ADVERTISEMENT

Which programs did Iowa coaches visit?

SwarmHawks

Team MVP
Gold Member
Sep 18, 2012
Said in D.M. Register this morning:

• New information:
Ferentz said in January he and other Iowa coaches would tour opposing football programs to glean information in an effort to improve. He made good on that promise - the staff visited five universities in the past two months.

"It was really good, and I can't thank the people that have allowed us to come see them," Ferentz said. "They've been great. It's just food for thought, watch people operate in a different way, not only X's and O's but program-wise, recruiting-wise, all those types of things. I think it was healthy for us, and we'll make sure we're doing that on a periodic basis."

Which programs do you think they were? Probably recently successful programs that aren't blue blood programs with all the built-in advantages, but that still recruit well and do some innovative things. I was trying to think which would be good programs to get some new ideas from. Baylor? TCU? Not blue bloods, but recent success, getting some good talent.

Ferentz noted after the season, Iowa's never going to try to become like an Oregon, stay more pro-style, power, traditional but that he liked what the Green Bay Packers were doing. Packers have some Iowa players. Of course connections to Patriots.

Noticed Iowa recruiting, offered a ton more scholarships this early than previous years. Maybe new strategy from coaches' visits to other programs. Thoughts?

If I know Ferentz which of course I do, not really, but anyways. I'd say Arkansas, Kansas State, Penn State, Texas, and Oklahoma.
As in Beliema, Stoops, Snyder, Prnn State because KF loved Joe Pa, and Texas because Greg Davis. I'd possibly throw Stanford in there as well.

Yep, I heard they went down to Arkansas to look at the defense and how they defend the edge in the SEC now that Bielema is no longer an enemy.

Appalachian State, Memphis, Wyoming, South Dakota State and Arkansas.

No way he tries to implement anything Baylor\TCU have in their offense, goes COMPLETELY against his philosophy (you know, score as much as you possibly can vs hold onto that 3pt lead for 3qrts).

Originally posted by Hawks2405:
Yep, I heard they went down to Arkansas to look at the defense and how they defend the edge in the SEC now that Bielema is no longer an enemy.
Gosh, I really hope the staff learned something on that topic!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT