ADVERTISEMENT

Which assistants are in line for a head coach job?

cb_Iowa

HR All-American
Gold Member
Jun 1, 2016
College football coaching carousel 2017: Which assistants are in line for a head coach job?

"17. Brian Ferentz, Iowa offensive coordinator – He has the pedigree from playing at Iowa and coaching for the Patriots to check a lot of boxes. Ferentz would bring a distinct pro-style identity and a name that’s among the most respected in the sport."

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-fo...assistants-line-head-coach-job-003056257.html

Time will tell.

Um no. A little early for that talk.
You know, when I first thought about this I was dead set against it. I've started coming around more to the idea... Brian is very intelligent, young, energetic, has learned from such great mentors, he played the game ... and he knows Iowa football. Anything is possible. Time will tell. First up: Brian has to have tremendous success as the OC ... otherwise will be a hard sell to make him the top man in a few years ...

Just looking at the photo of Schiano made me recall this. A buddy of mine who is close friends with Dallas Clark said that when Dallas played form Schiano at Tampa Bay the players just hated him. That he was a dominating prick who didn't listen to anyone.

Don't know if this is true or if he was even the coach at TB when Dallas played there, but I've never liked the guy after hearing this. Kinda shocks me when I hear Urban Crier talk about what a great guy he is.

You know, when I first thought about this I was dead set against it. I've started coming around more to the idea... Brian is very intelligent, young, energetic, has learned from such great mentors, he played the game ... and he knows Iowa football. Anything is possible. Time will tell. First up: Brian has to have tremendous success as the OC ... otherwise will be a hard sell to make him the top man in a few years ...

also, there is no reason he has to become head coach here, next. He could have a year or two then go take a MAC job or take a step down and take a 1-AA job like Iowa State when it opens next year.

Next two off seasons will play out like this-- In April 2018, a couple NFL teams that need a OC will sniff around, Brian will refuse to entertain any questions about said sniffing -- he will neither confirm nor deny that there were talks but he will let us know that he has spent most of his life around Iowa football. Barta will panic and in July make BF the highest paid OC in America. In December 2018, a couple college teams that need a new HC will sniff around followed by another inquiry from the NFL in April. Barta will wet his pants and promote Brian to CO-head-coach. August 2019 will arrive with Iowa as the first program to ever have 2 head-coaches, that too a father-son combo. All of us will welcome this happily because BF's 2017 and 2018 offenses would've ended each season ranked in the top-25 and Iowa would've made its first playoff appearance.

What happens afterwards though I am unable to predict.

Next two off seasons will play out like this-- In April 2018, a couple NFL teams that need a OC will sniff around, Brian will refuse to entertain any questions about said sniffing -- he will neither confirm nor deny that there were talks but he will let us know that he has spent most of his life around Iowa football. Barta will panic and in July make BF the highest paid OC in America. In December 2018, a couple college teams that need a new HC will sniff around followed by another inquiry from the NFL in April. Barta will wet his pants and promote Brian to CO-head-coach. August 2019 will arrive with Iowa as the first program to ever have 2 head-coaches, that too a father-son combo. All of us will welcome this happily because BF's 2017 and 2018 offenses would've ended each season ranked in the top-25 and Iowa would've made its first playoff appearance.

What happens afterwards though I am unable to predict.
It's obvious. He'll end up being the head coach by himself when Kirk retires and will be making $8 million a year.

I would like to see him take ahead coaching job, like his dad did at Maine, even if it is just for a couple of years. That could really open his eyes about creating and handling a staff, etc...

Part of it is that some of our best position coaches and recruiters probably won't be around forever. Specifically, coach Reese. How are we going to replace him? He has uncovered more hidden gems than most of the rest of the coaches combined.

Coach Parker may want to be a head coach if BF does get the head job someday. Do you elevate Wallace? Lots of big decisions down the road. Obviously Doyle should not be allowed to retire until age 85.

I go back and forth on this. The way I see it there are pros and cons to whatever happens with BF.

Pros:
He is an Iowa Guy, I think he would view this as a destination job.
He appears to be energetic and a little different from the old man with swagger
He seems like the guy that would circle ISU and say "we are burying these guys every year" (same with Debby)
He seems to be really knowledgeable

Cons:
Do we really want 40 years of a coach named Ferentz?
1st HC gig
There are ALOT of good coaches are we limiting ourselves because its "safe"

At the end of the day I think a lot comes down to what he does as an O.C

Last edited:
I'm open to it. Want to see how he performs as OC. I do like how BF has some swagger to him.
This is where I'm at. I honestly don't see Iowa being competitive in the way they have been without the line play we have seen with Kirk. If Brian can continue with the same style of football as his dad does, with strong lines, and show he is a capable OC, I would be very happy.

I also wonder if they could some how keep KF around as like the 10th coach purely to coach the o-line. Give him zero recruiting responsibilities and put that weight on the rest of the staff. The program might want/need to move away from him as HC but he is an O-line guru and strikes me as a guy who would enjoy "just coaching" and wouldn't be offended by the title.

If he stays and does well as Iowa's OC, they could tag him as assistant head coach. Not sure if the hiring process and Board of Regents would allow him to be designated as the coach-in-waiting successor...

I would like to see him take ahead coaching job, like his dad did at Maine, even if it is just for a couple of years. That could really open his eyes about creating and handling a staff, etc...

Part of it is that some of our best position coaches and recruiters probably won't be around forever. Specifically, coach Reese. How are we going to replace him? He has uncovered more hidden gems than most of the rest of the coaches combined.

Coach Parker may want to be a head coach if BF does get the head job someday. Do you elevate Wallace? Lots of big decisions down the road. Obviously Doyle should not be allowed to retire until age 85.
I think if Phil really wanted to be a HC, he'd have been gone by now. IMHO of course.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT