ADVERTISEMENT

Where could I find 3A Iowa HS wrestling results…

Okay, bummer for the kid I was really pulling for (Abe Duval-195 Marion, finished 3rd). Great kid, great family.

Thanks!
There are a number of districts where most weights are wrestling for one spot as the other spot was already set before the matches began.

Makes it hard when you pull that district draw.

Reactions: mstp1992
There are a number of districts where most weights are wrestling for one spot as the other spot was already set before the matches began.

Am I missing some whit or sarcasm here?

This. If your district is stacked with 2 guys who finish 1-5 at state, a lot of third place District finishers watch guys get on the podium at state, who they have beaten during the year.
I am glad they seed the State Tournament now. Back in the day they it was preset and often times you had one side loaded. In addition, if you lost 1st round you were done. No double elimination. If you lost in the quarter-final, you’d go strait to the consolation side and there were only six placers.
The format today is so much more equitable.

Reactions: SPGroth
If you're in the SEP, WSR, WaukNW district you're going up against teams that are going to qualify 10+ wrestlers. It means most weights the other 7 teams are wrestling for 1 spot.

Hey, it happens. I'm not saying it's unfair but it's a real beyotch to draw that district over an easier one.

If you're in the SEP, WSR, WaukNW district you're going up against teams that are going to qualify 10+ wrestlers. It means most weights the other 7 teams are wrestling for 1 spot.

Hey, it happens. I'm not saying it's unfair but it's a real beyotch to draw that district over an easier one.

But that’s not already set. They do wrestle the matches for a reason. I saw a 2A district where a sub .500 wrestler knocked out #4 in the state and qualified while #4 is staying home. That kid didn’t think for a moment that things were already decided.

This. If your district is stacked with 2 guys who finish 1-5 at state, a lot of third place District finishers watch guys get on the podium at state, who they have beaten during the year.
I am glad they seed the State Tournament now. Back in the day they it was preset and often times you had one side loaded. In addition, if you lost 1st round you were done. No double elimination. If you lost in the quarter-final, you’d go strait to the consolation side and there were only six placers.
The format today is so much more equitable.

I have to say I do miss the unseeded tournament. It was so unique and every round seemed to have multiple big matchups. Now the early round or so is fairly meh. Don’t get me wrong, gun to my head I would pick the new way, but I enjoyed that element of the old way.

But that’s not already set. They do wrestle the matches for a reason. I saw a 2A district where a sub .500 wrestler knocked out #4 in the state and qualified while #4 is staying home. That kid didn’t think for a moment that things were already decided.

I have to say I do miss the unseeded tournament. It was so unique and every round seemed to have multiple big matchups. Now the early round or so is fairly meh. Don’t get me wrong, gun to my head I would pick the new way, but I enjoyed that element of the old way.
#4 going down is the exception to the rule, as you already know. Some Districts are always stacked, because some teams are always really good. Like Don Bosco (where are you Spicolli). Lisbon, WSR. However, they cheat because they recruit.
The old way brackets were novel for fans, bad for wrestlers.

Last edited:
#4 going down is the exception to the rule, as you already know. Some Districts are always stacked, because some teams are always really good. Like Don Bosco (where are you Spicolli). Lisbon, WSR. However, they cheat because they recruit.

It's just silly to claim anything is decided beforehand. Total loser mentality.

• Haha
Reactions: Inthecircle
I had a son that started wrestling in his sophomore year, never wrestled before. His senior year he went 25-10 which was pretty solid. Came time for his sectional and he had #1 and #4 in his sectional, said 'Dad, these guys have placed at state more years than I have wrestled' He had fun watching the one win state that year and the other place highly. It happens.

Reactions: Inthecircle
Every high school wrestler has a firm grip on the mentality it takes to compete at the highest level? Where are you coming from? For the first time, I may have taken the Spooner bait?

The dirtiest thing the private schools like the Dons do is control admissions/class size. It's criminal that they're in 8 man yet have rosters the size of A and probably some 1A schools.

Lisbon is clean as a whistle though, can't blame a school or program for family members convincing other family members and friends to move there and compete. What's Smith supposed to do, say no thanks you didn't go to kindergarten here so you can't wrestle, sorry.

The dirtiest thing the private schools like the Dons do is control admissions/class size. It's criminal that they're in 8 man yet have rosters the size of A and probably some 1A schools.

Lisbon is clean as a whistle though, can't blame a school or program for family members convincing other family members and friends to move there and compete. What's Smith supposed to do, say no thanks you didn't go to kindergarten here so you can't wrestle, sorry.
That may be one of the better ones I have read. Please tell me you typed that with a straight face?

Every high school wrestler has a firm grip on the mentality it takes to compete at the highest level? Where are you coming from? For the first time, I may have taken the Spooner bait?

No. However, it is the mentality that sports are supposed to instill in the participants. You know, the old mentality of working hard, believing in yourself, putting your best foot forward, fighting till the final buzzer, etc.

I miss the days when sports were about that versus today’s “if you’re not the best just quit” mentality.

It’s funny that you think that’s what happens.

No. However, it is the mentality that sports are supposed to instill in the participants. You know, the old mentality of working hard, believing in yourself, putting your best foot forward, fighting till the final buzzer, etc.

I miss the days when sports were about that versus today’s “if you’re not the best just quit” mentality.

Now that mentality I agree with.

What, you think Smith flew out to Vegas recruiting the Avilas, or do you think he flew them in first class to wow them and show them they should be in the program?

I promise you I'm a lot closer to the program and know a lot more about what happens than you do.

My intital post on recruiting is tongue and cheek. However, I do know West Branch used to watch enrollment. They always seemed to be the largest 1A in Football, 15-20 years ago.

Reactions: GoHawks1996
What, you think Smith flew out to Vegas recruiting the Avilas, or do you think he flew them in first class to wow them and show them they should be in the program?

I promise you I'm a lot closer to the program and know a lot more about what happens than you do.

There are literally endless ways to support, endorse, assist, etc. without actually doing the recruiting himself. For instance, Jason Christensen at SEP never recruited anyone. He had Jessman Smith for that. But it had his full buy in and endorsement.

My intital post on recruiting is tongue and cheek. However, I do know West Branch used to watch enrollment. They always seemed to be the largest 1A in Football, 15-20 years ago.

How did they do that? Kick kids out? Redraw district lines annually? Suppress live births?

• Haha
Reactions: el dub

You think private schools pass on tuition dollars so they can play 8 man?

They have a big roster because they have more involved parents. Small town school pride. Winning tradition.

There are literally endless ways to support, endorse, assist, etc. without actually doing the recruiting himself. For instance, Jason Christensen at SEP never recruited anyone. He had Jessman Smith for that. But it had his full buy in and endorsement.

How did they do that? Kick kids out? Redraw district lines annually? Suppress live births?
Very selective on open enrollment. You’re naive if you don’t think people know other people, that’s how things get done. Perhaps in your perfect world everyone plays by the rules and is fair.
if it was proved, they wouldn’t be getting away with it, would they?

Very selective on open enrollment. You’re naive if you don’t think people know other people, that’s how things get done. Perhaps in your perfect world everyone plays by the rules and is fair.

I don’t think I’ve accused anyone of doing anything against the rules, have I?

Can you explain how they can be selective on OE? What criteria do they use to deny?

You asked, “How did they do that?”
I gave you my answer. Don’t play spin Dr.

You answered but added your own editorial and spin: “if it was proved, they wouldn’t be getting away with it, would they?” It was literally a question and I answered. Lol

You answered but added your own editorial and spin: “if it was proved, they wouldn’t be getting away with it, would they?” It was literally a question and I answered. Lol
You’re starting to remind of Crabby. You’re always right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT