ADVERTISEMENT

Where do you project AJE and Wirfs to land?

Probably #1 and #2. However, I could see the Redskins pulling the plug on the Haskins experiment and going with Burrow at #2. Wirfs to the Bengals and Epenesa to the Lions is a safe bet I would say. If the Dolphins get nervous they could potentially trade to #3 to snag Tua dropping Epenesa to the Giants which would be a perfect fit in my opinion.

I'll say someone jumps ahead of Miami for Tua, and then they take Wirfs at #5. AJ to the Falcons at #16

Probably #1 and #2. However, I could see the Redskins pulling the plug on the Haskins experiment and going with Burrow at #2. Wirfs to the Bengals and Epenesa to the Lions is a safe bet I would say. If the Dolphins get nervous they could potentially trade to #3 to snag Tua dropping Epenesa to the Giants which would be a perfect fit in my opinion.

giphy.gif

If the colts don't/can't get Love, Brown, or Kinlaw, I hope they get wirfs. Especially if he can play LT after a couple years.

Wirfs 4-10. If Atlanta doesn't take AJ, hopefully Buffalo at 23 otherwise he is a 2nd rounder.

If AJ goes second round, he definitely should have returned

why? Its not like he is all of a sudden going to run a 4.7 next year...similar to King, AJ is what he is whether he came out this year or next. I can't help but think he will still be appealing to teams drafting in the mid to late first round. Even if he were to fall to the 2nd round, that is still a LOT of money.

why? Its not like he is all of a sudden going to run a 4.7 next year...similar to King, AJ is what he is whether he came out this year or next. I can't help but think he will still be appealing to teams drafting in the mid to late first round. Even if he were to fall to the 2nd round, that is still a LOT of money.
You don’t think he could have elevted his status with a productive senior season? Maybe being the 2nd best DE to come out next year?

Could he be a 3 tech at Indy on pass downs and then bump out to DE on rush downs? Or is he to small?

Still hard to believe Stanley ran 4.79 and AJ ran 5.05. I am guessing one of them was busting his ass the last 2 months.
There are certainly some folks here who will be shocked if Stanley makes a team and then actually ends up starting for someone. I wouldn't put anything past him, you just don't know. He certainly has the base physical talent and three years running a pro style offense. He's a hard worker, and improved each year at Iowa.

Wirfs solidified a top 10 draft spot. I think Eppy falls to later part of 1st round. Unfortunately teams will focus too much on his 40, which is slow, but isn’t indicative of his ability on the field. I’m wondering if he’ll need to bulk up and play 3-4 DE because he may struggle getting to the edge like Roth did while playing agaisnt NFL talent. Maybe his pro day we see a major improvement.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
I doubt anyone thought AJ was a speed rusher off the edge, but 5.1 almost certainly knocked him down most draft boards.
Whether or not he would have gone higher with another year is questionable.

There are certainly some folks here who will be shocked if Stanley makes a team and then actually ends up starting for someone. I wouldn't put anything past him, you just don't know. He certainly has the base physical talent and three years running a pro style offense. He's a hard worker, and improved each year at Iowa.

I think Stanley could have a career similar to Beathard but don’t think he will ever be a regular starter. He’s a great teammate and Hawkeye and he busted his ass and never complained or blamed anyone. He had a very good college career. But I don’t think he has that it factor - or the consistent accuracy - to be a regular starter in the NFL. However, I could see him being the type of QB teams love to have as a back-up and as someone who will show up and work hard every day and be a reliable teammate.

AJ did add some extra weight before last season so that might be slowing him down some. 280 isn't big enough to be an effective NFL defensive tackle, but might be too big to be an effective end. I think his optimal weight should be 265ish, and that should probably get him back in the 4s.

And if he falls into the 2nd round, then so be it. My guess is that there's only about a 20% chance he falls that low, but keep in mind that there's a *lot* of first-round talents that fall into the second and even third rounds for a variety of reasons (i.e. team needs, character issues, idiotic GMs making terrible choices).

The NFL draft isn't the crapshoot it was in the 90s and earlier, but it's still an inexact science and a lot of teams still get it wrong, even though it's certainly better than it was back in the day.

I never thought AJ lacked a burst or quickness on the field. The 40 doesn’t translate for some guys. I saw him singlehandedly dismantle almost every guy he played as a true Sophomore and Junior. It’s not his speed that separates him, it’s his technique and strength. Yes he didn’t bench a lot of reps but I also saw him move 325 lb tackles consistently. Functional strength demonstrated on the field is far more important than a rigid bench press.

Reactions: Simbahawk4
Before the combine I thought he was coming to Atlanta at 16 (Falcons fan here), but now I think he falls further. I think the Atlanta GM probably still wants him, but with less than stellar combine numbers I'm not sure he'll take that chance now... and I hate it!

Look at the game footage.

How many game balls does the head coach award to a player on the other team (Neb vs Iowa).

There is no mistake in taking AJ as your first pick of the draft.

It’s one thing going against Big 10 OT’s who won’t play in the pros vs going against NFL OT’s. His power will be mitigated and while a 40 yard time doesn’t matter as much, explosiveness, quickness and acceleration all favorite into a 40. Those things are needed to be successful in the NFL as a 4-3 DE.

I still think AJE warrants a 1st round draft pick and who knows, maybe he had a bad day, small injury or some other issue impacting his speed. I think anyone drafting in the last third of the draft will see a football player too good to pass up.

Wirfs could go in the top 5, top 10 for sure. He’s got rare size, power and athleticism coupled with great film.

I think Wirfs goes Top 5. Such a huge premium for quality OL prospects as athletic as he is. AJE is a 1st rounder for sure, but there are more DL prospects and he isn't a freak athlete like a Chase Young. 1st rounder is still no slouch and he should have a very good pro career.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT