ADVERTISEMENT

Which truck should I buy?

I test drove a new Tundra and a Tacoma so far. I am planning on test driving a Ridgeline and Frontier before making a decisions but got side-tracked. I think I preferred the Tacoma over the Tundra. Just don't need that big of a vehicle and it felt like it on the road. Really interested how the others two feel.
Test drive the F-150. The aluminum body makes it handle like an SUV.

I’m going to finally bite the bullet and buy a truck. First one I’ll ever own in my life. It will be a supplemental vehicle to my daily drivers which are a luxury sedan and SUV - so I don’t need anything fancy. I don’t need it to haul anything bigger than a trailer for something like a riding mower. Need it for weekend warrior trips for home improvement / landscaping, moving kids around at college, pickup up giant TVs at Best Buy, etc. I’m thinking 1/4 ton, maybe a Tacoma. Reliability and function is more important than cost. HORT’s full of truck folk, what say you?
Toyota is the only correct answer.

Reactions: QChawks
Test drive the F-150. The aluminum body makes it handle like an SUV.
Does the F-150 basically feel like you're driving an Expedition? If so, I would go with that. We had one for a rental last summer and it was a fantastic driving experience.

Does the F-150 basically feel like you're driving an Expedition? If so, I would go with that. We had one for a rental last summer and it was a fantastic driving experience.
The Expedition is still has a steel body, so I’m thinking the F-150 is even more nimble.

Last edited:
I guess I was talking more about the cockpit, seats, etc., although the Expedition drove "smaller" than I would have anticipated.
I haven’t been in an Expedition in years, but I still love my F-150 and it’s the last steel body year, 2014. Still looks and drives like a new vehicle. A buddy commented how quiet it was when we mad a run to the hardware store last week.

I test drove a new Tundra and a Tacoma so far. I am planning on test driving a Ridgeline and Frontier before making a decisions but got side-tracked. I think I preferred the Tacoma over the Tundra. Just don't need that big of a vehicle and it felt like it on the road. Really interested how the others two feel.

I think you'll like the Ridgeline size wise. Slightly bigger than Tacoma and frontier but still def a small truck. And it feels much bigger on the inside than it actually is. Keep us posted on your progress. Lol I may be the only one but I'm interested

I think you'll like the Ridgeline size wise. Slightly bigger than Tacoma and frontier but still def a small truck. And it feels much bigger on the inside than it actually is. Keep us posted on your progress. Lol I may be the only one but I'm interested
I would rule out the Ridgeline on one critical failing alone: the lack of an armrest/center console. The new Pilots, Ridgelines, etc. all have that puny fold down arm rest that is on the Odyssey. I am familiar with it since we had an Odyssey. It is made for women's frames, not broad shouldered HORTers, and it will drive you nuts on long trips.

2022-honda-ridgeline-seats.jpg

I would rule out the Ridgeline on one critical failing alone: the lack of an armrest/center console. The new Pilots, Ridgelines, etc. all have that puny fold down arm rest that is on the Odyssey. I am familiar with it since we had an Odyssey. It is made for women's frames, not broad shouldered HORTers, and it will drive you nuts on long trips.

You'd never find that type of adjustable armrest in a real truck would you?
44SS0422-2.jpg

Our FJ has a fold down arm rest. It's great. Can adjust it to just the right height.

Our FJ has a fold down arm rest. It's great. Can adjust it to just the right height.
Sounds like a better version than what was in our Odyssey, but I will say that the issue isn't the height, it is the width. My shoulders are wide enough so that my arm misses the skinny armrests attached to the seats, but my arm fits comfortably on a center console armrest.

Our padded console folds up into a 6th seat. We dont use it often, but it’s been a lifesaver on RAGBRAI and a couple other occasions where it saved taking a second vehicle.

So you were all over the place. Had I known you were looking for a mini-truck I would have suggested the Tacoma over the Ranger, Colorado, and Maverick.

So you were all over the place. Had I known you were looking for a mini-truck I would have suggested the Tacoma over the Ranger, Colorado, and Maverick.

I’m always all over the place when buying cars. I love the process of buying a new one. The research, the test drives, the negotiating, the renegotiating…the whole thing. Very enjoyable.

Edit to add: I actually had a Ranger for a weekend - what a piece of crap.

ADVERTISEMENT