ADVERTISEMENT

Where should Iowa build it's new Basketball arena?

Take a look at what NW is doing with their new facility. But, 40 years ago Iowa went from a 10k facility to a “state of the art” facility...that is no longer “state of the art.”

Sorry, but CHA was never "state of the art". It's the college basketball equivalent of the Metrodome... outdated the day it opened.

You can talk about the awards it got for it's unique design all you want. None of those had anything to do with it being a great basketball arena..they were about how it was integrated into the existing landscape (ravine).

Best description I saw "Carver Hawk-aisle" arena.

Last edited:
They’d never do this but that’s also the major issue with Iowa Athletics -> lack of vision and guts.

A new arena that is geared to basketball, with tight sight lines and possibly smaller in size (the 10K range) in a good location would do wonders to energize the program. Barta and crew can only plug in a total cost in an excel document to say why? They have no concept of future value (how to spend money the right way to make money) and impact. Instead they let one of the two marquee programs just rot away.

Yes, the north end zone project, just like the club suites 12 years ago, clearly show a lack of vision by the athletic department.

Sorry, but CHA was never "state of the art". It's the college basketball equivalent of the Metrodome... outdated the day it opened.

You can talk about the awards it got for it's unique design all you want. None of those had anything to do with it being a great basketball arena..they were about how it was integrated into the existing landscape (ravine).

Best description I saw "Carver Hawk-aisle" arena.

Maybe "cutting edge design" would be a better phrase than "state of the art". It was a big improvement over the Fieldhouse, but it was from the beginning intended to be multi-purpose, rather than the ultimate basketball arena so that guaranteed design compromises. They knew a large chunk of the donor base was older, and yet selected a design with 10,000 steps from floor to concourse, so yeah that flaw was baked in. Practice space for the various sports was still inadequate on the day it opened, though in theory something like the current practice facility could have been added shortly after instead of waiting 25 years.

Some of you either don't remember or else weren't around in the early 80's, but energy costs were a issue then, and that's where the awards came in. By building in a ravine and flipping the roof upside down so that the support girders were on the outside and therefore not requiring heated space, the energy usage was only a fraction of a more conventional design.

You can go ahead and argue that the CHA design should have been optimized for its primary tenant, MBB, but that would have been a non-starter at that time. Other departments in the university community were already jealous of the attention and resources given to Athletics, and a Taj Mahal for MBB just wasn't going to fly. Sorry.

Wow...Lute totally screwed the Iowa MBB program. First he gets the University and boosters to build a crappy arena....then he leaves for Arizona after he realized how crappy CHA was.

Definitely rebuild as fast as possible.

A new arena is key. Look at Nebraska. They have zero MBB history and 5 years ago fans could have cared less about the program, yet once they built the arena it has been sold out from nearly day 1.

While I know CHA won't be replaced anytime soon, I have to admit I would gladly welcome a new arena. One that's more compact ... where the fans are right on top of you. CHA was "different" when it opened in 1993 ... Build a 12,000 seat arena and call it a day ...
Maybe even smaller than that. Need some suites/skyboxes. And I know this is trivial, but I think ribbon boards are cool and that's another thing that CHA's design doesn't lend itself to.

Building a new basketball area for the Hawks would be fiscally irresponsible IMO. I saw a stat that suggested a 10,000 seat arena would be $100M.

Now, if Iowa City and Coralville decided to build a civic center with 6-7,000 seats, and the Hawks agreed to play some of their games there, it might make sense.

I'm not happy with Carver either, but I would be opposed to replacing it just because of the enormous cost.
Not that it really matters for this discussion but Coralville is building a small arena in the Iowa River Landing that will seat 5-7000 depending on the event type.

While I know CHA won't be replaced anytime soon, I have to admit I would gladly welcome a new arena. One that's more compact ... where the fans are right on top of you. CHA was "different" when it opened in 1993 ... Build a 12,000 seat arena and call it a day ...
It opened in 1983. I assume that was just a typo.

Since we are thinking outside the box here, as we know they won't move from CHA. It should be built north of Kinnick and east of the rec building. Put several layers of parking underneath so it is same level as the walkway that goes to the north end zone. That way you can tie into the new Pacha clubhouse in the north end zone bldg and use it for basketball games. We multi-task and make the facilities at Kinnick useful more than football and save money in the basketball bldg.

Since we are thinking outside the box here, as we know they won't move from CHA. It should be built north of Kinnick and east of the rec building. Put several layers of parking underneath so it is same level as the walkway that goes to the north end zone. That way you can tie into the new Pacha clubhouse in the north end zone bldg and use it for basketball games. We multi-task and make the facilities at Kinnick useful more than football and save money in the basketball bldg.

This is the best response in the entire thread! Why not leverage a great facility? Awesome, but I'm afraid we will never think "outside the box"

I have no issues with CHA as a place to watch ball. Better than several others I've been in as far as comfort and sight lines.

The poor attendance has more to do with changing tastes in entertainment and an inferior product than does the venue.

Would a downtown arena with 10,000 seats have been significantly more full during last year's awful showing than was CHA?

Would a downtown arena with 10,000 seats have been significantly more full during last year's awful showing than was CHA?
Most definitely...especially with students. They tend to be more raucous and energetic, so it would have been louder too.

Build a new arena...almost 40 years at CHA, they’ll have gotten their $$ worth.

Reactions: And1Hawk
Most definitely...especially with students. They tend to be more raucous and energetic, so it would have been louder too.

Build a new arena...almost 40 years at CHA, they’ll have gotten their $$ worth.
I disagree with that assumption. I very much doubt if we'll ever have an answer anyway as there is no indication that construction of a new arena in downtown IC is under any serious consideration

Library Lot or Downtown where the parking lot is on Clinton and Burlington. Would have a great pre game atmosphere there with all the restaurants and bars to pick from with in walking distance.

Reactions: And1Hawk
I think we as Hawk Fans underestimate CHA. Is it new and built for the Corporate Box Seats crowd? no. but it is a great basketball venue for a spectator, yes.

Best way to explain that was back about 10-15 years ago (whenever the Heartland Classic AAU event took place at CHA) I was there when the Tim Thomas Playaz team arrived to CHA for first time, walking in at street level and being at top of arena and seeing how open and how all seats have a great view, they were impressed that it was actually 15,500 seats. Said it had a feel of a smaller venue because the seats were so good. They've played in many larger venues across country and said they liked how open and how close all the seats feel to the floor.

I've been in the Kohl Center and sat in the Boxes and didn't even feel like I was at a game. To me what makes venues good are a strong rabid fan base. Hawk Fans need to be bitten again because I don't feel we are rabid

CHA's "issues" are nothing that better basketball programs cannot fix.

The issue is simple. A damn near 20 year complete and utter drought of consistently winning programs. What good is a near campus smaller arena if the programs still stink compared to when Carver was built?

This program has a basketball program problem, not an arena problem.

All I’m saying is forty years is long enough to suffer with a 15k+ arena that we cannot fill for 80% of our home games. Unless we become a perennial conference champion and sweet sixteen contender that isn’t going to change. Let’s right-size the arena and make it a fun and intimidating place to play.

All I’m saying is forty years is long enough to suffer with a 15k+ arena that we cannot fill for 80% of our home games. Unless we become a perennial conference champion and sweet sixteen contender that isn’t going to change. Let’s right-size the arena and make it a fun and intimidating place to play.

Lol, this is just ridiculous thinking

Can only fill CHA with apex seasons or apex moments. That’s going to happen less than 10-15% of the time. Wrestling can continue to use CHA since it’s a great wrestling venue and they fill it.

Build a 10k arena in a good location close for students but with the ability to surround with restaurants and bars. Some good suggestions already. Iowa athletics needs more progressive thinking in general. This would change the entire narrative for hoops. Good energy and fun times.

They aren't going to build a new basketball arena but I will play. By the Hall of Fame would make a lot of sense. Easy access from the interstate would help and lots of parking available.
My preference would be where the Old Capitol Mall is. It would energize downtown and the arena would be alive for the games.

But it ain't gonna happen.
That makes zero sense and would never happen on multiple levels

Reactions: D-Ram
Lol, this is just ridiculous thinking
dreams.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT