ADVERTISEMENT

Where should Iowa build it's new Basketball arena?

They aren't going to build a new basketball arena but I will play. By the Hall of Fame would make a lot of sense. Easy access from the interstate would help and lots of parking available.
My preference would be where the Old Capitol Mall is. It would energize downtown and the arena would be alive for the games.

But it ain't gonna happen.

They aren't going to build a new basketball arena but I will play. By the Hall of Fame would make a lot of sense. Easy access from the interstate would help and lots of parking available.
My preference would be where the Old Capitol Mall is. It would energize downtown and the arena would be alive for the games.

But it ain't gonna happen.

Downtown would be sweet. But they aren't going to build a new arena anytime soon...

No parking downtown Suterman.

giphy.gif

Agree a downtown arena would be the best. South of Burlington between Clinton and Madison or along the hill on Riverside Dr.

Reactions: hawkhorn
This spot makes the most sense...

p9kTn63.jpg

Tear down the English-Philosophy Building (relocate) and use a 1/4 of the south parking lot for the new arena, turn the remaining parking lot into a multi-level parking garage.

G1izZdx.jpg

Last edited:
This spot makes the most sense...

p9kTn63.jpg

Tear down the English-Philosophy Building (relocate) and use a 1/4 of the south parking lot for the new arena, turn the remaining parking lot into a multi-level parking garage.

G1izZdx.jpg

#TEARDOWNANGLOPHILE This is the best idea yet!

They’d never do this but that’s also the major issue with Iowa Athletics -> lack of vision and guts.

A new arena that is geared to basketball, with tight sight lines and possibly smaller in size (the 10K range) in a good location would do wonders to energize the program. Barta and crew can only plug in a total cost in an excel document to say why? They have no concept of future value (how to spend money the right way to make money) and impact. Instead they let one of the two marquee programs just rot away.

The five buildings on the Pentacrest are aging. Get Max Yocum revived, and he can move them to where Hancher, Art and Music used to be. Build the new arena and parking on the renamed Unacrest where all those ugly trees just get in the way.

Building a new basketball area for the Hawks would be fiscally irresponsible IMO. I saw a stat that suggested a 10,000 seat arena would be $100M.

Now, if Iowa City and Coralville decided to build a civic center with 6-7,000 seats, and the Hawks agreed to play some of their games there, it might make sense.

I'm not happy with Carver either, but I would be opposed to replacing it just because of the enormous cost.

Reactions: DEREKoh2
Max Yocum, wow that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Back in the 60's my brother Dan attended the U of I and lived in one of Max's many hovels. His was a room in a large old house that Max had nailed up plywood to block room to room movement and Dan shared a toilet and kitchen with other tenants. Great set up. I help Dan move in there when he got out of the Air Force and it was right before I went into the Navy (about 1967 or 68).

Reactions: DEREKoh2
Building a new basketball area for the Hawks would be fiscally irresponsible IMO. I saw a stat that suggested a 10,000 seat arena would be $100M.

$100 million with revenues around 135 million a year and a 51 million dollar check from the BTN that’s only guaranteed through 2023/2024. When could there not be a better time to make a major investment for our next 40-50 years in 1 of 2 marquee sports at Iowa? 100 million is only 10-15% more than the north end zone! The cost of one freaking end zone to revamp and reenergize our men’s and women’s b-ball program.

Your response exactly sums up the status of our athletics woes.

$100 million with revenues around 135 million a year and a 51 million dollar check from the BTN that’s only guaranteed through 2023/2024. When could there not be a better time to make a major investment for our next 40-50 years in 1 of 2 marquee sports at Iowa? 100 million is only 10-15% more than the north end zone! The cost of one freaking end zone to revamp and reenergize our men’s and women’s b-ball program.

Exactly! This.

Now, if Iowa City and Coralville decided to build a civic center with 6-7,000 seats, and the Hawks agreed to play some of their games there, it might make sense.

I'm not happy with Carver either, but I would be opposed to replacing it just because of the enormous cost.

Where did you see that stat? Because that is way lower than any number I have seen for such a project.

We all know that Barta listens! We were successful in getting the Water Tower done, we got new goal nets for Field Hockey, we got office space at Carver! We secured a new softball coach! Now we need a new arena! Unite! Divided we stand, united we fall! The English and Philosophy building has to go! Hey,hey, ho ho, this building has to go! This is a movement people. It will happen with posts.

Reactions: buudhawk
Man, I tried to prevent the goal posts from going out the revolving doors of the Metrodome, but a rodent can only do so much. Iowa fans are so disrespectful.
You did? Pretty weak effort on your part then. We’ll take Minn goalposts through any damn doors we want!

The goalposts through the revolving doors was the only challenge for the Iowa fans & the football team on that day!

You did? Pretty weak effort on your part then. We’ll take Minn goalposts through any damn doors we want!

The goalposts through the revolving doors was the only challenge for the Iowa fans & the football team on that day!

I'll give you the gift of rabies if you talk in such a manner and chlamydia.

The EPB site isn’t remotely big enough for a modern basketball arena. CHA, even without the practice facility and offices, is bigger than the Main Library.

There are only two options for on campus and east side of the river:
1 Tear down the Old Capitol Mall
2 Put it in Hubbard Park

The only other options that the university currently owns are:
1 Flood prone land where Hancher used to be
2 The wooded hill immediately west of CHA
3 Off of Mormon Trek Blvd.
4 In the parking lot immediately north of the Cambus station

The east side options have horrible parking issues for a 10-15k seat arena unless a huge ramp is built.

The west side options almost all have issues of their own. Building in the middle of the arts campus would be a major slap in the face to the academic community. Building next to CHA will have the same logistic issues as CHA. Building out at Mormon Trek is way off campus and students already don’t go to a stadium that is long walking distance.

The Cambus station option is probably the best. We just build a new arena in that parking lot and replace CHA with equivalent parking. They are close enough you could even keep the new practice facility where it is. This location could be even sweetened if the rec center, which just had a bunch of money dumped into it, was moved out to Mormon Trek with the non-revenue sports.

The hospital really screwed this over by absorbing all of the space around Kinnick and the Fieldhouse.

Where did you see that stat? Because that is way lower than any number I have seen for such a project.

Likely more than 100 but say you do 125-150 for 9-10k. I really like that size. If you are having a down year you can still generate a good atmosphere with 5-7k. When packed it’s loud and there’s no bad seats in the house - all close to the action. For women’s b-ball you do not have to try to fill 15k or ‘hang curtains’. It’s smarter in the long haul.

Houston did a 8.5k for 60 million

Mississippi did a 9.5k arena for 95 million in 2016.
http://www.architectmagazine.com/pr...illion-ole-miss-basketball-arena-opened-jan-7

DePaul did Wintrust 10k @ 173 million.

It comes down to how many frills you put in. To me good sight lines, compact stands close to the court and a second deck (lower and upper tier). Atmosphere and environment over frills and volume of seats.

http://www.arenafanatic.com/ncaa.html

I think Marquette is making a mistake doing a 524 million arena with 17,5 k.... when you are drawing 7-8k or less on a down year that’s going to feel empty / brutal.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I'd be ashamed of a 10K stadium. That is bush league. From 2012 to 2015 I think we averaged 13K. And those were just good teams - not great.

That’s often paid attendance. Not saying there were not large crowds as I was there for a number but there were still empties and nights with a lot of empties in those seasons. Fans are speaking about attending vs watching at home so build something that fills the median not the extremes (good to great seasons).

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Hell, the U of I hospital would probably pay $100M to knock down Carver and build a new wing.

Seriously, I think some day before I die it will happen. An arena downtown next to the bars is what people want, if Nebraska could do it, we can. BTN money is insane.

The new luxury boxes and premium seats will go a long way toward paying for the north EZ project. I seriously doubt you go do that for basketball, but maybe you could.

You make it sound like a new arena is all that is need to put Iowa over the top in Men's and Women's BB. I don't think so. Plus, Iowa averaged 12,324 fans in 16-17 (many disguised as empty seats), so unless you want to increase ticket prices 20%, revenue from basketball will drop.

Hell, the U of I hospital would probably pay $100M to knock down Carver and build a new wing.

Seriously, I think some day before I die it will happen. An arena downtown next to the bars is what people want, if Nebraska could do it, we can. BTN money is insane.
No they can't. Well they'd say the would and then sue anybody that tried to make them pay.

The new luxury boxes and premium seats will go a long way toward paying for the north EZ project. I seriously doubt you go do that for basketball, but maybe you could.

You make it sound like a new arena is all that is need to put Iowa over the top in Men's and Women's BB. I don't think so. Plus, Iowa averaged 12,324 fans in 16-17 (many disguised as empty seats), so unless you want to increase ticket prices 20%, revenue from basketball will drop.

Another comment that underscores our issue with athletic vision. We use cost & revenue as our only decision making criteria which is short-sided. Good athletic programs go by it the other way. They create the product first then the revenue comes and often more than what was expected initially.

We need to generate energy, enthusiasm and interest in basketball and turnaround the narrative. Carver is a nice play to see a game but it has tremendous issues severly limiting it from being a key tool for basketball. The design is faulty. Building a smaller arena for basketball first (two decks, good sight lines, stands close to the court on all sides, etc.) can provide what’s missing and shows a level of commitment.

We have as much of an image problem as anything. Putting money into our top 2 athletic programs for wise projects is a must.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Likely more than 100 but say you do 125-150 for 9-10k. I really like that size. If you are having a down year you can still generate a good atmosphere with 5-7k. When packed it’s loud and there’s no bad seats in the house - all close to the action. For women’s b-ball you do not have to try to fill 15k or ‘hang curtains’. It’s smarter in the long haul.

Houston did a 8.5k for 60 million

Mississippi did a 9.5k arena for 95 million in 2016.
http://www.architectmagazine.com/pr...illion-ole-miss-basketball-arena-opened-jan-7

DePaul did Wintrust 10k @ 173 million.

It comes down to how many frills you put in. To me good sight lines, compact stands close to the court and a second deck (lower and upper tier). Atmosphere and environment over frills and volume of seats.

http://www.arenafanatic.com/ncaa.html

I think Marquette is making a mistake doing a 524 million arena with 17,5 k.... when you are drawing 7-8k or less on a down year that’s going to feel empty / brutal.
That arena is being built for the Bucks. Marquette is a secondary Tennant.

The EPB site isn’t remotely big enough for a modern basketball arena. CHA, even without the practice facility and offices, is bigger than the Main Library.

There are only two options for on campus and east side of the river:
1 Tear down the Old Capitol Mall
2 Put it in Hubbard Park
I think it is, again, we downsize the seating to ~10k, maybe a little more. CHA was designed for seating expanding outward, the new area a would be much more vertical and LOUDER.

What you can do, and I like your idea about using Hubbard Park, is put a new building for all the offices, practice facility, weight room, etc. attached via sky bridge or underground tunnel to the arena.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkhorn
Relocate softball & the outdoor track to the area near the hall of fame, & you have acres to do with as you please.

Reactions: T. Kimball
I know I’m beating a broken drum with plastic straws about building a new arena but recall last year’s game vs Colorado at the Sanford Pentagon. A 3500 seat tight, compact, old-school gym that was electric and off the charts. No coincidence that this was our only notable power 5 non-con win. Don’t tell me the environment and feel can’t win us some games. The players pick up on it.

Get some guts Barta and our fan base and build a 10 K gym that rocks to totally change the trajectory of this program!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT