveal the docs upon which any conspiracy kind of a case would need to be built. Those docs would require some outlandish behavior. We certainly are hearing different stories from different institutions so there's a little smoke but I'd guess no fire.

The massive loss of revenue this year from no TV/streaming contracts is going to hurt the schools, badly and someone may be looking for a litigation based revenue there. There will be less money on the table for the next TV/streaming rights as well. The networks will be seeking to recover their massive loss from this season and certainly aren't going to make it rain like the good old days of 2019.

I wouldn't know for certain, as I am not an attorney who has researched various reasons to file suit.... But I just did a search, And there are already individuals, and groups of people, from several B1G schools filing & threatening lawsuits... So there must be some justification.

Of course people are filing or threatening lawsuits. Lawyers love frivolous lawsuits. $$$$$ even if no legal basis to justify

Who has said there are no long-term impacts?
I've seen it repeated ad nauseum in the FB and OT boards. I get it. People want their football and it creates an emotional response to the dangers of this virus. Our POTUS hasn't really helped the matter by giving conflicting and false info to the public.

Reactions: hawktech
What exactly is 'long term effects'? Obviously so far it has to be less than 7 1/2 months since that is how long it has been in USA.

Of course people are filing or threatening lawsuits. Lawyers love frivolous lawsuits. $$$$$ even if no legal basis to justify

That's more of a coastal problem. There is little or no money and a lot of valuable time wasted on frivolous suits because most lawyers do them on contingent fee basis. For every frivolous lawsuit there is a frivolous defense calculated to burden the plaintiffs and hence incentivize low dollar settlements....and the defense lawyers are getting paid hourly.

Now, in Hawaii, Cali, NY and Mass you can bring some pretty ludicrous theories and they even make it to a jury. Most of the rest of the country makes it hard for plaintiffs these days. Not to say the B1G won't get sued but it most likely won't get anywhere.

Reactions: David1979
I've seen it repeated ad nauseum in the FB and OT boards. I get it. People want their football and it creates an emotional response to the dangers of this virus. Our POTUS hasn't really helped the matter by giving conflicting and false info to the public.

ORANGE MAN BAD ALERT! Please emerge from your safe places and burn the internet.
ORANGE MAN BAD ALERT! Please emerge from your safe places and burn the internet.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
How does anyone know yet the "long-term" effects of Covid-19?

ADVERTISEMENT