ADVERTISEMENT

White elephant gifts - $20 limit

PerkyForHerky

HB Heisman
May 7, 2012
Coming up to that time. Any good ideas on white elephant gifts? It's usually one of my more enjoyable times with the in-laws. Generally around a $20 limit and the items are handed around, so you don't know who it is that will get your gift. I generally plan the gift that I and my wife put in to the pot, since I enjoy it so much. The thing is, it is agreed that whichever item you receive has to be displayed in your home/work for the next year, in a prominent spot. Can't be hidden in a corner or behind anything.

Her family is rural/farming based, definitely lean R but definitely not Trump fans. Thinking about purchasing a signed Trump photo and putting it in a frame.

Thought about doing the same with a Kaepernick picture.

There's also easier things, such as this
51NZaJZpwDL._SY382_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Got any fun recommendations that are around $20?

Go to Home Depot/Lowes/CVS or wherever and get about 20-30 gift cards and only put $20 on one of them. You can do a variety or all the same vendor (might have to visit more than 1 store for the latter).

Coming up to that time. Any good ideas on white elephant gifts? It's usually one of my more enjoyable times with the in-laws. Generally around a $20 limit and the items are handed around, so you don't know who it is that will get your gift. I generally plan the gift that I and my wife put in to the pot, since I enjoy it so much. The thing is, it is agreed that whichever item you receive has to be displayed in your home/work for the next year, in a prominent spot. Can't be hidden in a corner or behind anything.

Her family is rural/farming based, definitely lean R but definitely not Trump fans. Thinking about purchasing a signed Trump photo and putting it in a frame.

I like all of your ideas.

Get a tandem set of these for the coffee table
1565288622-49589435_000_b.jpg

61G0lKWsrVL._SL500_.jpg

Go to Home Depot/Lowes/CVS or wherever and get about 20-30 gift cards and only put $20 on one of them. You can do a variety or all the same vendor (might have to visit more than 1 store for the latter).
That's similar to what I did last year, but maybe a bit nicer. It took 2 years to have enough gift cards but I had amassed a dozen gift cards with balances between I think it was 29 cents and $3.71 to Foot Locker, CVS, etc.

Reactions: coloradonoles
Our family does a $25 grab bag with a game to decide who picks first and you can steal gifts.

I often have a box of random items and more than once tossed in a six pack of beer and only included 4 or 5 to stay within spending limit. I included the empty bottles.

Reactions: PerkyForHerky
Our family does a $25 grab bag with a game to decide who picks first and you can steal gifts.

I often have a box of random items and more than once tossed in a six pack of beer and only included 4 or 5 to stay within spending limit. I included the empty bottles.

I played some grab ass with OP's Mom last night.

My uncle used to work at the Quaker Oats plant in CR and would always bring a giant box of cereal to the family white elephant Christmas. Every single year without fail my little cousin would get tricked by the big box and go for it, only to be left crying with like 15 boxes of cereal/oatmeal.

Reactions: hawkbirch
I put one of these in the gift exchange game with a regional group of accountants/financial advisers that I meet with periodically; it was by far the most popular gift to "steal."

s-l1000.jpg

I bought it at Spencers for around twenty bucks & filled it with some Fireball.

For one we do with cousin's in wife's family, last year I put together a little basket with a 40 of Old E, bottle of Boone's and bottle of Mad Dog.

This may not work for a display, but it's always my go to recommendation.

3 gallon containers of nacho cheese from Sam's Club. Costs about 7 per gallon. That's like 20 pounds of nacho cheese for $21.

Reactions: PerkyForHerky
A couple I've given in the past include a blow dart gun, nunchucks, and Nerf guns. They were fought over by coworkers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT