ADVERTISEMENT

Where do you draw the line with neighbor's throwing parties?

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
My neighbors along the back fence, but three doors down (not the band) put in a pool last summer. From time to time, they love to throw parties with LOUD music--typically on Friday or Saturday nights. It's annoying, but at least on the weekend. Last night; however, they had a live band on their back porch, of which I could hear over my TV show (Jack Ryan isn't the same with an overlay of Mariachi music). Fortunately, they knocked it off just after 11pm, but at 9:30PM you have no idea how much longer you'll have to feel the bass through your floor.

My next door neighbor posted this on our neighborhood FB page. "What time do quiet hours start. Asking for a friend". I hit it with an LOL, but otherwise did nothing. I just sucked it up trying to be a good sport. But seriously, what do you do with seemingly nice, but clueless neighbors, who are being inconsiderate?

Between finding unimpressive savings bonds and dealing with loud music, my MLK Day isn't shaping up to be as epic as I once hoped. :cool:

Reactions: EasyHawk
Sure. If you think it's unreasonable, just talk to them.
Had it gone on much longer I would have, but it seems to be a lose/lose type situation these days. People aren't as welcoming to that as they once were. You read these types of stories on the socials:

- Neighbor posts passive aggressive rant about neighbor. Other neighbors suggest they just go talk to them instead of being passive. Neighbor goes over to talk only to be told to Eff off. Obviously, not always the case, but long gone are the days where an unexpected knock at the door was a welcomed interruption:

Does your city have a noise ordinance? If so, just follow that if you don't agree on a particular time.
We're not in the city--county residents, so no noise ordinance. The neighbor mentioned above screen shot me the HOA 10pm noise "policy" in our DCCRs.

She's one house closer, so I guess it bugged her 1 degree more than me.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
Had it gone on much longer I would have, but it seems to be a lose/lose type situation these days. People aren't as welcoming to that as they once were. You read these types of stories on the socials:

- Neighbor posts passive aggressive rant about neighbor. Other neighbors suggest they just go talk to them instead of being passive. Neighbor goes over to talk only to be told to Eff off. Obviously, not always the case, but long gone are the days where an unexpected knock at the door was a welcomed interruption:

Perhaps thats just a bias of your own fear? What would be your other option? Retaliation through police or other means? I'd rather have someone come talk to me first before calling the police.

If they tell you to eff off, then call the cops next time.

I get up at 5:30am every day, so to me 10pm is plenty late. I remember it was bad when the kids were young too and would wake up due to the noise.

Perhaps thats just a biay of your own fear? What would be your other option? Retaliation through police or other mans? I'd rather have someone come talk to me first before calling the police.

If they tell you to eff off, then call the cops next time.
No way I'd bother cops for a party...that's pretty lame, IMO. I guess for me, you'd just want someone to be naturally considerate. For example, the neighbors on my street have done the following:

- Posted on FB they are having a party and what hours to expect noise. If anyone has an issue to please come knock on their door.
- Come to my door to tell me about a party and appologize in advance for the extra cars clogging up the street.
- Come to my door to ask if it's okay to park in front of my house.

Of course all of the above isn't necessary, just sharing some overly courteous gestures by several of our immediate neighbors.

Again, just curious what other would do. I was annoyed, but not enough to do anything, but possibly would have gone over and asked them to turn it down a bit had it gone on after midnight. However, my neighbor was very triggered and ready to either call the cops or the HOA. (I just checked the FB page and it's WW3 between both sides of the opinion scale--didn't see the home in question respond, though)

We're not in the city--county residents, so no noise ordinance. The neighbor mentioned above screen shot me the HOA 10pm noise "policy" in our DCCRs.

She's one house closer, so I guess it bugged her 1 degree more than me.
You live in an HOA? Then it should be up to the HOA to determine what is reasonable.

If you live 3 houses away and the music disturbs your TV viewing and your windows are closed - that's too loud.

Reactions: Tenacious E
You live in an HOA? Then it should be up to the HOA to determine what is reasonable.
Apparently it's 10PM

If you live 3 houses away and the music disturbs your TV viewing and your windows are closed - that's too loud.
Yup. Standing on my back porch it's three house down to the right from the house I share a back fence with. My wife initially texted me from her bathtub (NO PICS) asking me to turn down the bass on my show. I told her it wasn't me, it was the neighbors.

No way I'd bother cops for a party...that's pretty lame, IMO. I guess for me, you'd just want someone to be naturally considerate. For example, the neighbors on my street have done the following:

- Posted on FB they are having a party and what hours to expect noise. If anyone has an issue to please come knock on their door.
- Come to my door to tell me about a party and appologize in advance for the extra cars clogging up the street.
- Come to my door to ask if it's okay to park in front of my house.

Of course all of the above isn't necessary, just sharing some overly courteous gestures by several of our immediate neighbors.

Again, just curious what other would do. I was annoyed, but not enough to do anything, but possibly would have gone over and asked them to turn it down a bit had it gone on after midnight. However, my neighbor was very triggered and ready to either call the cops or the HOA. (I just checked the FB page and it's WW3 between both sides of the opinion scale--didn't see the home in question respond, though)
Sure. I prob would have done nothing either, bc I don't really care. Because of my lifestyle, 11pm isn't on a sunday isn't that late to me. If I was bothered by it I would have brought it up the next time i saw them.

Apparently it's 10PM

Yup. Standing on my back porch it's three house down to the right from the house I share a back fence with. My wife initially texted me from her bathtub (NO PICS) asking me to turn down the bass on my show. I told her it wasn't me, it was the neighbors.
Well, then 10 pm should be enforced by the HOA Board.

These folks must now they are disturbing some in the neighborhood. They shouldn't have to be told.

I remember as a kid our Cuban neighbors having late parties and cranking the tunes. Sometimes it was live. I actually never minded it - honestly would rather hear that for a change than someone blasting classic rock all night long. If it was every night I suppose that would get old, but every so often I don’t see the problem.

Reactions: millah_22
Apparently it's 10PM

I think the bigger issue here is why weren’t you in the bath with your wife?

Neighbor's in our back-corner have been big party throwers. Any day of the week and often until 1-2 in the morning. They were so bad our friends who lived next door to them actually moved.
Same guy that got a rooster during covid so all morning working in my office it sounded like a baby was crying.
Sometimes my dogs bark right in that corner because they hear him over there. I let them bark for a good couple minutes before I get them....

• Haha
Reactions: alaskanseminole
My neighbors along the back fence, but three doors down (not the band) put in a pool last summer. From time to time, they love to throw parties with LOUD music--typically on Friday or Saturday nights. It's annoying, but at least on the weekend. Last night; however, they had a live band on their back porch, of which I could hear over my TV show (Jack Ryan isn't the same with an overlay of Mariachi music). Fortunately, they knocked it off just after 11pm, but at 9:30PM you have no idea how much longer you'll have to feel the bass through your floor.

My next door neighbor posted this on our neighborhood FB page. "What time do quiet hours start. Asking for a friend". I hit it with an LOL, but otherwise did nothing. I just sucked it up trying to be a good sport. But seriously, what do you do with seemingly nice, but clueless neighbors, who are being inconsiderate?

Between finding unimpressive savings bonds and dealing with loud music, my MLK Day isn't shaping up to be as epic as I once hoped. :cool:
I would say 9 pm is the limit on a weeknight for loud outdoor music. It's not like they can't party indoors after that.

Reactions: EasyHawk

Sneak over and dump a bunch of piranha in their pool.

A friend's friend's fiance did that when neighbors were setting off fireworks around 2am and ended up in the ICU in Rochester.
Maybe use discretion and not approach people blowing off fireworks at 2am? I donno. Obviously not every situation is going to be the same.

I'm not telling OP to crash the party and tell them to go home. I'm saying in passing or maybe knock on their door and talk to them the next day or a couple days later.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Oh and FFS, it was a pool party. Post pics of the guests at the party.! And maybe set up a surveillance camera to get video of neighbor's future pool party guests.
Actually, it wasn't a pool party per se...it was a party at the neighbor's who put in a pool. It's winter here in South Texas, so this was a party near a pool. :cool:

I'll see if I can get you some pics during the summer parties, though.

• Love
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT