ADVERTISEMENT

Which outcome would you be most okay with?

Which one would you take?

• 24 wins, 2nd in league, runner-up BTT, sweet 16

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • 26 wins, 1st in league, runner-up BTT, 2nd round

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • 22 wins, 4th in league, champs BTT, sweet 16

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • 21 wins, 5th league, quarter finals BTT, elite 8

Votes: 48 68.6%

• Total voters

Hawkfan_08

HR Legend
Nov 9, 2002
North Liberty
This isn't exactly a doomsday scenario as we know that things can happen in basketball. Which one would you be most okay with in the 20-21season?

I think this team will be fun to watch. And with guys like Garza, Jbo, CMac & CJ leading the way they should be tough as well.

I really can't say, however, what I would be ok with. Whatever they do accomplish, I'm sure I will want a little more.

This isn't exactly a doomsday scenario as we know that things can happen in basketball. Which one would you be most okay with in the 20-21season?
giphy.gif

I think this team will be fun to watch. And with guys like Garza, Jbo, CMac & CJ leading the way they should be tough as well.

I really can't say, however, what I would be ok with. Whatever they do accomplish, I'm sure I will want a little more.

That's kind of my point. I was trying to post some of the more likely scenarios. I would hope that everyone thinks a title is actually a realistic possibility.

Not sure I would be happy with any of your scenarios. I'd want the Hawks to break the 40 odd year string and win the B1G outright. Couldn't care less about the BTT. Then at least get to the Final Four with about 30 total W's. Then, I would be pissed that we didn't win the National Championship, but looking back would be pretty satisfied with the overall season.

Yeah, I know that's asking a lot, but I've been a Hawk fan for a long time and I can dream, can't I?

None of your four scenarios make much sense considering how much firepower Iowa has returning from last year.
Yes the pandemic, untimely injuries, a bad shooting game, an opponent that is on fire, or refs that can't see straight could derail what seems like a fairy tail season to most Iowa fans, could cut the season short.
For me, nothing less than a final four or even a National Championship game is my expectations for this upcoming season...if that doesn't suit you well then I can't help you, I'm sure the players are on board with my expectations as well.

For me, nothing less than a final four or even a National Championship game is my expectations for this upcoming season...if that doesn't suit you well then I can't help you, I'm sure the players are on board with my expectations as well.

I think those expectations are too high and likely will result in disappointment.

the league is incredibly difficult this year so I’ll be happy with a top 4 finish and rolling the dice as a 3 seed in the tourney.

This has to be one of the dumbest polls I've seen. You always want to see your team go the farthest in the NCAA tournament. DUH

Reactions: Hawkeyes19
Well we are going to need to finish in the top 4 of the Big Ten to get at least a 4 seed in the dance. Even then being a 4 seed gets you the 1 seed in the sweet 16. While I really like our firepower, I think to become an elite 8 team we need Bohannon and CJ healthy for the whole season and somebody is going to have to spell Garza for 6-8 minutes a game. And we still have to better defensively.

Option 1 is kind of similar to 1987, just not as many wins and losing a round earlier.

Option 2 is similar to 1979, with a win in the NCAAs

Option 3 is similar to 2001, just a little bit better

Option 4 is similar to 1980, but just misses out on the Final Four

Option 3 doesn't matter compared to the rest. 2001 was a nice story, but nothing compared to the other legendary, for us, seasons of the other 3 years that I'm using for comparison.

Honestly, the first Big Ten title in over 40 years would be pretty special and very hard to turn down. I'd probably take that over anything other than a Final Four appearance. But I think a Big Ten title could be tougher to win for us than making the Final Four. Fran's style does not bode well over the long haul in conference because of horrible reffing allowing the MSU style of play. But his style could work great in the NCAAs depending upon the right matchups.

My preference is to win the conference title. With the talent in this league it would nice to watch my team on top though out the year.

well I certainly voted for elite 8 but I would say I can understand why some would say:

big ten title banner would be awesome as opposed to a banner that says elite 8.

Maybe we can achieve both?

Honestly, that is kind of where I went with my thinking. I can tell you who won the last 3 Big Ten Titles outright, I can't tell you who the last elite 8 teams were.

I think some of you need to chill on expectations. Of course this team should want to and believe they can win a title. So did Kansas, Duke, MSU and heck, even Iowa when we were a 3 seed. Upsets happen all the time which is why it seems unfair to judge an entire season on your outcome of a single elimination tournament.

Reactions: Pepperman
None of your four scenarios make much sense considering how much firepower Iowa has returning from last year.
Yes the pandemic, untimely injuries, a bad shooting game, an opponent that is on fire, or refs that can't see straight could derail what seems like a fairy tail season to most Iowa fans, could cut the season short.
These scenarios make perfect sense if you've grown up as an Iowa fan.

I like it! Dream big or GTFO.

How about no losses, undefeated Big Ten Title, BTT championship and national champs. That I'd vote for.

Reactions: Ronman
Well we are going to need to finish in the top 4 of the Big Ten to get at least a 4 seed in the dance. Even then being a 4 seed gets you the 1 seed in the sweet 16. While I really like our firepower, I think to become an elite 8 team we need Bohannon and CJ healthy for the whole season and somebody is going to have to spell Garza for 6-8 minutes a game. And we still have to better defensively.
I don't think that is true. I could see Illinois or Michigan St as 1-2 seeds. Wisconsin as a 2-3. An injury or two that costs us a few games could knock us out of the top 4, but not really hurt our seeding.

ADVERTISEMENT