ADVERTISEMENT

Whiskey

Jefferson is okay, but there are some special selections that are spectacular.

I usually pour this Jefferson with a splash of GM100.

4NhgMN9.jpg

Reactions: mnole03
I use to drink Beam, I like Jameson on the rocks these days. One that surprised me that I use for old fashions is Old Forester. A local restaurant was using it as it's house whiskey and I really enjoy it so I keep a bottle of that on hand. Tin Cup is another that is surprisingly smooth. Both should be under $30, Tin Cup a little more than Old Forester. If you get up to Galena go to the distillery and get a bottle or two of their whiskeys, they are all good in my opinion. Blaum Brothers.

https://www.blaumbros.com/

86.jpg

tincup-american-whiskey__88644.1496358676_1024x1024.jpg

Just bought a bottle of old forester yesterday

I have been on a very low carb diet for about 2 months and have cut out all beer, ale, IPA’s because of the carbs. I’ve been thinking about trying to get interested in whiskey. Do they all have the same abv%? I have drank very little whiskey but I have found I rather just drink it over ice and not mix it. I have found a lot of info here to get me started, thanks

Reactions: naturalmwa
I have been on a very low carb diet for about 2 months and have cut out all beer, ale, IPA’s because of the carbs. I’ve been thinking about trying to get interested in whiskey. Do they all have the same abv%? I have drank very little whiskey but I have found I rather just drink it over ice and not mix it. I have found a lot of info here to get me started, thanks
Proofs vary greatly. They range in my cabinet from around 90 up to 136.

If you're just starting out, I would first try either a Canadian blend or a lower proof wheated bourbon. Those generally don't have the same bite as ryes or high-rye bourbon or the higher proofs. You can work your way into those if you like.

I thought so too. I haven't seen a B520 in any store yet. UPS tracking says it'll be here from San Diego tomorrow. I'll report back.

Excellent.

Despite signature being required it wasn’t. He just left it at the door due to COVID.

Excellent.

Despite signature being required it wasn’t. He just left it at the door due to COVID.
When you live in a small town you get to know the drivers for the various delivery services because they are fairly consistent. If no one is home, he'll take it to my wife's office to get a signature.

Reactions: Nipigu
I thought so too. I haven't seen a B520 in any store yet. UPS tracking says it'll be here from San Diego tomorrow. I'll report back.

I’ll be looking forward to it. COVID has created some tremendous buying opportunities for some rare and exclusive spirit as well as high end wine——if you have the local contract.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I’ve got a rather expansive private bar and I’ve got probably 40+ whiskies or so in it at the moment and maybe 50-60 other liquors and liqueurs.

So for me, I’m going to break the categories into Budget which will be under $25 for 750ml, MidTier which I will say is $25-50 and Premium which I will say is $50-100. I have yet to have any Ultrapremium (over $100 and up to thousands of dollars) that I would recommend to anyone other than millionaires with money to burn because honestly there is no discernible increase in quality over the regular premiums in the $50-100 range. I will say that in whisky/whiskey categories, I have yet to find a budget on par with premiums (although Mellow Corn is close) so you’re usually getting your money’s worth with the best Budgets being on par with the average Midtiers, the best Midtiers being on par with the average Premium and so on. That’s not true of other categories of liquor as I’ve found budget priced options I prefer over most premiums and ultra premiums (Altos platinum for platinum tequilas, Reyka vodka, Gosling Black Seal Rum for black rums, and so on).

So these are my recs:

Bourbons
Budget: Mellow Corn (not technically a bourbon as it’s not aged in new barrels but previously used bourbon barrels but it’s the same mashbill and other requirements of Bourbons and the use of aged barrels means less woody tannins and other flavors which allows the sweet buttery corn flavor to shine through and it’s ridiculously smooth for it’s 100 proof strength). I also strongly recommend Evan Williams “Bottled in Bond” otherwise called White Label and not the standard black label and Wild Turkey 101.
Midtier: Maker’s Mark 46 with Four Roses Single Barrel and Woodford Reserve as runner-ups.
Premium: Bulleit Blender’s Select with Blanton’s Single Barrel and Stagg Jr. as runner’s up.

American Rye
Budget: George Dickel Tennessee Rye
Mid-tier: Redemption Rye, Pikesville Rye, and Basil Hayden Dark Rye
Premium: Wild Buck Rye and Rare Breed Rye Single Barrel

Canadian
Budget: Forty Creek Barrel Select
Mid-Tier: Crown Royal
Premium: Forty Creek Confederation Oak Reserve

Irish
Budget: Bushmill’s Red Bush
Mid-tier: Powers
Premium: Redbreast 12

Japanese
Budget: Suntory Toki
Mid-tier: Akashi Single Malt
Premium: Suntory Hibiki

I’ll come back and do the Scotches when I have more time

Just realized I never came back to do the Scotches.

For me, these are the best Scotches I've found in what I call the Budget (under $25), Midtier ($25-50) and Premium ($50-100ish). So far I have never found an ultrapremium (ie anything much over $100 that I would actually recommend someone buy. I'm usually just as happy with the best Midtier and Premium priced as I am with the ultrapremiums. I will note that while you can get a lot of amazingly good nonScotch whiskies under $25, for Scotch it is difficult to even find something drinkable at that price point so I much prefer stuff like Mellow Corn over Glen Moray. But if you're looking to try something Scotch and cheap look at my budget picks. Because Scotch tends to be older and pricier in general, I fudged a little on the numbers with some Premium picks in the $125 range and some Budget in the $30-32 range.

Speyside Single Malt ie my favorite whisky/whiskey class of any sort even over Bourbons. But I do like some other Highland single malts like Glenmorangie just as much and in fact the Nectar D'Or is my favorite Single Malt Scotch period.
Budget: Glen Moray Classic
Mid-tier: Glenlivet 12 yo (Balvenie 12yo Doublewood was a close #2)
Premium: Glenrothes 15yo

Non-Speyside Highland Single Malt
Budget: Highland Queen Majesty Rum Finish
Mid-tier: Dalwhinnie 15yo (Old Pulteney 12yo is a good #2)
Premium: Glenmorangie 14yo Nectar D'Or

Blended Scotch
Budget: Famous Grouse Ruby Cask
Mid-tier: Johnnie Walker Green Label (Monkey Shoulder is a decent second choice)
Premium: Compass Box Hedonism (Compass Box Spice Tree and Spice Tree Extravaganza are also excellent picks for this price point and much better than the equivalent Johnnie's like Gold and Blue)

Islay Single Malt
Budget: Laphroaig 10yo
Mid-tier: Ardberg Uigeadial (Ardberg An Oa is decent second choice if you can find it for $50 or so)
Premium: Bunnahabhain 18yo

Islands other than Islay Single Malts
Budget: Jura 10yo
Mid-tier: Highland Park 12yo Viking Honor (Talisker Storm is a good smoky second choice)
Premium: Highland Park 18yo Viking Pride

Campbeltown Single Malts
Budget: Glen Scotia Double Cask
Mid-tier: Kilkerran 10yo (the 12yo is even better and can be found occasionally on sale for $60 or so)
Premium: Springbank 13yo

Lowland Single Malts
Budget: Strathcolm 12yo
Mid-tier: Auchentoshan Three Wood
Premium: Glenkinchie Distiller's Edition Amontillado Finish

I will say that I think Campbeltown whiskies in general are overpriced for their quality across the board. So I'm not really a big fan of the category. I absolutely love Speysides, like most Highland and enjoy the Islands other than Islay quite a bit. Islay itself is only for smokers, for on the rocks when you're eating some heavy smoke bbq or jerk and for cocktails that require heavy smoke as a component, but I usually keep 3 or 4 around. Lowland is not particularly good for the price and Cambeltowns I seldom bother purchasing as the category is overpriced for their age and quality.

A good way to start is mix water or soda with your whiskey. That will give you the flavor without most of the bite that scares some people away.

Bourbon and Scotch are whiskies.
But not all whiskies are scotch and bourbon.
Correct, for instance, Tennessee whiskey is neither bourbon nor Scotch. But it is whiskey. And, in the accepted vernacular, whisky is only Scotch, while whiskey can be any of the assorted sub-groups.

Reactions: Nipigu and DFSNOLE
Correct, for instance, Tennessee whiskey is neither bourbon nor Scotch. But it is whiskey. And, in the accepted vernacular, whisky is only Scotch, while whiskey can be any of the assorted sub-groups.

If you’re going to be the grammar police you’ve got to get it straight. It’s only North America and the Irish that use the e in whiskey. Scotland, Wales, England (which is growing, it’s now up to 30 producers), Japan, and the two growing sectors of Indian and New Zealand whiskies all spell it without the extra e. In other words you get Japanese and Indian whisky, but get Irish, Canadian, and Bourbon whiskey.

Sweetness and viscosity.

I’m comparing Buffalo trace to cedar ridge. Cedar ridge is sweeter, thicker with a more rounded mouth feeling. Buffalo trace is more dusty, light and astringent feeling. A bit closer to scotch.

Cedar Ridge has an almost syrupy mouth feel. BT however evaporates almost as soon as it hits the tongue and you feel it in your sinuses.

What am I tasting? Is this an example of different styles of whiskey? Or a different grain or processing technique?

Last edited:
Reactions: mnole03
We bought some Black Velvet to compare. This may be my inexperience showing but it seems like a completely acceptable option. Not as complex, but totally drinkable.

Obviously the Hawkeye loss hit me hard.

• Love
Reactions: ConvenientParking
Sweetness and viscosity.

I’m comparing Buffalo trace to cedar ridge. Cedar ridge is sweeter, thicker with a more rounded mouth feeling. Buffalo trace is more dusty, light and astringent feeling. A bit closer to scotch.

Cedar Ridge has an almost syrupy mouth feel. BT however evaporates almost as soon as it hits the tongue and you feel it in your sinuses.

What am I tasting? Is this an example of different styles of whiskey? Or a different grain or processing technique?
I've never had Cedar Ridge so I can't speak to it at all. BT is the entry level bourbon from the Buffalo Trace distillery. It's 90 proof with a low rye mash bill so it's intended to be "smooth" without a long and strong finish.

We bought some Black Velvet to compare. This may be my inexperience showing but it seems like a completely acceptable option. Not as complex, but totally drinkable.

The reason for this is:

Obviously the Hawkeye loss hit me hard.

Black Velvet and Iowa Football have taken 10+ years from me. Fortunately I get 1 year back for every 2 acid trips so it's almost a wash.

• Love
Reactions: naturalmwa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT