ADVERTISEMENT

Whiskey

naturalmwa

HR King
Feb 4, 2004
I’ve been moving away from vodka and into whiskey and I need an education.

What’s a good budget brand?

What’s a good premium brand?

Also - you'll need to get more specific with your question and after this I'll bow out since I no longer drink and never drank the good stuff anyway (I was always fine with Beam, Jack, BV, Evan Williams, and no stranger to well whiskey). But do you like bourbon, rye, scotch? You mixing cocktails or sipping on liquor (or drinking mouthwash at work, I won't judge)?

I’ve been moving away from vodka and into whiskey and I need an education.

What’s a good budget brand?

What’s a good premium brand?
Black Velvet is the Busch Light of Iowa drinking.
Crown Royal comes in the velvet bags that a creative guy like you could turn into some kind of sex toy... :)
0643ed86d45a57b995f97a716d135bd2.jpg
tumblr_ny89oekBHr1qdpj5so1_1280.png

Last edited:
Also - you'll need to get more specific with your question and after this I'll bow out since I no longer drink and never drank the good stuff anyway (I was always fine with Beam, Jack, BV, Evan Williams, and no stranger to well whiskey). But do you like bourbon, rye, scotch? You mixing cocktails or sipping on liquor (or drinking mouthwash at work, I won't judge)?
I’m drinking it neat. And I don’t know the difference between all the types. I have a bottle of Cedar Ridge now and am enjoying it.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Crown Royal comes in the velvet bags that a creative guy like you could turn into some kind of sex toy... :)
Coolest party craft I think I saw in college that was technically legal was a Goldschlagger bottle converted into a... water pipe for tobacco.

This is not the one but this is a better looking one:

Goldschlager-Water-Pipe..jpg

I too am dipping my toe into this stuff.

If you want another Iowa brand, give Cody Road a try. If you’re a wuss like me, try the maple. Stuff is delicious.

Reactions: naturalmwa
0643ed86d45a57b995f97a716d135bd2.jpg
tumblr_ny89oekBHr1qdpj5so1_1280.png
Good call on Crown Royal bags. I once found one of my mom’s sex toys inside a crown royal bag. They are good for that. Pretty sure I should have gone to therapy after that. I also find Crown Royal to be especially pleasing.

CSB

Good call on Crown Royal bags. I once found one of my mom’s sex toys inside a crown royal bag. They are good for that. Pretty sure I should have gone to therapy after that. I also find Crown Royal to be especially pleasing.

CSB

Those bags are pretty small. I hope it looked like an over filled Santa bag with dildos just sticking out of the top.

Reactions: ping72
Not a definitive list, but will get you started on easy to find bourbons that are available at every decent liquor store. (Asterisks are my pick, but I like and own them all and wouldn't hesitate to drink any below on the list).

20-30$
Evan Williams Single Barrell*
4 roses small batch
Elijah Craig small batch
Knob Creek
Russell Reserve 10yr
Makers Mark
Larceny
Old Grandad 114*
Wild Turkey 101*
Woodford Reserve

40-50$
Makers 46
Knob Creek Single Barrell*
Jefferson Reserve
4 Roses Single Barrell*
Angels Envy

I have had two one night slips since quitting June 2019. On both occasions my second purchase of the evening was Black Velvet because I am who I am.

I would be lying if I said it wasnt my go to whiskey. After that my list looks like yours. Evan Williams, Jack, Beam, Windsor, Jameson, and Crown when on sale.

Reactions: ConvenientParking
I am more of a scotch guy than a bourbon guy, but I drink both.

For scotch, my budget, blended, on-the-rocks regulars are Monkey Shoulder and Famous Grouse (in that order). For premium drinking neat, I prefer the peaty Islay single-malt stuff, so my go-tos are Laphroaig and Ardbeg.

For bourbon, my budget regulars are Evan Williams Black Label and Old Forester 86. For a few extra bucks, I like Woodford Reserve, Michter’s and Buffalo Trace. Eagle Rare is a good choice as well.

Last edited:
Finding Buffalo Trace anymore is like finding the holy grail. Used to be on every shelf a few yrs ago.

That’s how I feel about Weller, Eagle Rare, and Sazerac. It’s because they shifted so much of the stuff into the aged market. Bubbles still gets Buffalo Trace, but I don’t know how long that will last.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
I would be lying if I said it wasnt my go to whiskey. After that my list looks like yours. Evan Williams, Jack, Beam, Windsor, Jameson, and Crown when on sale.
It pairs well with passing out while smoking a cigarette indoors, getting an OWI in someone else's RV, and calling multiple Uber drivers to find your wallet.

I have had two one night slips since quitting June 2019. On both occasions my second purchase of the evening was Black Velvet because I am who I am.
I have actually never tried Black Velvet.

My regular go-to is Beam. I like it on rocks or with a mixer. I would argue it is the best bourbon for its price out there. I’ll drink Evan Williams, but mostly with a mixer. Crown is a little too sweet for me. And I loathe Jack Daniels. I would turn down a free one.

Reactions: cubsMDdmb
I have actually never tried Black Velvet.

My regular go-to is Beam. I like it on rocks or with a mixer. I would argue it is the best bourbon for its price out there. I’ll drink Evan Williams, but mostly with a mixer. Crown is a little too sweet for me. And I loathe Jack Daniels. I would turn down a free one.

To me Beam was for celebration. Thanksgiving, Christmas, bonus paycheck, big colder weather Iowa game.

Reactions: torbee
And I loathe Jack Daniels. I would turn down a free one.
Ditto. I did double-digit shots of Jack over about an hour or two during a fraternity hazing event my freshman year. That, um, did not turn out well. The mere smell of Jack turns my stomach to this day.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Ditto. I did double-digit shots of Jack over about an hour or two during a fraternity hazing event my freshman year. That, um, did not turn out well. The mere smell of Jack turns my stomach to this day.
I had a cheap fraternity.

Was this at Iowa or NU? I was a GDI at Iowa and rather than "hazing" that was how you got 21 y.o.'s to buy you booze (prove you were cool). Not really but kind of.

Reactions: Always a Hawkeye
Honestly if you’re looking to stay around the $30 range Cedar Ridge is pretty good. I assume you have/had their bourbon. Give me that over most of the similarly priced bourbons any day.

I haven’t had a chance to try their scotch or rye yet, but it’s on my list.

ADVERTISEMENT