ADVERTISEMENT

Where did warp speed Wetjen go?

I don't know how to pronounce his name, but he returned the ball twice in the Wisconsin game and looked like he was shot out of a cannon. Can we use him somewhere on O please?
Agree - that kids mofo fast and heard he’s one if not the fastest dudes on the team… give him an inch and that kid will take a mile … we need to utilize that deadly speed because he could be a game changer

I don't know how to pronounce his name, but he returned the ball twice in the Wisconsin game and looked like he was shot out of a cannon. Can we use him somewhere on O please?
This is a weird situation. Is Kaleb Brown still out of the WR rotation? and if Kaleb is out then we might think we could see Wetjen in there for some snaps.

Maybe he doesnt know the pass routes yet? But you would think he could come in and run a deep go route just to bend the defense and take a player or two away from the center of the field.

He seems to be a player you want to just get the ball in his hands whether on a quick slant, a WR screen behind the LOS, or whatever

This is a weird situation. Is Kaleb Brown still out of the WR rotation? and if Kaleb is out then we might think we could see Wetjen in there for some snaps.

Maybe he doesnt know the pass routes yet? But you would think he could come in and run a deep go route just to bend the defense and take a player or two away from the center of the field.

He seems to be a player you want to just get the ball in his hands whether on a quick slant, a WR screen behind the LOS, or whatever
To my untrained eye he seems to have more speed/quickness than any of these other WRs they trot out there for Saturday cardio…also, what about Alec Wick? Wasn’t he raising eyebrows in Spring ball and supposedly one of our fastest players? I am guessing he is hurt? 🤔 Personally I have seen enough of Vines to know he is not the the answer. Also Rags and Anderson don’t seem to be anything special. Having said that, I freely admit that BF, OL, and QB are the real deficiencies/problems on offense…😎

Maybe football coaches know more than fans. Wetjen is a walk-on from Iowa Western JC where as a senior he had 18 catches for 304 yards and 1 TD. His offer list included 0 power 5 teams, 0 group of 5 teams, and 4 FCS teams.

In my opinion, if our qb doesn’t some how find a way to be able to hit the wide side of a barn, it isn’t going to matter…
Glenn Howerton Miss GIF by PeacockTV

To my untrained eye he seems to have more speed/quickness than any of these other WRs they trot out there for Saturday cardio…also, what about Alec Wick? Wasn’t he raising eyebrows in Spring ball and supposedly one of our fastest players? I am guessing he is hurt? 🤔 Personally I have seen enough of Vines to know he is not the the answer. Also Rags and Anderson don’t seem to be anything special. Having said that, I freely admit that BF, OL, and QB are the real deficiencies/problems on offense…😎
Yeah about Alex Wick as he made a few nice catches last year and he is supposed to be fast. I cant remember his name even being called during any game this year.

I am still high on Anderson as he has some ups and will catch most balls I think

Maybe football coaches know more than fans. Wetjen is a walk-on from Iowa Western JC where as a senior he had 18 catches for 304 yards and 1 TD. His offer list included 0 power 5 teams, 0 group of 5 teams, and 4

Yeah about Alex Wick as he made a few nice catches last year and he is supposed to be fast. I cant remember his name even being called during any game this year.

I am still high on Anderson as he has some ups and will catch most balls I think
Yeah, maybe I am not giving Anderson enough leeway….done with Rags and Vines though. 😉Haha

Yeah, maybe I am not giving Anderson enough leeway….done with Rags and Vines though. 😉Haha
Rags has made a ton of great plays over the years so he has nothing to prove. His catch, run and layout to the pylon against PSU 2 years ago was awesome. Vines, I just havent seen him get enough targets.

Reactions: littlez
No sense getting the ball to playmakers in space, BF wouldn’t know what to do on second down if it was less than 2nd and 8. Even the people who put up the graphics would stumble.

Maybe football coaches know more than fans. Wetjen is a walk-on from Iowa Western JC where as a senior he had 18 catches for 304 yards and 1 TD. His offer list included 0 power 5 teams, 0 group of 5 teams, and 4 FCS teams.
Stars don’t matter, trust the coaches on reaching on recruits, unless it’s walk ons

Reactions: Fan In Black

Do you remember this guy from a MAC school no less. BF obviously thought he had no potential either. Makes you think.

ReceivingRushingScrimmage
YearSchoolConfClassPosGRecYdsAvgTDAttYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgTD
*2018BuffaloMACFRWR121839521.930001839521.93
2020IowaBig TenJRWR800023819.0023819.00
*2021IowaBig TenSRWR142132315.43781.102833111.83
*2022PurdueBig TenSR13110136112.412231.50112136412.212
CareerOverall149207914.01811494.50160212813.318
Buffalo1839521.930001839521.93
Iowa2132315.439465.103036912.33
Purdue110136112.412231.50112136412.212

Charlie Jones

CHARLIEJONES​

Cincinnati Bengals

Yeah, they are brilliant on recruiting and coaching quarterbacks and running the offense! 🤣

Rags has made a ton of great plays over the years so he has nothing to prove. His catch, run and layout to the pylon against PSU 2 years ago was awesome. Vines, I just havent seen him get enough targets.
Sorry, have to respectfully disagree - I have seen a ton of droppsies (not great plays) from Rags over the years…obviously his PSU catch was epic. I actually really likes Rags his Freshman year, but IMHO he had regressed since then…probably in large part due to BF and QB play in his defense.

Do you remember this guy from a MAC school no less. BF obviously thought he had no potential either. Makes you think.

YearSchoolConfClassPosGRecYdsAvgTDAttYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgTD
ReceivingRushingScrimmage
*2018BuffaloMACFRWR121839521.930001839521.93
2020IowaBig TenJRWR800023819.0023819.00
*2021IowaBig TenSRWR142132315.43781.102833111.83
*2022PurdueBig TenSR13110136112.412231.50112136412.212
CareerOverall149207914.01811494.50160212813.318
Buffalo1839521.930001839521.93
Iowa2132315.439465.103036912.33
Purdue110136112.412231.50112136412.212

Charlie Jones

CHARLIEJONES​

Cincinnati Bengals

BF obviously thought he had no potential either. Makes you think.

Where do you get that BF obviously thought he had no potential? Jones say that or BF? Or did you just make it up?

The story during the Iowa Purdue game was that Charlie wanted to play with his best friend who he had been playing sports since he was a child. I believe they were room mates while at Purdue.

• Haha
Reactions: DewHawk
Check this out, start at 12:50. Get to see the delicious safety. On kickoff watch Wetjens speed! Almost looks like it's sped up.
Kirk has him fair catching 90% of the time. Lol
Nowhere for this speed on O? Lol

How do you know Kirk had anything to do with it? Levar is his position coach and would be the person to work with returners on when they fair catch. Determining how deep the kick is, the hang time, and if the gunners got free.

• Haha
Reactions: DewHawk
How do you know Kirk had anything to do with it? Levar is his position coach and would be the person to work with returners on when they fair catch. Determining how deep the kick is, the hang time, and if the gunners got free.
In game decisions, Levar isn't making them. This is classic Kirk.

In game decisions, Levar isn't making them. This is classic Kirk.
And you know this how? These decisions are game time and Levar has not reviewed the kicking teams kick return defense from tape and informed Kirk how he wants to handle returns? You must have a very low opinion of Levar's coaching ability.

Was it classic Kirk in 2021 when Charlie Jones had 25 kick returns for 635 yards and 1 TD and Kelly-Martin had 2 returns for 81 yards? How about 2019 when Smith-Marsette had 17 returns for 503 yards and 2 TDs.

Last edited:
BF obviously thought he had no potential either. Makes you think.

Where do you get that BF obviously thought he had no potential? Jones say that or BF? Or did you just make it up?

The story during the Iowa Purdue game was that Charlie wanted to play with his best friend who he had been playing sports since he was a child. I believe they were room mates while at Purdue.
Bradaf I understand what your are saying, but:

He was a third string WR for Iowa? How is that possible? How does a guy who obviously had a ton of talent, not just by Purdue standards, but NFL standards, get buried at Iowa, and when we were in desperate need of skill at the WR position, like we are now. Fans, like me, are going to start to second guess the coaches and now you have this display of a passing offense.

It is frustrating to fans because we expect our coaches to be able to recruit and then develop talent, that is what they get paid A LOT of money to do. I also realize that sometimes guys just don't pan out, but here was Jones on our own team and we didn't get him on the field enough his junior year. Then he came back for spring ball to see if things had changed and they obviously didn't.

Maybe we couldn't have prevented him for leaving for Purdue but that doesn't excuse his lack of use in 2021. He went from 21 catches and 321 yards to 110 catches and 1361 yards! WOW, nearly 6 times the amount of catches and 12 times the amount of yards.

We can't afford to lose or not use, in this case, NFL wide receivers that are on our roster.

If Iowa was turning out average or above average WR's this conversation doesn't happen, but the coaches lack of production has allowed these conversations to arise and believe it or not they should be questioned and answered.

If I had an employee that rarely got used but showed glimpses of talent or even NFL potential and everyone around could see it and I let him/her go to a competitor to work and they excelled, not survived, but went to the top of the profession, increased their sales by 12 times, you don't think people would be doubting my ability at evaluating talent?

It is all water under the bridge now and you are right it is just my opinion, but to me this was such a colossal fail by our coaching staff. And I bet a few others on this board have that opinion. I have been on this board a long time and I don't post much, I know there is a lot more to life than winning, but Iowa football, for the most part, has always had tough defenses and special teams, but to not have some sort of offense, especially in the passing game is inexcusable, in my opinion.

Reactions: Fan In Black
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT