ADVERTISEMENT

Which team would make the next great ESPN 30 for 30 style documentary?

Menace Sockeyes

HR Legend
Sep 2, 2010
Just finished re-watching ‘85 Bears. The team focused docs are almost always my favorite. So who is missing and why would it be a great story? Here are who we have had so far…

Miami Hurricanes football - late ‘80s-early ‘90s
Knicks and Pacers of NBA - mid-‘90s
Loyola Marymount of college bball - late ‘80s
UNLV of college bball - late 80s-early ‘90s
1995 South Africa National Rugby Team
L.A. Raiders - 1982–1994
Colombia National Soccer Team - late ‘80s-mid ‘90s
SMU Football - early ‘80s
Michigan Basketball- early ‘90s
1983 NC State Basketball
University of Houston basketball - mid ‘80s
Detroit Pistons - Late ‘80s-early ‘90s
NY Knicks - 1970s
1980 US Olympic Hockey Team
USC football - Mid 2000s
Buffalo Bills - early ‘90s
1985 Chicago Bears
Orlando Magic - Mid ‘90s
Celtics vs Lakers - 1980s
Chicago Bulls - 1990s
1986 NY Mets

2922b0fe-f7c3-11de-84ea-001cc4c002e0.image.jpg

Wouldn't bode well for USOC but something on the 2000s women's gymnastics program.
Penn State 2011 football season

I bet both would really cast a light on joust how bad things were and how many people have avoiding consequences for their actions or inactions.

Northwestern losing 34 consecutive college football games
The 1995 team that stunned the Big Ten would be interesting. I remember they beat Notre Dame early in the season and during a post-game interview a reporter asked Gary Barnett a question that insulted him. He abruptly ended the interview, saying “I don’t have to take this shit, I just beat Notre Dame!”

It would also be interesting to see Bill Snyder turning around K-State. Or Hayden Fry and Jerry LeVias integrating the SWC.

The 1995 team that stunned the Big Ten would be interesting. I remember they beat Notre Dame early in the season and during a post-game interview a reporter asked Gary Barnett a question that insulted him. He abruptly ended the interview, saying “I don’t have to take this shit, I just beat Notre Dame!”

It would also be interesting to see Bill Snyder turning around K-State. Or Hayden Fry and Jerry LeVias integrating the SWC.
BTN did one about as good as you could do on that 1995 Northwestern team for the Big Ten Elite series. Always thought that series should do the 1997 Iowa wrestling team. Going from not favored to win the title to the greatest NCAA tournament performance ever in Gable’s final season.

My buddies and I coaching 5th and 6th flag football players morning after we played a varsity game the previous night would seem like fiction. We made one kid wear a ski mask just to intimidate competition.

Both are probably too far in the past to be relevant, but 3030 could've done great stories on a couple of groups from the 1970s:
***The Oakland A's; dominant franchise with some huge personalities & egos
***The Broad Street Bullies; the Flyers had a great mix of talent & physical play, probably the most successful "goonish" team ever. Won a couple of Cups, get overlooked because there were other very good teams at the time who played a flashier style. Philly had a lot of talent, but was also more than happy to drop the gloves. The way the game's played now, there will never be another team like them.

Not necessarily a single team, but the NHL from 2010 to 2020 was one hell of a decade. Chicago and LA having supposed "dynasties" running simultaneously, Crosby finally living up to the hype, Ovi finally getting a cup, and last to first Blues. Great stories front to back.

Not necessarily a single team, but the NHL from 2010 to 2020 was one hell of a decade. Chicago and LA having supposed "dynasties" running simultaneously, Crosby finally living up to the hype, Ovi finally getting a cup, and last to first Blues. Great stories front to back.
If any team from that decade will get a 30 for 30 it will be the Blackhawks, only now it will include a more unfortunate storyline. Too bad, as I loved those teams.

Reactions: srams21 and DooBii

Seriously, they should do one on Hayden Fry. Yes, he officially raised the Iowa football program from the dead in 1981, but he's so much more than that. He was the first to desegregate the old Southwest Conference at SMU in the 1960s. The legendary coaching tree. He never won the biggest of the big games, but he certainly left his mark on the college football landscape.

That would be a terrible documentary. Just awful

Just finished re-watching ‘85 Bears. The team focused docs are almost always my favorite. So who is missing and why would it be a great story? Here are who we have had so far…

L.A. Raiders - 1982–1994
1983 NC State Basketball
NY Knicks - 1970s
USC football - Mid 2000s
1985 Chicago Bears
Orlando Magic - Mid ‘90s
Chicago Bulls - 1990s
1986 NY Mets
93 Phillies were awesome. Dykstra, Kruk, Hollins, Dutch, Schilling, Anderson, Wild Thing, Eisenreich (Tourette's), Morandini, Mulholland. They were animals. And Dave Hollins was a badass.

Great article here on them.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
93 Phillies were awesome. Dykstra, Kruk, Hollins, Dutch, Schilling, Anderson, Wild Thing, Eisenreich (Tourette's), Morandini, Mulholland. They were animals. And Dave Hollins was a badass.

Great article here on them.

I’d hate-watch this. A Kruk of A-holes might be a good title, as to my tween eyes and ears, Kruk was a super cool guy on a team of d-bags. Was I wrong?

EDIT: I remember hating the Blue Jays too. Maybe I was just bitter about the first team I truly loved, the ‘93 White Sox, breaking my heart that year.

2003 Marlins

Payroll discrepancies between other playoff teams, No fan support, Jack McKeon hired mid season, Dontrelle Willis rookie year, Miguel Cabrera rookie year, Beckett's dominance, Beating Bonds in NLDS, Bartman game in NLCS, winning WS @ Yankee Stadium

L.A. Raiders - 1982–1994
1983 NC State Basketball
NY Knicks - 1970s
USC football - Mid 2000s
1985 Chicago Bears
Orlando Magic - Mid ‘90s
Chicago Bulls - 1990s
1986 NY Mets
2017 Astros and Cheating Scandal

Was there one on UCLA/John Wooden and its cheating with Sam Gilbert?

I’d hate-watch this. A Kruk of A-holes might be a good title, as to my tween eyes and ears, Kruk was a super cool guy on a team of d-bags. Was I wrong?

EDIT: I remember hating the Blue Jays too. Maybe I was just bitter about the first team I truly loved, the ‘93 White Sox, breaking my heart that year.
Might have been ass holes to everyone else but they are one of the most beloved teams by Philly fans in all sports. I loved them. They were to baseball what those Flyers teams were to hockey.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT