ADVERTISEMENT

Which Losing Scenario @ Ohio State Would Impress You The Most?

Which Losing Scenario @ Ohio State Would Impress You The Most?

• Iowa Scores 20 By But Loses by 17

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Iowa Scores 14 But Loses by 10

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • Iowa Scores 24 But Loses by 21

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Iowa Scores 10 But Loses by 7

Votes: 34 55.7%

• Total voters
Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
Two obvious things Ohio State will try to do. Test us deep when they are on O and then load up to stop the run when on defense. We know what's coming.
Exactly. So Iowa needs to make some "halftime" adjustments during this bye week. Iowa needs to have a package for Sullivan, and they need to play him about half the snaps. OSU will not be ready to defend a quick, mobile QB running RPO. That's adjustment no. 1. And then, of course, Iowa needs to install an actual big-boy, downfield passing attack. Receivers can't get open? Throw them open. But how about some quick slants, some wheel routes, some TEs up the seam?

Iowa has a ton of options to deploy against OSU that, if used, would give the Hawkeyes the best chance to win. The question, as always, is this: Will KF unleash the total offense, sideline to sideline, and forty and fifty yards down field? After all, doing so would be what's called "complementary offense," and that makes for "complementary football."

Damn, it's so frustrating when everyone can see what Iowa could be except for KF, who prefers to play offense in a phone booth. What a shame.

Exactly. So Iowa needs to make some "halftime" adjustments during this bye week. Iowa needs to have a package for Sullivan, and they need to play him about half the snaps. OSU will not be ready to defend a quick, mobile QB running RPO. That's adjustment no. 1. And then, of course, Iowa needs to install an actual big-boy, downfield passing attack. Receivers can't get open? Throw them open. But how about some quick slants, some wheel routes, some TEs up the seam?

Iowa has a ton of options to deploy against OSU that, if used, would give the Hawkeyes the best chance to win. The question, as always, is this: Will KF unleash the total offense, sideline to sideline, and forty and fifty yards down field? After all, doing so would be what's called "complementary offense," and that makes for "complementary football."

Damn, it's so frustrating when everyone can see what Iowa could be except for KF, who prefers to play offense in a phone booth. What a shame.
Yes, it will impress me to see Sullivan get in the game other than goaline. If he's the man when it's 3rd and goal at the 5, why isn't he when it's 3rd and 5 at the 45?

Interesting thing to think about.
I chose "score 14, but lose by 10".

Shows that we did some things on offense against a top team and didn't get the doors blown off on defense (24 allowed against OSU isn't a failure).

The other options, like scoring 20, but giving up 37.... Yuck... Defense looks abused. Same goes for the 24-45 score... 🤮

Losing 10-17, just sounds like a typical (defense does well, but offense is sh*tty)

A lot of talk so far that lack of downfield passing game will kill us.

But, I am OK not taking long-shots but execution in short & medium-range will be crucial. They will load the box daring us to throw and we may still have some success running but cannot sustain that against 4-5* guys all 4 quarters. They will wear us down.

A game like this is where it may all depend on Cade finding Ostrenga for a few short & medium gainers to sustain drives to at least get us to either mid-field to punt & pin them deep or score. Lachey will get all the attention but if they neutralize Ostrenga, no chance.

Interesting thing to think about.
I chose "score 14, but lose by 10".

Shows that we did some things on offense against a top team and didn't get the doors blown off on defense (24 allowed against OSU isn't a failure).

The other options, like scoring 20, but giving up 37.... Yuck... Defense looks abused. Same goes for the 24-45 score... 🤮

Losing 10-17, just sounds like a typical (defense does well, but offense is sh*tty)
That's where I'm at, though I could see the 17 pt loss being the most likely. Will we score 20+ pts?.........Maybe. That's like a 25% chance. But the 14 and 10 option at least shows that we did stuff on both ends.

No, Sullivan won't be playing half the snaps.

They can run and pass, a tough stop for any defense. They have a couple NFL caliber receivers, so I think we will have a tough time holding them in check.

How about none of the above? Obviously we'd love to win but based on the past 4 years against the big boys it's not looking good for us. We've basically not even been able to cross midfield. To me, real improvement would be something like a 21-17, 24-20 type of game. Now I know that's probably being unreasonable as we'll probably be a 16-18 point underdog, so clearly that's wishful thinking. Would just like to see us be competitive against real teams again.

Didn't work so well for Gophs.
Doesn't mean everybody isn't going to continue to do it. The huge positive out of that game is we couldn't run the ball at all against the Gophs last year. Now the talent level is just a wee bit higher for Ohio St than it is for Minny.

I have no idea but see OSU pressing our WR with man defense, 7 up front to stop run and 2 safeties up close on TE. But what do i know.

I just want see some ****ing points scored - hell, even if its just a garbage time FG - by the Iowa offense next Saturday. That'll be my lowly "moral victory" for the day.

Considering the Hawks netted a grand total of ZERO points last year vs ranked opposition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT