ADVERTISEMENT

White House to cancel up to $20,000 in debt relief for Pell Grant recipients

Blame our system of education then. Because requiring expensive degrees to get jobs and expecting the worker to bear all of these costs makes little sense. Rs had 4 years to do something, anything, about this. They punted. It's about time we have a president doing something about this problem.
No i am blaming the dumbass in office who is doing this...there is no way in hades anybody else should be paying for somebody's education (parents withstanding)....i paid my loans off no way should we have to pay for somebody else's!

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I applaud this move. It gives the working class much needed relief to get a leg up in this college education required economy.
My nephew just started his job this month after college. $10K signing bonus and $90K per year. He'll get $10,000. He doesn't need any relief or a leg up. Even he think's it a joke.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
This is only on federal loans, right? We have about 5K left on my wife's loans but they're through Iowa Student Loan so I'm assuming they don't apply. Oh well.

We shouldnt have shutdown anything except nursing homes. Trump shouldn’t have listen to Fauci
Hindsight is always 20/20. And I highly doubt Trump listened to Fauci on this. Trump doesn't listen to anybody. You just can't bring yourself to ever blame Trump even just a little bit.

My nephew just started his job this month after college. $10K signing bonus and $90K per year. He'll get $10,000. He doesn't need any relief or a leg up. Even he think's it a joke.
Holy hell. What kind of job did he get and where? lol.

Reactions: Ree4
No political court is going to overturn this….it would be suicide for the midterms….the narrative for the Dems would be “The radical right wing court stole your money….vote blue” and it would work

Sounds like a plausible plan...

I get the base instinct that it is troubling that people who don't "need" assistance get it. But that's a reality of any large scale program or rule. You will exclude people who need it and include people who don't. Are people willing to pay for the entire army of government workers that would be needed to ensure that only those who "need" relief get it? That would require resources that would eat through any savings.

Dana Carvey Nbc GIF

I don’t disagree, but so what? We subsidizing people living on the coasts now? Maybe if you’re struggling with a California cost of living and can’t pay your bills you consider moving to Texas or Iowa.

Sounds like welfare for the less ambitious, another great policy decision that negatively amortizes

Letting people keep their own money instead of taking more of it from them isn't buying votes.
So here's my question on that. If this had been in the form of a tax credit, would you feel the same way? For example, in Trump's 2017 tax plan it increased the amount of the child credit. Do you feel that way letting people keep their own money or buying their votes?

So here's my question on that. If this had been in the form of a tax credit, would you feel the same way? For example, in Trump's 2017 tax plan it increased the amount of the child credit. Do you feel that way letting people keep their own money or buying their votes?
And the CTC was expanded after the first distributional tables showed big, middle class families getting net tax increases after the elimination of personal exemptions. That didn't go over too well in republican circles and so money was handed out in the form of increased CTCs and higher eligibility limits.

Reactions: srams21
Based off my office today, there are some pretty pissed off union members. This may have the opposite effect that Biden was wanting.
I suspect many will be pissed off because it’s seen as a giveaway and others pissed off because the giveaway isn’t large enough.

We saved $50 a month for each of our kids from the day they were born. Sacrificed vacations and many extras to help pay for their college. We also wrote some big fricking checks along the way on top of what we saved. We forced our kids to save 1/2 of everything they earned growing up for college.

a banker in town proudly announced to anybody that would listen they were not going to help their kids one bit. He drives around town in an expensive sports car.

I guess he did it right.

everybody is a victim and no consequences for anything anymore.

too bad our home is about paid for. Free mortgage will no doubt be on the DNC platform soon.
Historically I would've agreed with everything you said here but I've recently come to the conclusion that sacrificing vacations is a terrible precedent.

Your kids would've probably learned more about life by traveling then going to college.

The underlying problem is the cost of college. It's become a f****** joke that some small, podunk college is charging upwards of 40 or 50,000 for a degree - and the reason they can is because of stupid loans being given out to cover it.

It's a shell game that just needs to be swept off the table and start over.

As someone else said - this is a good first step, but if we don't address the underlying problems then it's just a band aid over a gushing wound.

Sort of an aside, but how much was the 10k sign on bonus taxed?

As someone who's received similar 'bonuses' I end up being more pissed about the taxes than I'm happy about the bonus.

As someone who's received similar 'bonuses' I end up being more pissed about the taxes than I'm happy about the bonus.
Bonuses are taxed at your normal income rate fyi.

Should be taxed like ordinary income. This shouldnt piss you off overall.

Reactions: srams21
If people get mad about this, wait until they learn about the PPP and the nearly trillion dollars of forgiven loans for business owners with no income limit or use restriction!
Completely different. Government forced these businesses to shut down. No one forced these people to get loans. You knowingly signed the loan docs, pay the damn bill. Just another liberal vote buying giveaway.

You people have it all wrong. Not only is this good for all the the people who get the (illegal) free debt forgiveness, it is good for everyone else because it's going to reduce inflation, just like the Inflation Reduction Act. That is how this works, when the government spends billions and trillions of dollars, then inflation goes down. It worked with the pandemic stimulus spending, so it is sure to work again.

2evobq.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT