ADVERTISEMENT

Which state will be first to pass a bill to outlaw gay marriage?

soybean

HR King
Sep 30, 2001
Texas? Florida? There are a few others in play as well, but one of them surely will, and soon...so a court case can be in front of this Supreme Court ASAP. The race is on. And speaking of race, will any state dare to pass laws against intercial marriage again? Come on Virginia, you can do it.

Don’t a lot of states already have DOMA-type laws on the books, they’ve just been invalidated by SCOTUS?

I suppose what will happen is some rogue county clerk like the one in Kentucky will have to refuse a license and then it’ll get the ball rolling.

Reactions: Torg and Tom Paris
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
It’s not that far-fetched. Obergefell, like Roe, had some pretty flimsy legal reasoning within the opinion that opens it up to strict interpretation that everything belongs to the states. Obergefell had both sides arguing for the same outcome, which means there wasn’t a true “controversy”. That’s something that could be poked at if it is re-examined.

Not to mention 3 of the dissents are still on SCOTUS.

I'm going with Mississippi or Texas.

While Florida does some douchey things, there's actually fairly decent support for gay marriage statewide unlike those two which are outright hostile.

Awful lot of money in the PRIDE game now not sure if Texas would want to be seen as anti business.

There are serious business and economic ramifications for a state to do this...Those consequences have to be considered. Corporations will re-locate, if forced to because of this issue.
If I was in the restaurant/hotel industries, which still haven't fully recovered from covid, I would not want to have gay marriages illegal in the state. That's lost money/taxes that a community could use.

So you are saying homosexuality IS normal?

If you look up the definition of "normal", I would say homosexuality is not normal.
It's not the "norm", but it is normal sexual behavior. It happens in nature as well.

Republicans in charge are being incredibly stupid right now. With everything regarding inflation, gas prices, etc, they were in a good position to gain some wins during next election.

But most people who are independents are not going to vote their way. Economic factors can change for better. But this abortion nonsense and if they start trying to get rid of gay marriage....there really won't be a choice to vote Republican.

But sure, cater your message to the vast minority of voters. Solid strategy

Republicans in charge are being incredibly stupid right now. With everything regarding inflation, gas prices, etc, they were in a good position to gain some wins during next election.

But most people who are independents are not going to vote their way. Economic factors can change for better. But this abortion nonsense and if they start trying to get rid of gay marriage....there really won't be a choice to vote Republican.

At the end of the day, the economy and how much people make and have in their bank account pretty much trumps (no pun intended) all, including abortion.

They'll be fine in the House and most State Legislatures. Gerrymandering has removed accountability.

Reactions: BelemNole
Yep. Lib irrational fear. Just like the 25 year-old douche I saw walking alone in a park on a summer day wearing 2 masks.
How can it be irrational when a sittiing member of the Supreme Court, Clarence Thomas, has explicity stated that other rights founded under the right to privacy and substantive due process should be re-examined based on the Dobb's ruling? That is nothing less than an invitation.

Its virtually certain that Federalist Society chapters in deep red states are coordinating with conservative law firm experts to draw up legal challenges right now.

They'll come after contraception too. Many forms prevent a fertilized egg from implanting, and since conception is when life begins those forms of birth control are murder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT