ADVERTISEMENT

Which truck should I buy?

Well the Maverick is being pushed as pretty utilitarian and definitely not top end,.. I think the base version stickers at around 20K...
Even then he said it felt pretty cheap. Just passing along what I have heard.

And I am in the market for a flatbed, 3/4 ton flatbed so utilitarian interiors don't bother me.

Reactions: Rifler
Have a double cab myself. Good thing about them is that you get the full 6.5 foot bed while still having a backseat big enough for adults. Get a towing package and you can do 10k

Double cab example

d77ff01b7d5fcd1a9873ed794c7ff24b23499754.jpeg

Reactions: HawkAttackDial911
If you have a SUV and utility trailer then why do you need a truck? Not worth the money right now especially new.

My SUV is my baby. It’s a high performance car trapped in a big body. It is not meant for hauling. I take care of it like it was a ‘57 Corvette. It hasn’t seen a speck of dirt in or on it for longer than 24 hours.

Is that ridiculous? Yes. But some things in life are meant to be ridiculous. This is one of them for me.

I get it’s not the best time to buy but money really isn’t an issue (subtle brag, soz).

My SUV is my baby. It’s a high performance car trapped in a big body. It is not meant for hauling. I take care of it like it was a ‘57 Corvette. It hasn’t seen a speck of dirt in or on it for longer than 24 hours.

Is that ridiculous? Yes. But some things in life are meant to be ridiculous. This is one of them for me.

I get it’s not the best time to buy but money really isn’t an issue (subtle brag, soz).
Sorry to hear about your small penis and feelings of inadequacy.

Reactions: LBoogie28
If you have a SUV and utility trailer then why do you need a truck? Not worth the money right now especially new.
This was my thinking for getting my 4runner over a Tacoma. With the seats laid down there a lot of space for stuff or I can use my friend's utility trailer for big/messy hauling. Plus it's nice to have that enclosed space sometimes. I sleep in the back for cold weather and bear country camping.

If it's gotta be a mid-size pickup I'd go Tacoma then Ranger. Heard about too many electrical problems in the Colorados

This was my thinking for getting my 4runner over a Tacoma. With the seats laid down there a lot of space for stuff or I can use my friend's utility trailer for big/messy hauling. Plus it's nice to have that enclosed space sometimes. I sleep in the back for cold weather and bear country camping.

If it's gotta be a mid-size pickup I'd go Tacoma then Ranger. Heard about too many electrical problems in the Colorados
Could always throw a topper on the truck. Built a bed platform for mine. Camped in the rockies quite a bit that way.

I worked at a Chrysler Jeep Dodge-Ram dealership for three years and I would buy a Ram truck in a nanosecond. The pre-owned Lot was filled with Chevy and Ford trucks. There was a reason for that!
2019-Ram-1500%20Crew%20Cab-FrontSide_RA15LL1901_640x480.jpg

This is what I drive the past few years. I was exclusively a Silverado guy, but not anymore. Great vehicle

I recently tested out a Tacoma and Ridgeline.

Ridgeline drives like a car. I think it's on the same platform as a Honda Pilot so that makes sense.

Tacoma drives like a truck. With the Tacoma you sit up higher.

Side note. Almost every person driving a Ridgleline is a 50+ year man.
I bought my Ridgeline in my mid-30s. It is a great family vehicle as long as you don't plan on towing any big travel trailer. Boats and small trailers would be absolutely fine. The cab space is the best of any of the mid-size trucks, the bed capacity is 3/4 of a ton, the bed has 50" width for lay flat so you can get plywood or drywall in flat, hanging over the end of the tailgate, unlike a Taco, the tailgate has the dual-swing functionality which is extremely useful with buying bags of salt, mulch, sand, etc. as you just pick it up and place it in the bed rather than having to reach over the tailgate, and the trunk is extremely handy for groceries or valuables(big enough to fit a body if you needed to).

Can't speak to the reliability of a Ridgeline, but based on his described needs, a pseudo-track fits the bill. I don't see selling my truck for a while, but if I did and could downsize, I'd likely get a Tacoma if I could fit, or a Colorado.
Reliability has been great. Only had it to the dealer for one issue, they had to replace the blower fan for the rear seat HVAC in the first year. Absolutely nothing wrong regarding the drivetrain in almost 50k miles which is exactly what I expected from a Honda. Heck, I'm still on the original tires.

I will say this though, if you don't want this for a daily driver, don't waste your money buying anything made in the last 5 years which would rule out the Ridgeline to me as you don't want the 1st gen. You will way overpay on a pickup that is reasonably new. Find a 10 year old Taco or F150 with < 150k miles on it and you'll be good.

Reactions: Kozisek
A bit off topic, but what is a Rivian?

I'm parked next to one sitting in the Coralridge Mall.

I’m going to finally bite the bullet and buy a truck. First one I’ll ever own in my life. It will be a supplemental vehicle to my daily drivers which are a luxury sedan and SUV - so I don’t need anything fancy. I don’t need it to haul anything bigger than a trailer for something like a riding mower. Need it for weekend warrior trips for home improvement / landscaping, moving kids around at college, pickup up giant TVs at Best Buy, etc. I’m thinking 1/4 ton, maybe a Tacoma. Reliability and function is more important than cost. HORT’s full of truck folk, what say you?
Based on what you stated you do not need a full sized truck as a midsized would do everything you mentioned and more.

We recently bought a midsize for our son and test drove the Ranger, Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado/Canyon, and the Ridgeline. The Ridgeline had the superior ride and the interior was noticeably larger. The Ridgeline had a longer bed than the others and a proven 6 cylinder engine.

I strongly recommend you test drive all of the above and base your selection your experience.

BTW we bought the Honda.

LOL. I've owned a Dodge Ram and was not a fan. In fact, all Chrysler vehicles suck.

Don't overthink this. Buy a Ford F150.
Agree. I have a 2014 F-150 (steel body) w 75,000 and not one issue. Just regular maintenance. Still rides and looks like new.

The new lighter aluminum body resists corrosion, gets better gas mileage, and makes it handle like an SUV. Nothing else can compare to it.

Could always throw a topper on the truck. Built a bed platform for mine. Camped in the rockies quite a bit that way.
True, I've seen nice set ups for both but another selling point for me on the 4R was the roll down back window which I love and they don't have on the taco. Not sure if they still do on tundra but used to. All the toyota trucks are great choices IMO

Reactions: Colonoscopy
I have an '06 Tundra that I hoped would last forever. In the same week that I turned over 100k miles, I got the news that the frame was rusting out. Now I'm in the market for a replacement.
Is there a recall for the frame?

Based on what you stated you do not need a full sized truck as a midsized would do everything you mentioned and more.

We recently bought a midsize for our son and test drove the Ranger, Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado/Canyon, and the Ridgeline. The Ridgeline had the superior ride and the interior was noticeably larger. The Ridgeline had a longer bed than the others and a proven 6 cylinder engine.

I strongly recommend you test drive all of the above and base your selection your experience.

BTW we bought the Honda.

I don’t know why, but the Ridgeline hasn’t even remotely been on my radar. I honestly would have had to think twice before this post if you asked me what the name of Honda’s truck even was. Which is surprising because I’m not a hardcore “buy ‘merica” guy and have spent time looking at the Toyotas. Thinking maybe I should put them on the test drive list after this thread.

I don’t know why, but the Ridgeline hasn’t even remotely been on my radar. I honestly would have had to think twice before this post if you asked me what the name of Honda’s truck even was. Which is surprising because I’m not a hardcore “buy ‘merica” guy and have spent time looking at the Toyotas. Thinking maybe I should put them on the test drive list after this thread.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Yes. They switched steels and moved to a C channel instead of fully boxed frame.

Ok, I know I can look this up on the Google machine…but can you give me the cliff notes? Is this corrosion thing something I should be worried about with a new Toyota? It sounds like it was a mid 2000’s thing, but is it possible it will linger because Toyota is doing something shitty?

Ok, I know I can look this up on the Google machine…but can you give me the cliff notes? Is this corrosion thing something I should be worried about with a new Toyota? It sounds like it was a mid 2000’s thing, but is it possible it will linger because Toyota is doing something shitty?
No, they switched materials and design to avoid the problem.

Box frames can trap water. Couple that with the wrong metallurgy, and that’s what caused the issue. It’s been addressed. I have a 2020 Tundra and I have no concerns.

trailer%20frame%20types.jpg

Reactions: Hawki97

I’m going to finally bite the bullet and buy a truck. First one I’ll ever own in my life. It will be a supplemental vehicle to my daily drivers which are a luxury sedan and SUV - so I don’t need anything fancy. I don’t need it to haul anything bigger than a trailer for something like a riding mower. Need it for weekend warrior trips for home improvement / landscaping, moving kids around at college, pickup up giant TVs at Best Buy, etc. I’m thinking 1/4 ton, maybe a Tacoma. Reliability and function is more important than cost. HORT’s full of truck folk, what say you?
Tonka

If you were a big buy ‘merica guy, the Ridgeline is the most American made truck on the market and the eighth most American made vehicle.

I love my Ridgeline, but for your use case I’m not sure I’d recommend it unless you can find one of the 2nd generation models used. Your use case doesn’t not scream buying a new vehicle to me. If you decided to trade in one of the daily drivers then I’d say give it a hard look.

I recently tested out a Tacoma and Ridgeline.

Ridgeline drives like a car. I think it's on the same platform as a Honda Pilot so that makes sense.

Tacoma drives like a truck. With the Tacoma you sit up higher.

Side note. Almost every person driving a Ridgleline is a 50+ year man.

I'm 33 and I'll probably have a Ridgeline sometime in the next 6 months 😆. Great truck that is criminally underrated.

Reactions: Pete Malloy
This would be my answer. If you already have an SUV that will tow 3500+ lbs a small flatbed or box trailer will do everything you want for very little cost.
Same answer. You don’t need a truck. You want one. Did you all ready buy the truck nuts and feel obligated to buy a truck?

ADVERTISEMENT