ADVERTISEMENT

Which would you rather have happen?

Suterman

HR Legend
Nov 13, 2003
After watching the Cyclones lose I had a bad thought.
Would you rather the Hawkeyes had played their opener against UNI and lost 31-14 at home? Or not played at all. I would always rather play but jeez that was a tough loss for the Cyclones.

Reactions: millah_22
Iowa wouldn’t lose to UNI 31-14, let alone lose. Enjoy the # 23 team getting worked at home by the Cajuns. That was a beautiful game plan by Louisiana compared to the same crap Campbell tries to do each week.
Maybe. But remember we needed 2 blocked field goals in the waning seconds to beat UNI in 2009. I agree withe the Ragin' Cajun defensive plan. It was brilliant.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Would you rather the Hawkeyes had played their opener against UNI and lost 31-14 at home? Or not played at all. I would always rather play but jeez that was a tough loss for the Cyclones.
Again.....can't lose if you don't play.

If I was a Cyclone fan, I think I would wish that the season started next week, not this week.
I took your OP to mean not play the entire season. Otherwise, anyone would want to expunge an ugly opening loss from their team's record.

Iowa wouldn’t lose to UNI 31-14, let alone lose. Enjoy the # 23 team getting worked at home by the Cajuns. That was a beautiful game plan by Louisiana compared to the same crap Campbell tries to do each week.
This in spades. Iowa may occasionally struggle against a lesser team, but seriously, when was the last time they ever got worked over by one? Not happening......

Reactions: GRT2B1
Maybe. But remember we needed 2 blocked field goals in the waning seconds to beat UNI in 2009. I agree withe the Ragin' Cajun defensive plan. It was brilliant.
Needing a last second play to win, is hardly the same thing as getting manhandled by a team that had NEVER won a road game against a ranked team. If you watch much college football or basketball for that matter sometimes a much superior team doesn't play well, and has to survive one of these, and thats what Iowa did against UNI. Todays ISwho game, not so much survival as being embaressed.....

Considering I'm a fan and the win or loss has no affect on my actual life, I'd rather they play and lose. I'm willing to bet almost all of the Hawkeyes would exchange situations with the ISU players (playing vs. not playing).

Reactions: Suterman
I can offer an opinion on that. First, you can't equate Louisiana with UNI, and that isn't a knock on UNI.

It was a VERY tough loss. I'm glad I wasn't allowed to attend.

Now......would I prefer the game hadn't been played? No.

Reactions: Suterman
I want Iowa to play but here's the difference.

I am confident in saying that Iowa would not give up 28 points to UNI this way:

* 14 points on Special Teams: The Ragin' Cajuns had TWO return TDs (one was a kickoff return for TD; the other was a punt return for TD).

* 7 points on Poor Pass Coverage: The Clown D was not to be outdone by the Special Teams unit & gave up a 78 yd TD pass.

* 7 points on a Defense that was Tired & Quit at the End: And speaking of the Clown D, with 15 seconds to go in the game and up 24-14, the Ragin' Cajuns went for it on 4th and 1 from the Clown 2 yd line, scoring, to make the final 31-14.

Watch the Wonderful Highlights:

Last edited:
Serious question - are you an Iowa native now living in Oklahoma? What's behind the "SoonerBeAHawk"?
Yes.

Just kinda saying I still prefer to be a Hawk even though living in Sooner country. Clearly a no-brainer choice for ardent Hawk fans. OU puts a very good and exciting product on the field ever year, but I scarcely pay attention.

I can offer an opinion on that. First, you can't equate Louisiana with UNI, and that isn't a knock on UNI.

It was a VERY tough loss. I'm glad I wasn't allowed to attend.

Now......would I prefer the game hadn't been played? No.

Yeah, Louisiana seems to be pretty solid. Their offense didn't do much but, surprisingly, neither did yours. I am really trying to be non-biased here as a Hawk but I thought Purdy was pretty inaccurate, had very poor pocket presence, and had poor decison making. Your WR/TE's had chances to make some grabs and failed too. One WR had 4 catches on 11 targets at one point. Not great.

Running game was solid, defense was good. Especially run defense.

False choice.

Reactions: FanOHawk
Comes down to QB play for Iowa State. They’re leaning on him to make some plays. That position was terrible today.

Who is the 2nd string QB for isu that will take over half way through the season?

Comes down to QB play for Iowa State. They’re leaning on him to make some plays. That position was terrible today.

Nope. 2 special teams returns for TDs by a lower division team. Big time programs just don't let that happen. Teams with balls. That put ISMoo is a big hole.

That said, yeah Purdy is the latest in a long line of overrated clown QBs...and coaches for that matter.

That game is why preseason rankings mean zero. Nice UL gets to say they beat ranked team but they were #23 in name only. Their program is such shit historically that they have become the media's darlings because if you pick them to be good and they are you come out looking smart.....problem is they always flop. Was shocked to see them ranked with that OL situation, lazy pick

i am an iowa fan but not a big iowa state hater so i watched some of the game. what a strange game--football without fans is not the same, lacks a lot of the excitement and passion. it seems so contrived that i dont have much interest in watching any more college football this fall. never thought i would say this but i have found other things to do rather than follow college football. also, we have had months of controversy regarding iowa football starting with the racial issues through the should we play or not- i have grown tired of it and dont come to this site much anymore. looking forward to 2021 when things might be back to normal.

Yeah, Louisiana seems to be pretty solid. Their offense didn't do much but, surprisingly, neither did yours. I am really trying to be non-biased here as a Hawk but I thought Purdy was pretty inaccurate, had very poor pocket presence, and had poor decison making. Your WR/TE's had chances to make some grabs and failed too. One WR had 4 catches on 11 targets at one point. Not great.

Running game was solid, defense was good. Especially run defense.
Defense was good enough to win. Purdy may have had his worst game as a Cyclone. OL is still a huge problem. Receivers dropped balls. And the special team play was incredibly poor. The team looked entirely unready to play. Unfortunately, that's become the September standard under Campbell. I don't understand it.

LC - objectively I agree with your points. If I was an ISU fan I would be concerned with MC for the following reasons. He preaches winning in the margins which is a lot on coaching. Being disciplined. And they just haven’t been. I was also told he was good at developing the OL. That has been an unmitigated disaster for them. And the special teams continue to be atrocious. Last, they seem to come out flat in a lot of games. I do think their D will keep them in games and missing Kolar hurt. But while Purdy had a bad game I would be more concerned with Campbell. Tough loss but at least you got to play. And Purdy seems like a good kid and I ripped him yesterday mainly in response to the Heisman hype, best QB either Iowa or ISU has ever had, etc. but he will bounce back. Honestly, the Big 12 overall looks to be down this year which will help.

Defense was good enough to win. Purdy may have had his worst game as a Cyclone. OL is still a huge problem. Receivers dropped balls. And the special team play was incredibly poor. The team looked entirely unready to play. Unfortunately, that's become the September standard under Campbell. I don't understand it.

giphy.gif

Been drinking again?
What about my quote is ridiculous? We needed to block 2 field goal attempts by UNI in the waning seconds to beat them, and the Ragin' Cajuns had a great plan to defend the Cyclones. I completely stand by both of those statements. Why am I wrong?

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Play and lose
This in spades. Iowa may occasionally struggle against a lesser team, but seriously, when was the last time they ever got worked over by one? Not happening......
September 17, 2016 comes to mind.
i am an iowa fan but not a big iowa state hater so i watched some of the game. what a strange game--football without fans is not the same, lacks a lot of the excitement and passion. it seems so contrived that i dont have much interest in watching any more college football this fall. never thought i would say this but i have found other things to do rather than follow college football. also, we have had months of controversy regarding iowa football starting with the racial issues through the should we play or not- i have grown tired of it and dont come to this site much anymore. looking forward to 2021 when things might be back to normal.
I can relate. I'm in the stage of life where time for investment in sports is at its lowest anyway. I watched a tiny bit of NFL and honestly didn't notice much (it's almost completely soulless anyway). But with the Hawks not playing, racial campaigning, and all of the sports world (broadcasts, forums, radio) steeped in politics now, I've never been less interested in college football. Even if Iowa plays it will be tainted by all this mess.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT