ADVERTISEMENT

Which Iowa football victories still make your heart leap with joy?

Also Ohio State, and win again Nebraska but especially 56-14. (I was there). And ruining ISU's national stage last year (I was there)

But my favorite game of all time is Indiana when Stanzi threw like 5 picks and Iowa still dominated. If Sash doesn't get that INT pinball it's a different game.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Wisconsin in 04 - scoreboard watching, realizing what was at stake and then Celebrating a Big Ten title in Kinnick under the lights was pretty special.
OSU 04 & 17 - beatdowns of OSU in Kinnick will always have a special place in my heart.
Michigan in 16 - I didn’t give Iowa a chance in this game...never been so happy to be wrong.

Honorable Mentions: PSU in 08 & 09, ASU in 2003, Any of the multiple ISU or nebraska beatdowns

I was too young for some of these, but I know about them. Others I saw in person or on TV.

* 1956 -- #7 Iowa defeats #6 Ohio State 6-0 to break the longest winning streak in Big Ten history (OSU had won 17 straight)
* 1957 and 1959 Rose Bowls over Oregon State and Cal
* 1981 -- Iowa upsets #6 Nebraska 10-7 to open the season, and delirious Iowa fans chant "Rose Bowl! Rose Bowl! Rose Bowl" as the final seconds tick away . . . and, as it turns out, they were prophets. [Iowa had lost to Nebraska 57-0 in Lincoln one year earlier.]
* 1981 -- Iowa upsets #7 UCLA 20-7, and the greatest Hawkeye season in 20 years is rolling.
* 1981 -- Iowa crushes MSU 36-7 while Ohio State is upsetting Michigan to send Iowa to the Rose Bowl for the first time since 1959. Because it came after 20 years of losing seasons, it may be the biggest Iowa win I've ever seen--or ever will see.
* 1982 Peach Bowl -- Iowa beats Tennessee 28-22 in the Peach Bowl in Atlanta, on Dec. 31, Iowa's second bowl game in one calendar year (1982 Rose Bowl on Jan. 1 was the other.)
* 1984 -- Iowa destroys Texas, which had been ranked #1 at midseason, 55-17 in the Freedom Bowl in a driving rain in Anaheim
* 1985 -- #1 Iowa defeats #2 Michigan
* 2005 -- Iowa beats defending national champion LSU and Nick Saban on Tate to Holloway final play in Cap 1 Bowl
* 2009 -- "7 got 6" on the final play to beat MSU and keep Iowa undefeated (9-0). This also may have been the most physical football game I've ever seen.
* 2017 -- Iowa 55, Ohio State 24, in one of the most dominating performances in Iowa football history.

There are many, many others, but I'll let the rest of you fill in the ones I've left out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will go with ‘85 Michigan ( I was there in the crowd of 125,000) and Cap 1 Bowl over LSU.
Add ‘81 over kNebby and MSU.

Michigan 2002 -- Michigan waved the white flag of surrender in the 4th quarter at home in a 34-9 loss to the Hawks

Nebraska 1981 -- Breakthrough win for Hayden Fry 10-7 over Tom Osborne's Cornhuskers. Iowa was a 20-point underdog in that season opener.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
LSU with Tate for sure without a doubt

this last one with usc for sure because i think we may not have a season

LankyMeatyCommabutterfly-small.gif

I was too young for some of these, but I know about them. Others I saw in person or on TV.

* 1956 -- #7 Iowa defeats #6 Ohio State 6-0 to break the longest winning streak in Big Ten history (OSU had won 17 straight)
* 1957 and 1959 Rose Bowls over Oregon State and Cal
* 1981 -- Iowa upsets #6 Nebraska 10-7 to open the season, and delirious Iowa fans chant "Rose Bowl! Rose Bowl! Rose Bowl" as the final seconds tick away . . . and, as it turns out, they were prophets.
* 1981 -- Iowa upsets #7 UCLA 20-7, and the greatest Hawkeye season in 20 years is rolling.
* 1981 -- Iowa crushes MSU 36-7 while Ohio State is upsetting Michigan to send Iowa to the Rose Bowl for the first time since 1959. Because it came after 20 years of losing seasons, it may be the biggest Iowa win I've ever seen--or ever will see.
* 1982 Peach Bowl -- Iowa beats Tennessee 28-22 in the Peach Bowl in Atlanta, on Dec. 31, Iowa's second bowl game in one calendar year (1982 Rose Bowl on Jan. 1 was the other.)
* 1984 -- Iowa destroys Texas, which had been ranked #1 at midseason, 55-17 in the Freedom Bowl in a driving rain in Anaheim
* 1985 -- #1 Iowa defeats #2 Michigan
* 2005 -- Iowa beats defending national champion LSU and Nick Saban on Tate to Holloway final play
* 2009 -- "7 got 6" on the final play to beat MSU and keep Iowa undefeated (9-0). This also may have been the most physical football game I've ever seen.
* 2017 -- Iowa 55, Ohio State 24, in one of the most dominating performances in Iowa football history.

There are many, many others, but I'll let the rest of you fill in the ones I've left out.
You the man!!!

The Capital One Bowl game because I was there, with a bunch of my best friends from HS, witnessing Sagan’s demise, Tates greatness and the best last second play in Iowa history.

There are many but I'll start this off with the win over an undefeated PSU back in, (I think 2008). The Nittany Lions were thinking national championship but that FG on the last play of the game spoiled it for JoPa and his team. Which game is your favorite win?

"THE KICK IS GOOD! , THE KICK IS GOOD!"

Zs words will never leave my brain. Like most of the hawk faithful, I had my TV on mute and radio on.

Honorable mention is Tate to Holloway, watching the disbelief on LSU sideline.

Many good ones posted but these two made me jump up and down screaming. Good times..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT