ADVERTISEMENT

Where does ISU go when the Big 12 implodes?

From most likely to least likely:

American
Mountain West
Some new hodgepodge conference of B12 leftovers, BYU, and perhaps some MWC and AAC schools
Independent
B1G

Don't feed him, check his history.

I'm not being a dick. Honest question. I think we can all agree that this is the weakest P5 conference (in terms of sustainability). I've heard pundits say that the BiG should go after Oklahoma and Texas. Our former AD has done an admirable job holding that conference together. I'm not actually excited about Rutgers and Maryland. I do get Nebraska. Good fit. From what I understand, Delaney picked up Rutgers and Maryland to prevent Penn St. going to the ACC. I'm certainly not a troll on this. 5 years from now, I don't see a Big 12. Where do these teams go?

I'm not being a dick. Honest question. I think we can all agree that this is the weakest P5 conference (in terms of sustainability). I've heard pundits say that the BiG should go after Oklahoma and Texas. Our former AD has done an admirable job holding that conference together. I'm not actually excited about Rutgers and Maryland. I do get Nebraska. Good fit. From what I understand, Delaney picked up Rutgers and Maryland to prevent Penn St. going to the ACC. I'm certainly not a troll on this. 5 years from now, I don't see a Big 12. Where do these teams go?
I just always assumed Maryland & Rutgers were added for TV sets(Population/market) But what do I know???

I just always assumed Maryland & Rutgers were added for TV sets(Population/market) But what do I know???

You’re right and DEREK is wrong.Penn St never had any intentions of leaving the B1G for the ACC...

They may have wanted another school closer for them to join them like Maryland who had some history with them when they were a Independent.

The OP joined recently, and may legitimately be ignorant of the history on this thread topic. It has been discussed (threads created) probably a minimum of three dozen times since the last round of re-alignment.

Bottom line, the consensus opinion is that the Big12 only has two schools any of the other P5s would want: Texas & Oklahoma.

None of the remaining teams make much sense to add to a P5 conference, since they bring very little in revenue and only serve to make each $lice of pie that much smaller for everyone else.

If the conference were to "implode" after those two exited, then the other schools would have little choice than to circle the wagons and recruit two schools to replace them. Probable candidates coming from the MWC or AAC most likely. Obviously, at that time the conference itself would be downgraded from P5 status.

Reactions: rchawk and Clouserp
Pollard has been trying very hard to make ISU a valid candidate for conference realignment. ISU brings zero eyeballs to the table. But they are trying to flaunt their stadium as the third largest in the XII

Last edited:
The Big 12 is alive and well. Only 10 teams to divide the wealth.
For now.

The discussion was instigated based upon rumblings that Oklahoma could decide to skip out once the GoR expires 7-8 years from now.

Probably won’t happen, but message boards need something to discuss in the off-season.

Reactions: naturalmwa
I’m amazed by the arrogance of my fellow iowa fans that are hoping Oklahoma, texas, notre dame and others to join. You do realize, we don’t do anything in this conference as it stands. Hiw do you think it’s going to go then? Also, i get the clown bashing, but if the b10 started iver, we’d likely be in the outside looking in for the same reasons

Only because you don`t have a clue. Check the revenue numbers and check which conference had a team in the playoffs in football, the final 4 in basketball, and college world series participants. There is only one conf that accomplished that this year, so do your research.

Pollard has been trying very hard to make ISU a valid candidate for conference realignment. ISU brings zero eyeballs to the table. But they are trying to flaunt their stadium as the third largest in the XII
And neither does Iowa

I’m amazed by the arrogance of my fellow iowa fans that are hoping Oklahoma, texas, notre dame and others to join. You do realize, we don’t do anything in this conference as it stands. Hiw do you think it’s going to go then? Also, i get the clown bashing, but if the b10 started iver, we’d likely be in the outside looking in for the same reasons

Nice try Cyclone fan.

absolutely correct

CyTwins/Eyewejun pulling one from Trump(‘s aide’s) playbook.
I’m pretty sure this dipshit is Randy Peterson, Pollard or one of their wives/kids. I’m not joking.

The OP joined recently, and may legitimately be ignorant of the history on this thread topic. It has been discussed (threads created) probably a minimum of three dozen times since the last round of re-alignment.

Bottom line, the consensus opinion is that the Big12 only has two schools any of the other P5s would want: Texas & Oklahoma.

None of the remaining teams make much sense to add to a P5 conference, since they bring very little in revenue and only serve to make each $lice of pie that much smaller for everyone else.

If the conference were to "implode" after those two exited, then the other schools would have little choice than to circle the wagons and recruit two schools to replace them. Probable candidates coming from the MWC or AAC most likely. Obviously, at that time the conference itself would be downgraded from P5 status.

Yep when the Texas Ten loses OU and Texas they will stay the Big 12 and just add teams to replace them. Of course they will go from power 5 to group of 6 but oh well clown fans will tell us how much better that is.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Yep when the Texas Ten loses OU and Texas they will stay the Big 12 and just add teams to replace them. Of course they will go from power 5 to group of 6 but oh well clown fans will tell us how much better that is.
Or the B12 adds Mich & Ohio St and they monitize their tier 3 inventory and quit carrying the have nots in the B10.

Or the B12 adds Mich & Ohio St and they monitize their tier 3 inventory and quit carrying the have nots in the B10.

Is someone going to give Michigan and OSU their own networks like what Texas has?

If not then tier 3 rights are kind of meaningless.

Reactions: And1Hawk
Yes, they would make more $$$ than they do now....much more.

But the longhorn network hasn’t exactly been a big money maker for ESPN so who is going to want to go down that same path with Michigan or OSU?

I just don’t see anyone wanting to repeat the Longhorn network so 3rd tier is rendered meaningless.

Last edited:
Reactions: And1Hawk
The Big 12 is a solid 3rd in revenues and Texas & OU are competitive with anyone when their 3rd tier is added in.

OU may consider a B1G invite with Kansas for academics but I think they would be foolish to separate themselves from Texas in any new conference. Texas is not coming to the B1G with only OU. I would be shocked if they would come with any less than another 2 Texas teams and No Rice doesn't meet their requirements. So unless the B1G would offer Texas, OU, TT and either TCU or Houston I don't think it ever happens and the B1G doesn't want the other Texas teams. I think the B1G should make that offer in a heartbeat but I don't expect it to happen. Now if the B1G could entice A&M to leave the SEC and come they might not need another Texas team, but even then I don't know why Texas would want to only bring 2 teams from their region.

The fantasy of the PAC taking 4 Big 12 teams with their problems is over. There is no way Texas & OU are giving up their political power to all the PAC schools, they need equal representation. Its more likely the B12 could absorb some PAC teams or a conference began out of scratch between the two leagues. ISU would have a chance to make that league also due to being AAU and a new state to any league.

If we are going to drop to 4 power leagues the PAC looks the weakest to me. If ESPN has truly decided to throw their weight behind the ACC and pay them as a true power conference via the ACC Network, it seems the best way to get to 4 is to split the PAC among the B1G and B12. PAC fans complain about exposure and that's not going to change by playing all their games by 7 or 7:30 CST starts. They need fans from other parts of the country to share their conference so their games are relevant. If they were drawing fans from the CST and some EST zones from conferences with a higher viewership they have a much better chance at that exposure. Fans tend to watch the other teams in their conference play when their team isn't playing. Otherwise the PAC will continue in obscurity.

Reactions: rchawk
Your trolling is almost as poor as it is sad. Go back to Cyclone Fanatic.

Only because you don`t have a clue. Check the revenue numbers and check which conference had a team in the playoffs in football, the final 4 in basketball, and college world series participants. There is only one conf that accomplished that this year, so do your research.
I almost forgot that your conference got eliminated as early as they did yet again this March Madness. I’m glad the B1G doesn’t go down that easy in the tourney.

Thanks for the reminder!

ADVERTISEMENT