ADVERTISEMENT

Whiskey

BV and Coke in a styrofoam cup at the golf course or tailgate

Four Roses/Bulliet/Buffalo Trace etc at home. I’ll often go with the blackberry brandy on the rocks by the fireplace

Reactions: SpyderHawk
Black Velvet is definitely smooth but the headaches and drawdown from it are rough.

There was never anything more merciful in my drinking career than waking up on a Sunday with just enough BV in the freezer to calm the nerves enough to walk to Walgreen or K&G for some beverages to go with my brunch.

Reactions: SpyderHawk
I'm a bourbon guy. There are two types; wheated and high rye. Bourbon has to have at least 51% corn. The rest is comprised of barley and either wheat or rye. Those with wheat are lighter tasting than the spicy taste of those with rye. If you're just getting started, I'd go with the wheated. As you progress, you'll learn to enjoy the bite of the high ryes. I have as much rye whiskey in my cabinet as I do bourbon.

Here is a list of mash bills to help you choose. https://modernthirst.com/home/bourbon-whiskey-mash-bills/

Scotch - Glenmorangie 18 & Signet
Bourbon - Bulleit 10 (Old-Fashioned) or Blanton’s if I can find it.

Last edited:
Glenfiddich 12 is a really good mid grade.

Glenfiddich Barrel Reserve 14 is a good higher grade.

And yes, I'm partial to Speyside and Glenfiddich in particular.

“I'll have a scotch on the rocks, please. Any scotch will do, as long as it's not a blend, of course. Single malt, Glen Livet, Glen Galley, perhaps, any Glen.”

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
Was this at Iowa or NU? I was a GDI at Iowa and rather than "hazing" that was how you got 21 y.o.'s to buy you booze (prove you were cool). Not really but kind of.
It was at NU. As part of a brotherhood night while I was a pledge, I had to participate in a quiz bowl game with questions about our pledge manual. It pitted brothers against pledges. Unsurprisingly, the deck was stacked. The brothers got questions with a difficulty level of "recite the ABCs." The pledges got questions like, "What are the brand name and model number of the mainframe computer at national headquarters?" (That was an actual example; the information was buried in tiny print in a footnote at the back of the manual.) If you missed a question, you had to do a shot of Jack. It got ugly.

Reactions: ConvenientParking
I’ve been moving away from vodka and into whiskey and I need an education.

What’s a good budget brand?

What’s a good premium brand?

Knob Creek (budget) and Knob Creek Single Barrel (premium) are my go to. I think it should be yours too...just based on what I know about you from here. Just fits for some reason. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: naturalmwa
Honestly if you’re looking to stay around the $30 range Cedar Ridge is pretty good. I assume you have/had their bourbon. Give me that over most of the similarly priced bourbons any day.

I haven’t had a chance to try their scotch or rye yet, but it’s on my list.
All of their whiskey's are de-lish. Although I haven't tried the wheat. They made a blend for Slipknot - their music sucks but the whiskey is awesome. They can't keep it on the shelves.

Reactions: ferentzin04
Black Velvet for cocktails. It's hard to beat a real BV Sour. (Not just BV and squirt). Great social drink that everyone enjoys. Does well mixing by the pitcher too.

JD for sipping and shots.

If I'm feeling like a BV Sour and they do not have sour mix....I'll usually take a Jack and water.

I’ve been moving away from vodka and into whiskey and I need an education.

What’s a good budget brand?

What’s a good premium brand?
If you like scotch of the Smokey/Peaty variety McClelland’s is a cheaper alternative to Laphroaig. Got it at Winn Dixie. Single Malt.

Naked Grouse is a good blended scotch and on the cheap side

Reactions: naturalmwa
It was at NU. As part of a brotherhood night while I was a pledge, I had to participate in a quiz bowl game with questions about our pledge manual. It pitted brothers against pledges. Unsurprisingly, the deck was stacked. The brothers got questions with a difficulty level of "recite the ABCs." The pledges got questions like, "What are the brand name and model number of the mainframe computer at national headquarters?" (That was an actual example; the information was buried in tiny print in a footnote at the back of the manual.) If you missed a question, you had to do a shot of Jack. It got ugly.
That's way smarter than outright verbal peer pressure. NU earns its reputation.

Reactions: torbee
Where are you guys finding Woodford Reserve for $30 or less? Here in PA it's over $40, and I'm not talking about Double Oaked ($55).

Reactions: artradley
I have actually never tried Black Velvet.

My regular go-to is Beam. I like it on rocks or with a mixer. I would argue it is the best bourbon for its price out there. I’ll drink Evan Williams, but mostly with a mixer. Crown is a little too sweet for me. And I loathe Jack Daniels. I would turn down a free one.
I use to drink Beam, I like Jameson on the rocks these days. One that surprised me that I use for old fashions is Old Forester. A local restaurant was using it as it's house whiskey and I really enjoy it so I keep a bottle of that on hand. Tin Cup is another that is surprisingly smooth. Both should be under $30, Tin Cup a little more than Old Forester. If you get up to Galena go to the distillery and get a bottle or two of their whiskeys, they are all good in my opinion. Blaum Brothers.

https://www.blaumbros.com/

86.jpg

tincup-american-whiskey__88644.1496358676_1024x1024.jpg

Russell’s Reserve 10yr for $35 is just about the best bang for your buck and findable bourbon on the market right now.
Eagle Rare is better at the same price or just A bit more, but finding any Buffalo Trace products right now is a minor miracle.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
I have been making an Irish Mule with Jameson. We ran out of Jameson and used Bulleit Bourbon. I actually liked that a little more. My son in law drinks bus whiskey neat. I bought him a bottle of Jefferson’s aged at Sea. He thought it was really good

Honestly if you’re looking to stay around the $30 range Cedar Ridge is pretty good. I assume you have/had their bourbon. Give me that over most of the similarly priced bourbons any day.

I haven’t had a chance to try their scotch or rye yet, but it’s on my list.
When I think Whiskey or Whisky, last thing I think is Swisher, Iowa. I once bought vodka from Cedar Ridge. It tasted like ass. Their pizza is ok but come on, that crap cannot and should not compete on the world market. That's laughable.

When I think Whiskey or Whisky, last thing I think is Swisher, Iowa. I once bought vodka from Cedar Ridge. It tasted like ass. Their pizza is ok but come on, that crap cannot and should not compete on the world market. That's laughable.
There vodka does suck, but honestly there whiskey is pretty good.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Glenfiddich 12 is a really good mid grade.

Glenfiddich Barrel Reserve 14 is a good higher grade.

And yes, I'm partial to Speyside and Glenfiddich in particular.
Nobody asked about scotch. Weirdo. Bourbon, my most patriotic vice.

Black Velvet is the Busch Light of Iowa drinking.
Crown Royal comes in the velvet bags that a creative guy like you could turn into some kind of sex toy... :)
0643ed86d45a57b995f97a716d135bd2.jpg
tumblr_ny89oekBHr1qdpj5so1_1280.png
I had to laugh. I recall on one of Comedy Central's Roasts, maybe Lampinelli, ripping Adam Corolla and his hairy Crown Royal sack.

Good call on Crown Royal bags. I once found one of my mom’s sex toys inside a crown royal bag. They are good for that. Pretty sure I should have gone to therapy after that. I also find Crown Royal to be especially pleasing.

CSB
A cop on Alaska State Troopers said about 75 percent of the time he sees an “empty” Crown Royal bag in a vehicle, boat, tackle box, etc. it has weed stored in it.

Reactions: GOHOX69
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT