ADVERTISEMENT

White House to cancel up to $20,000 in debt relief for Pell Grant recipients

Fa7-7-GXoAEbYnu
This. Rs had 4 years to do something about this. Instead they decided to put everything they haf into going after abortion. Kindly stfu, cons.

Correct,.. This cap is about allowing a "reasonable" number of people to step up to the hog trough,.. Too few and there will be lots of complainers, too many and there will be lots of complainers,.. The $250K per household is about trying to find the political sweet spot.
When it comes to tax cuts, $250k is framed as middle class, when it comes to other forms of relief, $250k is framed as rich. What are you going to do? Just deny everyone help because framing issues suck?

A $250k limit for a college educated couple on the coasts is a lot different than $250k in Des Moines. It should have been a blanket $10k as he campaigned on tied to items that would reduce costs because we are set up to do this again in another decade. What a dope he and his advisors are

Well, the arbitrary cutoff is necessary for optics to show that forgiveness is not going to “wealthy” people. My point is $250k is way too high. If you are in that range you can afford to pay your debt.
I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but $250k household income in places like NYC, Los Angeles, Seattle, San Francisco, etc. really isn’t all that much.

This. Rs had 4 years to do something about this. Instead they decided to put everything they haf into going after abortion. Kindly stfu, cons.
Which means. Give somebody somebody else’s money for their own mistakes.

When was Biden going to tax the rich?

He is going to absolutely shatter trumps debt records.

Reactions: HugeEddie
No, not this. Pay off your fuking loans like we all had to.

This is total bullshit to buy votes
I paid off my loans, but have family members who still struggle. I am downright giddy for them that they get some help. Degrees are near mandatory. Even sub $20 jobs require them. Forcing crazy levels of educational costs all on the backs of the working class is wrong. I can't applaud Biden enough for using whatever tools he has to help the working class out.

When it comes to tax cuts, $250k is framed as middle class, when it comes to other forms of relief, $250k is framed as rich. What are you going to do? Just deny everyone help because framing issues suck?

I'm going to tell people to pay the debts that they have incurred, and then try to provide some level of relief through reduced interest and low cost refinancing,.. All this does is promote irresponsibility.

I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but $250k household income in places like NYC, Los Angeles, Seattle, San Francisco, etc. really isn’t all that much.
I don’t disagree, but so what? We subsidizing people living on the coasts now? Maybe if you’re struggling with a California cost of living and can’t pay your bills you consider moving to Texas or Iowa.

Also, what’s the loan repayment time period? 20 years? Regardless of your state of residence you should be able to pay $20-30k in student loans over that time.

Reactions: hawkland14
I'm going to tell people to pay the debts that they have incurred, and then try to provide some level of relief through reduced interest and low cost refinancing,.. All this does is promote irresponsibility.
I don’t agree with it only promoting irresponsibility….but I agree with you….federal student loans should be essentially 0% interest…and the American public eats the servicing costs for the greater public good….that would have been a good step forward.

If he's planning on doing this via executive order than he has to know it will be overturned by the courts. I mean I don't think this would go through a friendly supreme court and this supreme court isn't going to be friendly.

I think this is about getting people to vote for D's at the polls.

I just can't see any way that it's constitutional without congress agreeing. And since I think the Dems are out of uses of the budget reconciliation move in the senate I can't see it going through there. Even if they had one of those moves left would Manchin be on board for this?

There will always be those who abuse a system and those who need its help. Policy choices require asking whether the risk of someone abusing the system is worse than the risk of someone in need not getting help. There are reasonable arguments at the margins on that point, but it is not accurate to say that this will only promote irresponsibility. There is a moral hazard to be sure, but this does far more than promote irresponsibility.

Reactions: CaboKP
See my above post. Degrees are near mandatory these days. In no way should we be faulting the working class for trying to educate themselves.
Link to where junior college and in-state school is just too expensive?

my guess is nobody is dying fonancially going that route. If they are they don’t deserve a job. The poor already get a dump truck of financial aid.

Reactions: HawkGem10
Gotta love the PPP argument. One program was because the government forced a shut down of their business and as long as they contractually fit a criteria the money didnt need to be paid back. The other was so people choose to go to school electively didnt have to pay back the money they contractually agreed to payback. Id bet most business owner would choose to not have the PPP in exchange for the pandemic never happening.

If he's planning on doing this via executive order than he has to know it will be overturned by the courts. I mean I don't think this would go through a friendly supreme court and this supreme court isn't going to be friendly.

I think this is about getting people to vote for D's at the polls.
No political court is going to overturn this….it would be suicide for the midterms….the narrative for the Dems would be “The radical right wing court stole your money….vote blue”

and it would work

Reactions: Huey Grey
See my above post. Degrees are near mandatory these days. In no way should we be faulting the working class for trying to educate themselves.
And in no way shape or form should anybody else have to pay anything to cover their fing college loans and now we get this...this is a fing joke!

• Haha
Reactions: Ree4
Gotta love the PPP argument. One program was because the government forced a shut down of their business and as long as they contractually fit a criteria the money didnt need to be paid back. The other was so people choose to go to school electively didnt have to pay back the money they contractually agreed to payback. Id bet most business owner would choose to not have the PPP in exchange for the pandemic never happening.
Oh get real, PPP was the biggest tax payer give away in US history….

Link to where junior college and in-state school is just too expensive?

my guess is nobody is dying fonancially going that route. If they are they don’t deserve a job. The poor already get a dump truck of financial aid.
Whats a bachelors from Iowa gonna cost you? $50k these days? Less? More? It's gotta be in this range. I would say this is a pretty costly requirement just to gain access to a decent job.

If people get mad about this, wait until they learn about the PPP and the nearly trillion dollars of forgiven loans for business owners with no income limit or use restriction!
Totally this. On the surface, I'm not in favor of ditching student loan debt without some sort of "payment" or "service" in kind. But, when you look at the hundreds of millions and more that were given to millionaires/billionaires, I'm good with it. Its a drop in the bucket compared to what the wealthy have received.

I paid off my loans, but have family members who still struggle. I am downright giddy for them that they get some help. Degrees are near mandatory. Even sub $20 jobs require them. Forcing crazy levels of educational costs all on the backs of the working class is wrong. I can't applaud Biden enough for using whatever tools he has to help the working class out.
What the hell are you talking about. The construction industry pays more than that. Plumber, mechanics, electricians, …could go all day

And in no way shape or form should anybody else have to pay anything to cover their fing college loans and now we get this...this is a fing joke!
Blame our system of education then. Because requiring expensive degrees to get jobs and expecting the worker to bear all of these costs makes little sense. Rs had 4 years to do something, anything, about this. They punted. It's about time we have a president doing something about this problem.

Blame our system of education then. Because requiring expensive degrees to get jobs and expecting the worker to bear all of these costs makes little sense. Rs had 4 years to do something, anything, about this. They punted. It's about time we have a president doing something about this problem.
I guess you do need an art degree to work at Starbucks

Totally this. On the surface, I'm not in favor of ditching student loan debt without some sort of "payment" or "service" in kind. But, when you look at the hundreds of millions and more that were given to millionaires/billionaires, I'm good with it. Its a drop in the bucket compared to what the wealthy have received.

I don't disagree with that logic but PPP was authorized by congress. This won't be authorized by congress so Biden's gonna try executive order. Doing this by executive order isn't constitutional from any understanding of the constitution that I have. Congress controls the purse strings . . . Now there is some amount of money for the Executive branches to spend as they see fit but not 300 billion dollars worth of money.

This is total bullshit, there are plenty of good jobs out there that require nothing more than a diploma and some work ethic. Not to mention it's the middle class that is going to pay this bill.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT