ADVERTISEMENT

Where's Gable???

razorsedgeCE

Scout Team
Nov 19, 2017
Just been reminiscing a bit about the Gable Era, I know a few years back he had been named as an assistant coach. I'm a huge Brands fan, and I think that it's a tough dynamic for a head coach (especially one of Gable's caliber) to come back and serve as an assistant under one of his former wrestlers.

Just curious if anyone knows about Gable's whereabouts? Is he still around the program? Is he helping out in any way?

I think it's tough for Gable to be away from the sport. I remember reading an article one time about when the Hawkeyes were struggling at the NCAA's and Gable's daughter burst into the hotel room and yelled "Dad you gotta come back!!!" Gable said something to the effect of "do you wanna kill me, that's why I left in the first place!!!"

Can't get enough Gable stories, if anyone has any insights I would appreciate it.

He is in the room occasionally..and I talked to him at the meet Friday.

He regularly shares his thoughts
Wow awesome!!! What are his thoughts about this year? Any other good insights? Is he critical at all? Does he do anything at practice other than spectate (I know he's not getting any younger and is pretty beat up, but after all it is Gable). Thanks for sharing!!!

He is traveling a lot promoting wrestling and his new book, A Wrestling Life 2. If you have not yet read it, I highly recommend that you do.
Oh wow, I didn't know that there was a Part 2. I read the first one and every other book I could find on Iowa Wrestling. One of my favorites came out a decade or so ago and is pretty hard to find. It's called simply "Domination." Lots of candid stories and behind the scenes stuff. That's what I like to hear about the most. I will def check out Pt. 2. Thanks for the heads up!!!

Domination was written by Todd Conner who is the offical/unoffical Iowa wrestling blogger. I have a signed edition. I am sure if you reach out by using the comments section of his blog he will tell you what needs to be done to get it. Todd, by the way, is a great guy!
I had a chance to talk to Gable on a couple of different occasions. He is still very much promoting the sport and will do anything that he can to help in that.
One conversation I had with him I asked him if it was hard being an assistant coach. He said in many ways it was way more difficult being the assistant. But he thought that him being on staff would help Hawkeye wrestling. You have to remember what one of the main motivation factors of him resigning (at 49! Just think how many more titles he would have won.) was the wear and tear on his body, but much of it had to do with the emotional wear and tear he had. He absolutely hated it when one of his guys lost. I mean he REALLY hated it. He also was not liking the behind the scenes administration stuff he had to do. As an assistant he didn't have to worry much about that.
As far as the question is he around much? He has tickets in section NN. I happen to have my season tickets in the same section and a few rows up. As such I get to see him every time he is there, which is still a lot. He is very free in giving his time for pictures and autographs. It is a lot of fun watching him interacting with the kids. It is a side of him that really heartwarming to see.
As far as practices are concerned, I know that he was working on some stuff with Kem-Dog last year before Big Tens. He shows up occasionally, but he is very sensitive to the fact that it is Tom and Terry's program.
Hope this helps with the questions you have.

Domination was written by Todd Conner who is the offical/unoffical Iowa wrestling blogger. I have a signed edition. I am sure if you reach out by using the comments section of his blog he will tell you what needs to be done to get it. Todd, by the way, is a great guy!
I had a chance to talk to Gable on a couple of different occasions. He is still very much promoting the sport and will do anything that he can to help in that.
One conversation I had with him I asked him if it was hard being an assistant coach. He said in many ways it was way more difficult being the assistant. But he thought that him being on staff would help Hawkeye wrestling. You have to remember what one of the main motivation factors of him resigning (at 49! Just think how many more titles he would have won.) was the wear and tear on his body, but much of it had to do with the emotional wear and tear he had. He absolutely hated it when one of his guys lost. I mean he REALLY hated it. He also was not liking the behind the scenes administration stuff he had to do. As an assistant he didn't have to worry much about that.
As far as the question is he around much? He has tickets in section NN. I happen to have my season tickets in the same section and a few rows up. As such I get to see him every time he is there, which is still a lot. He is very free in giving his time for pictures and autographs. It is a lot of fun watching him interacting with the kids. It is a side of him that really heartwarming to see.
As far as practices are concerned, I know that he was working on some stuff with Kem-Dog last year before Big Tens. He shows up occasionally, but he is very sensitive to the fact that it is Tom and Terry's program.
Hope this helps with the questions you have.
Great insights @hawkaeg80!!! Very interesting, thanks for the reply!!

I, too, was unaware of this book ("Domination") and thought my wrestling library was pretty complete. I will be buying it as soon as I find out how. I will also be buying "A Wrestling Life, Pt. 2" soon. Gable was in my hometown a couple weeks ago promoting and signing, but I couldn't make it out. I'm sure he'll be at one of the wrestling events I'll be attending this year. I have, over the past 43 years had many conversations with Mr. Gable at wrestling events, promotions, on RAGBRAI, and during the "Gran Gable" bike rides, and have always found him to be very forthcoming with conversation and information, and have always found him to be down-to-earth and hospitable.

Man, how many times did I have to post that they only wrestle when they want? I wish I could push them. They all practice an train, and all wrestled this week.

About the same number of times people told you that sometimes you have to be a parent. And that your wife, though hot, is a bit of a whack job on this subject.

costanza-answering-machine.gif

Reactions: Dagboi and el dub
Man, how many times did I have to post that they only wrestle when they want? I wish I could push them. They all practice an train, and all wrestled this week.
Seems like this might contradict the prior, "my kids don't wrestle anymore" post?

About the same number of times people told you that sometimes you have to be a parent. And that your wife, though hot, is a bit of a whack job on this subject.

Be a parent? What did I do or not do? My wife babies the shit out of them, but they all have to be involved in something.

Last time I talk about my kids.

Be a parent? What did I do or not do? My wife babies the shit out of them, but they all have to be involved in something.

Last time I talk about my kids.

Sometimes it’s the job of a parent to say no.

In the past you’ve said your wife is the wrestling maniac.

She’s hot. Post pics of her please.

Reactions: DirkTang1
Sometimes it’s the job of a parent to say no.

In the past you’ve said your wife is the wrestling maniac.

She’s hot. Post pics of her please.

She just liked to travel all over the country and party with our wrestling crew we had. I did not.

If a pic is posted I'll be single.

She just liked to travel all over the country and party with our wrestling crew we had. I did not.

If a pic is posted I'll be single.

Meh. You pointed out to us when she was on the news a couple years ago. This would be a nice follow up.

Reactions: DirkTang1
ADVERTISEMENT