ADVERTISEMENT

White House plans to declare monkeypox a public health emergency, as cases top 6,600 nationwide

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006

EQCA22_MP_ActivityRisk_SM_v3-768x768.png

Health emergency.... Will they ban sex outside marriage? I mean, if you want to take this thing seriously.

Joking.....kind of

Is it really an awful thing to suggest that gay men limit their sex partners for awhile?

Yikes and what I’ve read is this is bad for kids…probably need to start taking it seriously…it can be transferred via saliva I read….so say it don’t spray it I guess?

sort of reminds me of COVID when they told us it was droplets

....Cuz "straight people" cannot spread this, Amirite?

On NPR today they said WHO data indicates 99 percent of pox victims are men, and 98 percent of that group are men who have sex with men.

We can deal with this as it really is, or we can tiptoe around the issue to avoid stigmatizing anyone.

Reactions: SA_Hawk
On NPR today they said WHO data indicates 99 percent of pox victims are men, and 98 percent of that group are men who have sex with men.

We can deal with this as it really is, or we can tiptoe around the issue to avoid stigmatizing anyone.

A report in Illinois just listed a daycare worker has being diagnosed.
Who had contact with children.

Will only the "gay children" get sick now?

A report in Illinois just listed a daycare worker has being diagnosed.
Who had contact with children.

Will only the "gay children" get sick now?

If the gays would keep it in their pants for a few weeks, maybe it won't spill into the general population?

C'mon, gays.... we're all counting on you.

Many public health officials have instead emphasized that anyone can get monkeypox, a message LGBTQ+ health journalist Benjamin Ryan called in the Washington Post “so egregiously misleading it amounts to misinformation.” While it’s technically true that anyone can get monkeypox, some people are at highly elevated risk — and they deserve to know that.

In New York, as the city’s monkeypox outbreak spiraled out of control, the medical professionals who worked there fought over whether to advise people to avoid anonymous sexual encounters to reduce the risk of the disease. Instead, in an effort to avoid stigma against gay and bisexual men, the city’s public health department put out advice to cover sores and avoid kissing if having sex while sick with monkeypox. As some doctors within the department argued, that’s not medically sound advice.

The shadow of the abysmal public health response to HIV looms over any effort to give advice about another epidemic that seems at this point to be primarily spreading among gay and bisexual men.

But the way to avoid the mistakes of HIV isn’t to say nothing, or give subpar medical advice to influence public opinion. It’s to move mountains to make vaccines available, while speaking clearly and plainly about which populations are at elevated risk and advising sick people to avoid high-risk activities.

The WHO, at the very least, seems to be learning its lesson — last week WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus urged men who have sex with men to at least temporarily consider reducing their number of partners to protect themselves and limit further monkeypox spread.

During Covid, we tried the approach where public health officials tell partial truths and limit information in an attempt to reduce stigma or get better behavior from the public. What we learned was that it doesn’t work. People don’t like being manipulated, and they look to non-official sources if they think official forces aren’t telling it straight.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT