ADVERTISEMENT

Where will our 2026 game at Northwestern be played?

El Simbolo

HR Heisman
Mar 6, 2002
I believe they originally planned to have the new Ryan Field open for the 2026 season, but they still don't have all of the zoning/City Council approvals, etc. So I'm assuming it might not be done for our next scheduled game over there. Anyone heard where they plan to play during construction of the new stadium? I couldn't find an answer via googling, and their football board seems to be premium. Thanks!

A colleague of mine has a daughter that is in the NW athletic department. We were discussing it this week and he said they have no idea where they are going to play for the next 2 years. Soldier Field is out and there just isn't anywhere else in the area that would be a good fit. They are supposedly looking at Seat Geek Stadium (former Chicago Fire home) but that is a long trek from Evanston. It sounds like the other option is Wrigley but that would certainly not work for September and early October games so NW would probably have to play all their road games early in the year which would throw the B1G schedule into chaos.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Thanks. I had read an article that mentioned Seat Geek Stadium. Another one I thought of was NIU's stadium. Seat Geek is in Chicago, but I don't think it take much longer to drive to Dekalb from Evanston as it does to drive to the southwest side of Chicago. Huskie Stadium seats 24,000 and Seat Geek seats 20,000. I don't know about NU fans, but I'd think visiting fans would find Seat Geek a more unique experience. NIU has turf, so at least wearing out the grass wouldn't be an issue. Seat Geek would probably let them decorate it all up in NU logos.

Thinking of the students, Seat Geek is somewhat on a train line. They can take purple line from Evanston to the loop and then transfer to orange line to Midway and then they can set up busses from there. Not easy but a lot easier than the drive from Evanston to Dekalb, there is no easy way to go west from Evanston.

Reactions: El Simbolo
I have not followed the saga, will the Bears be out of Soldier Field by then, and if so what do they plan to do with Soldier Field when Bears are gone?

SeatGeek will get crowded since 2 soccer teams will be playing there at the same time. Hopefully the turf can hold up

I have not followed the saga, will the Bears be out of Soldier Field by then, and if so what do they plan to do with Soldier Field when Bears are gone?
I am sure there are groups angling to build high rise apartments vs the nice green space park.

playing a football game in a baseball stadium should be an arrestable offense
A few years ago the Wrigley field owners actually moved one dugout and wall farther into the stadium seating to give a little extra room for football.

The Bears played in Wrigley for many many years.

Think the plan is to decrease capacity to around 40k. Essentially raise the field to the 200 level from the renderings I saw. The Chicago MLS team will be playing there for the foreseeable future

They could try and work out something with Northern Illinois and play out in DeKalb. Even is both teams have home games they could stagger the start times. 11am and 7pm.

Playing at NIU would be a haul. It's 45 to 60 minutes from Naperville down I-88. Then you add on getting from Evanston outward. Seat Geak would be a lot closer even with transfers etc..

Reactions: Hawkdiver
I'll bet it will be Wrigley Field. These games they've had these past few years have been dry-runs. I doubt that Wrigley would have been renovated specifically to fit a football field better just for one game every few years. NFL and MLB teams shared stadiums for years and years, so the logistics aren't impossible. They probably would have Northwestern always playing their first B1G game on the road in order to minimize the changing back-and-forth between field formats. It would likely just have to be done twice for two September Saturdays, with the process extending into October only when the Cubs are in the postseason. I know that a few U of Minnesota games were moved to Thursday nights back in the day when they shared the Dome with the Twins and they had a conflict with the Twins' postseason; that's the worst I could imagine it would be.

Playing at NIU would be a haul. It's 45 to 60 minutes from Naperville down I-88. Then you add on getting from Evanston outward. Seat Geak would be a lot closer even with transfers etc..
Lol that any conversation about Chicago always gets to the word, “Naperville”.

Thinking of the students, Seat Geek is somewhat on a train line. They can take purple line from Evanston to the loop and then transfer to orange line to Midway and then they can set up busses from there. Not easy but a lot easier than the drive from Evanston to Dekalb, there is no easy way to go west from Evanston.
The orange line to Midway can get dicey at times. No thanks

I'll bet it will be Wrigley Field. These games they've had these past few years have been dry-runs. I doubt that Wrigley would have been renovated specifically to fit a football field better just for one game every few years. NFL and MLB teams shared stadiums for years and years, so the logistics aren't impossible. They probably would have Northwestern always playing their first B1G game on the road in order to minimize the changing back-and-forth between field formats. It would likely just have to be done twice for two September Saturdays, with the process extending into October only when the Cubs are in the postseason. I know that a few U of Minnesota games were moved to Thursday nights back in the day when they shared the Dome with the Twins and they had a conflict with the Twins' postseason; that's the worst I could imagine it would be.
But the changeover for Wrigley Field from Baseball to Football and back is way more complicated and time consuming than changing over a stadium where that was the intention. There is no way they would go back in forth. The Purdue-Northwestern game in 21 was in Mid-November. This one ran a risk (albeit a very slight one) that the Cubs would make a run deep into the playoffs and then the game would have had to have been moved back to Evanston.
I don't think Wrigley is an option at all before November.

After reading all the options, I am curious why Soldier Field is out.

I believe they originally planned to have the new Ryan Field open for the 2026 season, but they still don't have all of the zoning/City Council approvals, etc. So I'm assuming it might not be done for our next scheduled game over there. Anyone heard where they plan to play during construction of the new stadium? I couldn't find an answer via googling, and their football board seems to be premium. Thanks!
Most likely we’ll get exclusive coverage on Comedy Central at the rate both programs are trending.

Brady Street Stadium in Davenport

30b7a6b4-0ad7-42fc-b6d5-efe9d607ae0b_1920x1080.jpg

SHould go to soldier field.

Lol that any conversation about Chicago always gets to the word, “Naperville”.
Not sure if this is some kind of political shot or what, but DuPage County has almost a million people, and I would guess that a very large portion of Northwestern's Chicago-area fan base lives there, so I don't think it's irrelevant.

If the Brewers move out of Milwaukee, maybe they can use Miller Park? Probably about an hour to the north of Evanston.

If the Brewers move out of Milwaukee, maybe they can use Miller Park? Probably about an hour to the north of Evanston.
I see now that is supposed to be Jimmy Hoffa's resting place. Just outside the stadium. Sounds like they may get to dig to look.

But the changeover for Wrigley Field from Baseball to Football and back is way more complicated and time consuming than changing over a stadium where that was the intention. There is no way they would go back in forth. The Purdue-Northwestern game in 21 was in Mid-November. This one ran a risk (albeit a very slight one) that the Cubs would make a run deep into the playoffs and then the game would have had to have been moved back to Evanston.
I'm not going to pretend to know what the difference would be in "man hours" in changing Wrigley back and forth compared to the old cookie-cutter stadiums, but I know that in those days there would be large sections of stands moved in and out, which isn't the case with Wrigley other than that one small corner. Also, as far as game conflicts, those still exist in areas where stadiums are located adjacent to each other in the same parking lot, making concurrent football and baseball games impossible (Philly, KC, Seattle, Detroit, others), so that's not a deal-breaker. Even this year Game 7 of the World Series was scheduled for tomorrow, and that in theory could have taken place at Wrigley. They work things out. Not saying it's certain, and it's obviously not ideal, but I think to say that there is no way they could do it is inaccurate.

Ya, this timelapse Peacock put on Twitter looks like a lot of work to do on a weekly basis...

Thanks. I had read an article that mentioned Seat Geek Stadium. Another one I thought of was NIU's stadium. Seat Geek is in Chicago, but I don't think it take much longer to drive to Dekalb from Evanston as it does to drive to the southwest side of Chicago. Huskie Stadium seats 24,000 and Seat Geek seats 20,000. I don't know about NU fans, but I'd think visiting fans would find Seat Geek a more unique experience. NIU has turf, so at least wearing out the grass wouldn't be an issue. Seat Geek would probably let them decorate it all up in NU logos.
Either of these two would work. Although Seat Geek (what the hell kind of sponsor is that?) would be easier because they wouldn't have to fight with NIU on scheduling conflicts. And lets face it, it won't be Northwestern fans selling out the stadium at either one of those places.

This question is about something way in the future. What are the plans for soldier field?? Maybe it will still be able to accommodate a football game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT