ADVERTISEMENT

Which truck should I buy?

If you were a big buy ‘merica guy, the Ridgeline is the most American made truck on the market and the eighth most American made vehicle.

I love my Ridgeline, but for your use case I’m not sure I’d recommend it unless you can find one of the 2nd generation models used. Your use case doesn’t not scream buying a new vehicle to me. If you decided to trade in one of the daily drivers then I’d say give it a hard look.

That was a good read.

If you don’t haul trailers/boats/extremely heavy loads regularly or at all. I would seriously consider the Ridgeline or Colorado.

80% of people that have actual trucks don’t use them for truck things. But for suburban weekend warriors, a vehicle like the Ridgeline is perfect

Reactions: Kozisek
Go test drive them and buy what you like the best. Seriously, they are all good trucks. I have a 2017 Colorado Diesel and love it. Averages 25 mpg for all my driving. But if you do decide on a Tacoma don't make everyone who doesnt have one want to punch you by calling it a Taco. I can't think of many things more lame then a bunch of dudes referring to their truck as a Taco.

Go test drive them and buy what you like the best. Seriously, they are all good trucks. I have a 2017 Colorado Diesel and love it. Averages 25 mpg for all my driving. But if you do decide on a Tacoma don't make everyone who doesnt have one want to punch you by calling it a Taco. I can't think of many things more lame then a bunch of dudes referring to their truck as a Taco.

I've never heard anyone refer to it as "Taco" until I read this thread. I agree, I'm already annoyed by such use.

Reactions: SiouxCityHawkFan
Same answer. You don’t need a truck. You want one. Did you all ready buy the truck nuts and feel obligated to buy a truck?

I never said I needed one in that my life wouldn’t be complete without it, it's definitely a want. My entire automotive live has been more want than need. I love vehicles and spend too much on them but oh well...that's why I work(ed) hard.

No nuts yet. But man oh man, as a first time truck owner - I can't wait! Do you have a recommendation for a pair?

Last edited:

I had never heard someone use the term Taco until I started poking around at trucks. Took me a second and then I was like - “Oh shit, this is like some Jeep thing isn’t it?” Eye roll.

Whichever truck can best show off the trailer hitch balls you’re eagerly waiting to show off!

Surprised so many truck owners do gender conversion on their trucks. Doesn't seem to match up with the beliefs I associate with their bumper and window stickers.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Surprised so many truck owners do gender conversion on their trucks. Doesn't seem to match up with the beliefs I associate with their bumper and window stickers.

The numerous instances of ball talk in this thread has me wondering - could I get a vagina to hang off mine? Ya know, to be different?

• Love
Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Yes. They switched steels and moved to a C channel instead of fully boxed frame.

They also stopped buying their frames from Dana Corp., the American manufacturer that built almost all of the frames that rotted away so quickly. 🙂

I’m going to finally bite the bullet and buy a truck. First one I’ll ever own in my life. It will be a supplemental vehicle to my daily drivers which are a luxury sedan and SUV - so I don’t need anything fancy. I don’t need it to haul anything bigger than a trailer for something like a riding mower. Need it for weekend warrior trips for home improvement / landscaping, moving kids around at college, pickup up giant TVs at Best Buy, etc. I’m thinking 1/4 ton, maybe a Tacoma. Reliability and function is more important than cost. HORT’s full of truck folk, what say you?
Just rent one. It’s like $50. Trucks are overpriced as all hell. Unless you need one daily, they’re a horrible use of money.

Reactions: Slappy Pappy
BHEIBBa.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: desihawk
I bought a (unicorn) 2000 S10 for my truck needs a couple years ago. Rust free, V6...been near trouble free for me. $5k, put $1k into it for a modern stereo, bed liner, etc.

I truly need a truck maybe 5 times a year. I couldn't justify getting rid of my SUV nor sedan (which are glorious to drive) for a modern truck as a daily driver that would cost me 5x if not (a lot) more to in effect provide me those 5 times of true need.

The thing I hate most about modern trucks is the size. They're monstrous. I also personally think they're hideous looking. So, rolling everything together, it just didn't make sense.

True. I paid the same for my NEW Frontier as IC Toyota wanted for a 3 year old 40K, less equipped Tacoma...
And your frontier probably has a 5 year, 60k warranty whereas the Toyota is probably 3 year, 36k.

Toyota makes good trucks, but I think their popularity is a bit skewed from the 80’s and 90’s where their trucks lasted far longer than everything else. Nowadays pretty much everybody makes a reliable truck. Yeah, Toyota probably has an edge for longevity, but is it worth paying the premium if there’s another truck you like better?

And your frontier probably has a 5 year, 60k warranty whereas the Toyota is probably 3 year, 36k.

Toyota makes good trucks, but I think their popularity is a bit skewed from the 80’s and 90’s where their trucks lasted far longer than everything else. Nowadays pretty much everybody makes a reliable truck. Yeah, Toyota probably has an edge for longevity, but is it worth paying the premium if there’s another truck you like better?
Before the current gen Tundra, the 3UZ and six speed was unkillable. The Tacoma has a mediocre automatic transmission performance-wise, but paired with the Camry V6, it’s still bulletproof.

Before the current gen Tundra, the 3UZ and six speed was unkillable. The Tacoma has a mediocre automatic transmission performance-wise, but paired with the Camry V6, it’s still bulletproof.
I don’t buy “unkillable” or “bulletproof” at all. I’m aware of a 2016ish Tundra that needed a transmission rebuild under 100k. Good, reliable trucks, yes. But problems aren’t unheard of for the Tundra or Tacoma.

Hopefully you set aside $10k to help with Biden gas prices. It’s only up from here, and “the most common gas price in America” won’t help you out.

@Hawki97 you get a truck yet? How's the search going? I've had a Ridgeline for about a month now and love it. Let us know what you've been up to with the search

I test drove a new Tundra and a Tacoma so far. I am planning on test driving a Ridgeline and Frontier before making a decisions but got side-tracked. I think I preferred the Tacoma over the Tundra. Just don't need that big of a vehicle and it felt like it on the road. Really interested how the others two feel.

Reactions: BelemNole
I test drove a new Tundra and a Tacoma so far. I am planning on test driving a Ridgeline and Frontier before making a decisions but got side-tracked. I think I preferred the Tacoma over the Tundra. Just don't need that big of a vehicle and it felt like it on the road. Really interested how the others two feel.

Couple things to consider.... If they will let you take it onto a non-paved road, try it. When / if you load the bed, it will drive differently. When I am unloaded, my truck feels much more "bouncy" or rough as they try to get the suspension set for some mid-weight load. Just keep that in mind, in the lighter duty trucks it's less noticeable.

Couple things to consider.... If they will let you take it onto a non-paved road, try it. When / if you load the bed, it will drive differently. When I am unloaded, my truck feels much more "bouncy" or rough as they try to get the suspension set for some mid-weight load. Just keep that in mind, in the lighter duty trucks it's less noticeable.

I’ve actually thought of this exact thing. Would love to put some weight in the back and drive around to see how it rides with a full bed. Wonder if they’ll let me throw some sand bags in the back!

I’ve actually thought of this exact thing. Would love to put some weight in the back and drive around to see how it rides with a full bed. Wonder if they’ll let me throw some sand bags in the back!
Did you buy a truck?

ADVERTISEMENT