ADVERTISEMENT

Which squad would you choose?

Lumas Etima

HR MVP
Apr 1, 2003
Next year's freshmen vs. Lickliter's last season. Each squad includes 5 starters and 1 reserve. Which would you choose? (This assumes P-Mac gets a medical redshirt)

SQUAD 1
Ahron Ulis
Tony Perkins
Kris Murray
Keegan Murray
Josh Ogundele
Patrick McCaffery

SQUAD 2
Anthony Tucker (So.)
Matt Gatens (So.)
Eric May (Fr.)
Aaron Fuller (So.)
Jarryd Cole (Jr.)
Cully Payne (Fr.)

Tucker was already gone I think. Whoever replaced him was worse.

Still the Lick team would probably win based on age and experience. Fuller was a good college player and Gatens was outstanding. May and Cole were good when healthy.

Lute coaching both teams finds a way to make experience count.

I will take #2 because Matt Gatens was really the only guy who was awesome out of that group. Group 2 could end up amazing or they could be a complete bust. We don't know. Group 1 could end up the best, but Group 2 could end up the best class in Hawkeye history. Impossible to guess.

That looks to be him. That shooting stroke seemed familiar and then I looked it up and saw the birth dates match.

https://hawkeyesports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/anthony-tucker/2583

https://aseanbasketballleague.com/player/anthony-tucker/

latest

Reactions: Kurt Warner
Next year's freshmen vs. Lickliter's last season. Each squad includes 5 starters and 1 reserve. Which would you choose? (This assumes P-Mac gets a medical redshirt)

SQUAD 1
Ahron Ulis
Tony Perkins
Kris Murray
Keegan Murray
Josh Ogundele
Patrick McCaffery

SQUAD 2
Anthony Tucker (So.)
Matt Gatens (So.)
Eric May (Fr.)
Aaron Fuller (So.)
Jarryd Cole (Jr.)
Cully Payne (Fr.)

I feel the need to point out that while Tucker only played 11 games for the Hawks his SO year, those 6 guys averaged nearly 60ppg for a team that averaged 60 ppg. That team's bigger problem was their bench. Once Tucker left, their bench was essentially Devin Bawinkle and Brennan Cougill, though John Lickliter and Andrew Brommer played about 8mpg each.

That said, I'll go with squad 1.

I think everyone's love of Gatens is skewed by the final 6 games of his career when he couldn't miss. it was incredible. before that all I can remember is him driving the lane and getting rejected. Lickliter tried to bulk him up and it slowed him down... sophomore Gatens? squad 1

This is good one OP.. Id lean 1 since Lickliter isnt coaching.

Side note.. god bless Gatens. Was so happy he won a game in the NIT before he left.

I think everyone's love of Gatens is skewed by the final 6 games of his career when he couldn't miss. it was incredible. before that all I can remember is him driving the lane and getting rejected. Lickliter tried to bulk him up and it slowed him down... sophomore Gatens? squad 1

Gatens improved his numbers in almost every category every year he played here topping out at 15 ppg and shooting 41% from three. Yeah, he had that spectacular stretch when he was our leading scorer in 11 of the last twelve games, but IMO, he was a very steady player for us his entire tenure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT