ADVERTISEMENT

Where Can You Live on Minimum Wage?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
18698460_10155959899027908_860931429392750371_n.png

Minimum wage gets you $1,257 per month. I know there are lots of apartments one could get for way under that.
I was expecting this response from some of our cons.

Sure, there are some places you could find a 1-bedroom apartment for that.

So the meme's specific claim is wrong. But is it wrong in a more meaningful sense. You know what I mean. Shelter along with food, transportation, health care, yada, yada.

Once you have to look around to find places where could could afford that 1-berdroom apartment on minimum wage, it drives home that even there, you can't actually live on MW.

And, of course, there are so many places where the meme IS literally true.

So the meme's specific claim is wrong. But is it wrong in a more meaningful sense. You know what I mean. Shelter along with food, transportation, health care, yada, yada.

Once you have to look around to find places where could could afford that 1-berdroom apartment on minimum wage, it drives home that even there, you can't actually live on MW.

Wrong memes aren't really helpful in making an argument. If you want to advance the idea that minimum wage is hard to live on, don't post memes that are so obviously wrong that your point loses credibility. The reality is you can get an apartment for $400 and you can eat for $200 that leaves you half your wages which is enough for utilities, a car, and even some entertainment. Red state voters are who you need to convince and they aren't going to be moved by this argument because they know it's wrong. And if Sanders is putting this out, that just shows you how worthless he has become.

Last edited:
If you have a job that makes minimum wage then you should be working more than 40 hours a week. So even though your question has already been debunked, a person making minimum wage should actually make more than what was stated.

Wrong memes aren't really helpful in making an argument. If you want to advance the idea that minimum wage is hard to live on, don't post memes that are so obviously wrong that your point loses credibility. The reality is you can get an apartment for $400 and you can eat for $200 that leaves you half your wages which is enough for utilities, a car, and even some entertainment. Red state voters are you need to convince and they aren't going to be moved by this argument because they know it's wrong. And if Sanders is putting this out, that just shows you how worthless he has become.

13py6c5BSnBkic.gif

Mulberry, Florida. You can rent a tiny apartment for $400 a month and it's right behind a big shopping plaza with a Publix which is where you could actually work and walk to get all of your necessities to alleviate the need for a vehicle. Up the road is a Watson Clinic. Walkable healthcare.

Or...you could work on Hillary's campaign and make $3000 a month on minimum wage which is more than plenty to make it in America. And with the 90 hour work weeks think of how much savings you'll have since you won't have any time to spend it on anything.

Reactions: BrianNole09
Wrong memes aren't really helpful in making an argument. If you want to advance the idea that minimum wage is hard to live on, don't post memes that are so obviously wrong that your point loses credibility. The reality is you can get an apartment for $400 and you can eat for $200 that leaves you half your wages which is enough for utilities, a car, and even some entertainment. Red state voters are who you need to convince and they aren't going to be moved by this argument because they know it's wrong. And if Sanders is putting this out, that just shows you how worthless he has become.

I don't always agree with Nat but this is one of the best posts I've read on here.

Everyone look over here, they're eating each other!

Why does everyone assume that someone with a minimum wage job is stuck there forever?

Has no one ever heard of the concept of an "entry-level" job? That's what a minimum wage job is... entry-level. After you develop some skills and experience, you're supposed to leverage that to get a better job.

Why does everyone assume that someone with a minimum wage job is stuck there forever?

Has no one ever heard of the concept of an "entry-level" job? That's what a minimum wage job is... entry-level. After you develop some skills and experience, you're supposed to leverage that to get a better job.
I don't see anyone making that assumption.

The OP is suggesting that minimum wage workers can't afford housing. Even if true, that's a short-term problem.
That's a bad argument. You can't exactly climb the corporate ladder if you are homeless while you wait for a raise. Obviously whatever entry job you start would need to be enough to support subsistence. In much of the nation, $7.25 will do that. In some parts it will not.

Why don't we ever hear about poor people moving out of the cities to work in a small town? Welfare offices should consider resettlement programs

Last edited:
Reactions: UKGrad93
Individuals can live on minimum wage, but how about families?
Good point.

But let's be clear, most individuals can't live on MW in most places. That some can, some places, doesn't mean we should dismiss concern for individuals in this equation.

The meme - flawed though it is - is still more true than false.

First I'll say you have to be pretty much scum of the earth to make minimum wage. When my 16 year old went out and get her first job she got two $10 an hour job offers.

To play devil's advocate you can't get a $400 dollar apartment anywhere. You can't anywhere close to Iowa City. But lets just use that number to say you could. Your $1200 isn't pure take home. You will at minimum pay social security, and the lowest state and federal amounts which in total will take about 20% of your check. That leaves you with about $960 dollars. Then take out that mythical $400 rent. Now you have $560.

With that $560 dollars you have some basics like a phone (oh no a poor has a phone!) $50, electric $65, $200 in groceries, $90 for most basic cable and internet, doubt the $400 apartment has water paid so that is $40.

And then this car. How did the poor buy the car? Did they save up and pay for it in cash? Just for fun we will say they did. Now you have a car, and if it is an older car it will have maintenance issues that will be catastrophic to a budge. We won't factor in that in this ideal world. There is car insurance which will be another $50 per month. Tags aren't free so we can factor in another $10 per month and gas at $50 per month.

So on that bare bones budget you are at $560. No room in the budget for clothes. Even poors wear clothes. Where is this "some for entertainment" part of the budget?

No medical insurance. Get sick and have to go to a doctor. You're screwed. Miss work because you are sick? Oh you better not because if you miss one day of work you are screwed.

No room in the budget for any car repairs, oil changes, new tires, any routine stuff. You are already in a deficit. Alternator goes out? You are screwed. Get a traffic ticket? You are screwed. The furniture in the apartment must be free because there is no way you can save up to buy anything. I mean you are already at negative when just factoring in basic monthly expenses.

First I'll say you have to be pretty much scum of the earth to make minimum wage. When my 16 year old went out and get her first job she got two $10 an hour job offers.

To play devil's advocate you can't get a $400 dollar apartment anywhere. You can't anywhere close to Iowa City. But lets just use that number to say you could. Your $1200 isn't pure take home. You will at minimum pay social security, and the lowest state and federal amounts which in total will take about 20% of your check. That leaves you with about $960 dollars. Then take out that mythical $400 rent. Now you have $560.

With that $560 dollars you have some basics like a phone (oh no a poor has a phone!) $50, electric $65, $200 in groceries, $90 for most basic cable and internet, doubt the $400 apartment has water paid so that is $40.

And then this car. How did the poor buy the car? Did they save up and pay for it in cash? Just for fun we will say they did. Now you have a car, and if it is an older car it will have maintenance issues that will be catastrophic to a budge. We won't factor in that in this ideal world. There is car insurance which will be another $50 per month. Tags aren't free so we can factor in another $10 per month and gas at $50 per month.

So on that bare bones budget you are at $560. No room in the budget for clothes. Even poors wear clothes. Where is this "some for entertainment" part of the budget?

No medical insurance. Get sick and have to go to a doctor. You're screwed. Miss work because you are sick? Oh you better not because if you miss one day of work you are screwed.

No room in the budget for any car repairs, oil changes, new tires, any routine stuff. You are already in a deficit. Alternator goes out? You are screwed. Get a traffic ticket? You are screwed. The furniture in the apartment must be free because there is no way you can save up to buy anything. I mean you are already at negative when just factoring in basic monthly expenses.
You should get a job making memes. Your argument is a lot better than Sanders.

You should get a job making memes. Your argument is a lot better than Sanders.

I explain memes on HROT as a volunteer in my free time. Sanders isn't saying that you can't afford an apartment on minimum wage. He is saying that you can't afford to live on minimum wage.

I explain memes on HROT as a volunteer in my free time. Sanders isn't saying that you can't afford an apartment on minimum wage. He is saying that you can't afford to live on minimum wage.
Then he needs a copy editor, because he is in fact saying you can't get an apartment anywhere in America for under a grand. Sanders has lots of great ideas. He sucks at messaging. Volunteer for him. He needs help.

You can however get a 2 bedroom apartment in Iowa City for under $800 so two people making minimum wage could room together.

Of course you can. You can't support a family of 4 on MW (nor should you), but you can. Minimum wage is meant for jobs to be held by students or those getting their first job experience, usually while living with parents.

You can do it though, as a single. I used to eat for around $10/week while paying $400/mo for an apartment while I did a $7/hour internship at the end of college. This was my shopping list at Wal-mart in an average week in 2002:
1 loaf bread - .50
1 pack hot dogs - .50
1 pack hot dog buns - .50
1 bag lettuce (re-closable) - $2.50
1 pack generic kraft singles $1.50
sometimes a pack of mini carrots - don't recall price
several bananas - I don't recall the price.
I kept ranch, peanut butter, and ketchup available
I drank tap water usually

I cooked hot dogs and grilled cheese sandwiches on one of those george foreman grills.

Poor? yes. Unlivable? certainly not.

The problem is that people falsely believe they should be able to support a family on a single minimum wage income. Nope, not in America (not anywhere). That's not what minimum wage jobs are for.

Of course you can. You can't support a family of 4 on MW (nor should you), but you can. Minimum wage is meant for jobs to be held by students or those getting their first job experience, usually while living with parents.

You can do it though, as a single. I used to eat for around $10/week while paying $400/mo for an apartment while I did a $7/hour internship at the end of college. This was my shopping list at Wal-mart in an average week in 2002:
1 loaf bread - .50
1 pack hot dogs - .50
1 pack hot dog buns - .50
1 bag lettuce (re-closable) - $2.50
1 pack generic kraft singles $1.50
sometimes a pack of mini carrots - don't recall price
several bananas - I don't recall the price.
I kept ranch, peanut butter, and ketchup available
I drank tap water usually

I cooked hot dogs and grilled cheese sandwiches on one of those george foreman grills.

Poor? yes. Unlivable? certainly not.

The problem is that people falsely believe they should be able to support a family on a single minimum wage income. Nope, not in America (not anywhere). That's not what minimum wage jobs are for.
Wow, I never thought I'd envy a gal that went on a dinner date with Iowafbksbeidneudjnd until I saw the menu that you offered. :)

Mulberry, Florida. You can rent a tiny apartment for $400 a month and it's right behind a big shopping plaza with a Publix which is where you could actually work and walk to get all of your necessities to alleviate the need for a vehicle. Up the road is a Watson Clinic. Walkable healthcare.

Or...you could work on Hillary's campaign and make $3000 a month on minimum wage which is more than plenty to make it in America. And with the 90 hour work weeks think of how much savings you'll have since you won't have any time to spend it on anything.
Boy, it's always about Hillary with you, isn't it. She is gone. Let her go.

Reactions: naturalmwa
There are plenty of manufacturing jobs that pay well above min wage if people were willing to move to where they are. Can't quite understand why we have to pay for people who can't find a job just because they want to stay in a specific city. Move to Indiana and work a blue collar job you lazy bastards. Oh, and no, I wouldn't want to have to do that but that's why I took out student loans and went to school so I could get a decent job.

Minimum wage was never meant to be a "living wage" to solely support an individual--let alone a family. It is primarily for younger workers trying to get a leg up & some experience in the job market---perhaps a high school or college student living at home. If you're not in that category and working full time for minimum wage, you likely need to have an additional job. If you're trying to raise a family, a minimum wage job shouldn't be your primary source of income.

Reactions: Panic1769
Why would anyone be working for minimum wage? My kids easily found jobs for more than minimum wage.
Minimum wage in Nebraska is $9.00 an hour. All of the fast food places in McCook have sings posted that they start at $10.00 an hour. I'm not sure who works for minimum wage either.

There are plenty of manufacturing jobs that pay well above min wage if people were willing to move to where they are. Can't quite understand why we have to pay for people who can't find a job just because they want to stay in a specific city. Move to Indiana and work a blue collar job you lazy bastards. Oh, and no, I wouldn't want to have to do that but that's why I took out student loans and went to school so I could get a decent job.
1028420.jpg

Can't get qualified people to apply. Changed our pee test to a yes or no question just to fill jobs.

I can't find people to work, it's terrible.

It took us 3 months to fill a delivery driver position...at $15/hour

Reactions: Gimmered
I can't find people to work, it's terrible.

It took us 3 months to fill a delivery driver position...at $15/hour

A $15/hr wage is a huge increase from minimum wage. I think people can get by( in most cities) on $2400/month before taxes.

No person should work a 40 hr a week, minimum wage job and not be able to support themselves. We should have adjusted wages each year since the 60's so the huge increase is not a big hit to employers. Ten to twenty cents a yr would have solved this problem.

Reactions: BrianNole09
A $15/hr wage is a huge increase from minimum wage. I think people can get by( in most cities) on $2400/month before taxes.

No person should work a 40 hr a week, minimum wage job and not be able to support themselves. We should have adjusted wages each year since the 60's so the huge increase is not a big hit to employers. Ten to twenty cents a yr would have solved this problem.

No. Wages should be set by the market, not some false floor established by government.

Minimum wage is meant for jobs to be held by students or those getting their first job experience, usually while living with parents.
Tell that to those trying to live on minimum wage who don't fall into those categories.

Not that such wages are justified even if they are limited to those folks, but they aren't just limited to those folks.

ADVERTISEMENT