ADVERTISEMENT

Where is the Wheat?

Mar 11, 2020
Was listening to a farming podcast, I enjoy trying to learn more about the markets, futures, and production. They were talking about something I hadn't considered. Most Iowa farmers produce corn or beans because it is a higher net income even though the cost is significantly more than grain production, which you see in areas with lesser soil and land cost. Some Iowa farmers had thought about switching to wheat with the expectation that Ukraine/Russia would experience a major dip due to the war. Yet, the dip has never happened. Anyone have a good idea or guess on how or why Ukraine/Russia have been able to be at war and yet still produce the wheat?

Top-10-Wheat-Producing-Countries-in-the-World.webp

Reactions: Moral
Does our government give more handouts to farmers for corn?
Ya know I don't know but I would think the growers of Kansas, nebraska, Minnesota and the Dakotas that don't have the corn production without major irrigation cost would have all switched to wheat. It's easy as shit to grow.

Ya know I don't know but I would think the growers of Kansas, nebraska, Minnesota and the Dakotas that don't have the corn production without major irrigation cost would have all switched to wheat. It's easy as shit to grow.
According to this chart, even though corn and soybeans cost more money to plant their net profits are much greater than wheat.

09082020_tab1.jpg

Was listening to a farming podcast, I enjoy trying to learn more about the markets, futures, and production. They were talking about something I hadn't considered. Most Iowa farmers produce corn or beans because it is a higher net income even though the cost is significantly more than grain production, which you see in areas with lesser soil and land cost. Some Iowa farmers had thought about switching to wheat with the expectation that Ukraine/Russia would experience a major dip due to the war. Yet, the dip has never happened. Anyone have a good idea or guess on how or why Ukraine/Russia have been able to be at war and yet still produce the wheat?
The war is not being fought on Russian land. They are anticipating a record crop with el Nino rains this year
As for Ukraine, the vast majority of good farmland is still in production with some now under Russian control.

Shipping it out has been a big problem which caused supply disruptions initially that spiked prices but that has been figured out to some extent.
Like with the USA s supply chain disruptions following the pandemic, prices spiked for awhile, but are settling down as those supply issues get ironed out.

According to this chart, even though corn and soybeans cost more money to plant their net profits are much greater than wheat.

09082020_tab1.jpg
That was my understanding. If you have the quality of soil, and rain, beans and Corn net much more profit, though they cost much more. If you don't have the soil, or water, wheat is better. Which is why you see it in nebraksa, Kansas, the dakotas, when they don't want to irrigate for corn, which kills net profits.

Just kinda crazy the number 3 and number 7 producers being at war and we haven't seen a shortage that would push more good land farmers into production.

Fwiw I plant wheat in one of my food plots for spring turkey and you can literally just throw the shit on the ground.

I believe Canada grows a ton of wheat; perhaps the US is simply buying theirs instead?

Last edited:
Pigs eat ground corn mixed with bean meal. Iowa has a lot of pigs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT