ADVERTISEMENT

White House to cancel up to $20,000 in debt relief for Pell Grant recipients

Thank you! I will take a compliment when I get one!

I am truly curious about the exemptions vs. tax credits. Am I right about the CTC replacing exemptions?
They did remove exemptions but I'm not sure if the increased CTC replaced them or at least it wasn't the direct replacement. I think they increased the standard deduction which was the "replacement" for the exemptions IIRC. But I could be wrong!

The $250,000-plus income bracket roughly represents the top 5% of earners in the country, according to US Census Bureau data.

More than a third of Americans earning at least $250,000 annually say they are living paycheck to paycheck, underscoring how inflation is taking a bigger bite out of Americans’ budgets at all ends of the pay spectrum.

Some 36% of households taking in nearly four times the median US salary devote nearly all of their income to household expenses, according to a survey by industry publication Pymnts.com and LendingClub Corp.

It’s particularly true among millennials, who are now in their mid-20s to early 40s: More than half of top earners in that generation report having little left at the end of the month.

Sounds like a spending/priority problem to me...

Last edited:
Then change the rules going forward. Don’t just give a handout to a few in order to buy votes.

What about folks who have to have a car in order to work a job (no reliable public transportation)? Should the government give them a car or an interest free loan? That would be “investing in their future.”

This is a bad, bad move by Biden.

Nobody forced these people to take out loans. College is not a requirement. There are plenty of jobs in trade fields such as plumbing, etc. that pay well.

My former employer had (and still has) many positions that did not require a college degree. Office jobs with decent pay, good benefits, and advancement opportunities. Yes, you had to start at the bottom. As you should.
Admittedly, the main reason I'm not a huge fan of the loan forgiveness is that on it's own its a bandaid on an open wound. Short-term relief that doesn't solve the underlying problem of how and why college expenses have exploded.
As respectfully as possible, I don't believe you truly understand the layers of dynamics that has led to the cost of college being so expensive.

Oh, I'm quite certain I don't understand all the layers involved. As I said, my parents were able to put enough money aside that most of my expenses were paid for, so I'm sure there's a ton going on that I was unaware of when I graduated in '06. I know that state funding of public universities in Iowa has gradually declined over the years, cost of living has risen, God only knows how much textbooks, notebooks and the like cost now, as well as a whole host of stuff I'm not even thinking of.

The $250,000-plus income bracket roughly represents the top 5% of earners in the country, according to US Census Bureau data.

More than a third of Americans earning at least $250,000 annually say they are living paycheck to paycheck, underscoring how inflation is taking a bigger bite out of Americans’ budgets at all ends of the pay spectrum.

Some 36% of households taking in nearly four times the median US salary devote nearly all of their income to household expenses, according to a survey by industry publication Pymnts.com and LendingClub Corp.

It’s particularly true among millennials, who are now in their mid-20s to early 40s: More than half of top earners in that generation report having little left at the end of the month.

Sounds like a spending/priority problem to me...
I’d love to peek into their garages.

33% of undergraduates do not complete their degree.

First-time undergraduate freshman have a 12 month dropout rate of 24%

39 million Americans were college dropouts in July 2020. Less than 1M of them re-enrolled in the Fall.

The US taxpayers are now footing the bill for several semesters worth of parties, Skipping class and sleeping in until the afternoon.

83 percent today get through undergrad at a state university with less than 20k debt. This is a pay off to the irresponsible, to grad students and to people who chose to go to private schools or scams (online schools). Many people qualify for academic scholarships. In Florida, this isn’t even means tested. Meaning, you’re a good student you get your tuition paid for.

grad students are adults and don’t need their pet pursuit paid for unless they’re competitive for some other program that we incentivize. We don’t need to be paying for student loan debt chosen by the student, and allocated by the student. People choose to max their loans. People choose to live in nice apartments and buy clothes w their loans. People choose to not work. To not look for scholarships.

33% of undergraduates do not complete their degree.

First-time undergraduate freshman have a 12 month dropout rate of 24%

39 million Americans were college dropouts in July 2020. Less than 1M of them re-enrolled in the Fall.

The US taxpayers are now footing the bill for several semesters worth of parties, Skipping class and sleeping in until the afternoon.

yes and for people who barely graduate from hs, or worse, don’t and then get a ged, max loans to go to community college, use those loans to supplement their lifestyle, perform like ass, never graduate and are never gainfully employed.

Another example. I have a former fellow student who maxed his loans from undergrad thru completing his phd despite full academic scholarships including stipend. We just gave him 10k. Why? He’s Mormon. He had a boatload of children. His wife didn’t work and he decided to buy a way above median price home. Ie. We didn’t give him 10k for school. We helped him but a house with a pool while he was a student.

Compounding the issue, said soul with a phd, would have been competitive for numerous loan repayment program options but all require some sort of service or things he didn’t want to do. He wanted to live somewhere beautiful. So, he does.

My railroad is hiring. Starts between $30-$45 per hour. Plus daily expenses. Plus mileage. Plus easy overtime. No degree required. In fact, I think almost all of the Class 1 railroads are hiring. And too many short lines to mention. No degrees required there either. I’m pretty sure there are a lot of trade apprenticeship programs looking hard for trainees right now as well. Paid as you train. Amazing future. Oh, and I forgot to mention all of the coastal supply chain job openings in shipping and receiving. Ship yards, intermodal terminals. Loads of well paying jobs that don’t require degrees. Warehouse jobs. Hiring. Distribution jobs. Hiring. Trucking jobs. Desperately hiring. Big money can be found right off the bat all over the country right now. Without college degrees.
Yep 100%. I work in insurance and see gross payrolls. Ready mix, dump truck drivers, electric, mechanical, pipe operators, iron workers, etc are making six figures in Des Moines.
Hell they will pay someone 25 bucks a hour to clean debris at their job sites.
You don’t need to take on 100k in debt to go make 100k a year anymore. Just takes a little work ethic.

• Love
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
No accountability anymore.

steal from a store and face no jail time.
Shit it the street, no big deal.
Pitch a tent on a public sidewalk forever.
Borrow money and never pay it back even though you can.
get addicted to drugs and alcohol.

the excuse for all of the above is I am a victim and somebody else needs to pay for it.

It’s amazing that POTUS feels these folks can’t make it in life so they need their college debt wipe away but on the other hand we are all supposed to buy 50k EVs

I just want to add that my 23 year old nephew is irate right now. He worked at HyVee all through college to pay hit tuition. Nights, weekends, summers, spring breaks. Lived like a poor church mouse. If only he knew
But, but. Some white children get help from their parents. So, that means white children get white priv so we need to pay their student loans and bipoc loans to make up for it.

The outrage and howling when any ordinary people get any direct assistance from the government, just amazing. Just a grievance culture. Man we are a sick society.

And generally from the same people who are completely ignorant and/or don't care about how both Republicans and Democrats have been captured by monied interests. Lobbyist culture in Washington and state capitols that benefits the few at the expense of the many is far far far more corrupt and expensive.

But none of the idiot schlubs care about that, only if they think the schlub next door might have gotten something that they didn't get.

I just want to add that my 23 year old nephew is irate right now. He worked at HyVee all through college to pay hit tuition. Nights, weekends, summers, spring breaks. Lived like a poor church mouse. If only he knew
LOL. Wow. You're so predictable.

The outrage and howling when any ordinary people get any direct assistance from the government, just amazing. Just a grievance culture. Man we are a sick society.

And generally from the same people who are completely ignorant and/or don't care about how both Republicans and Democrats have been captured by monied interests. Lobbyist culture in Washington and state capitols that benefits the few at the expense of the many is far far far more corrupt and expensive.

But none of the idiot schlubs care about that, only if they think the schlub next door might have gotten something that they didn't get.
It’s not either or. This is irresponsible and unfair. And, in a way that it is very easy for the average middle class American to understand. Millions of middle class people have paid student loans. And, the president, by executive order, just said their fellow middle class citizens get a 10k boon on their dime.

It’s not either or. This is irresponsible and unfair. And, in a way that it is very easy for the average middle class American to understand. Millions of middle class people have paid student loans. And, the president, by executive order, just said their fellow middle class citizens get a 10k boon on their dime.
Oh for cripes sake. Irresponsible and unfair? This is one of the few things modern government has done (child tax credit is another) that is responsible and fair, in that millions of people are going to directly benefit from government action rather than the usual very few.

And again, LOL at ANYONE who went to college pre-1990 who's whining at all about this. You want to talk heavily subsidized and a "free handout" on the back of the average middle class or whatever. Basically prior to then if you went to college you were only sacrificing your time when you could have instead been earning money, student loan debt was low or non-existent.

LOL. Wow. You're so predictable.
As you are as well.

This is being viewed by the masses as a handout to those who aren’t taking responsibility for their actions. It cuts to the core of many peoples beliefs and how they conduct themselves every day.

As you are as well.

This is being viewed by the masses as a handout to those who aren’t taking responsibility for their actions. It cuts to the core of many peoples beliefs and how they conduct themselves every day.
You're just so comprehensively full of shit. Just give your opinion on this, don't make up a nephew to give your opinion.

And LOL at Republican politicians (hell any Democrats bitching as well) that are totally in the bag for their big money contributors rending their garments over this. Just a full-of-shit circus.

A good percentage of the people who are receiving the benefit of this have already paid back what they borrowed. This is often interest on the debt.

You know what the call the interest portion of your debt?,... That's called debt.

Doesn't seem clear if the $125k/$250k is as of last year, this year, or historical average (of say the last three years)? In my view it should definitely be historical average so people don't game the system for one year or aren't penalized for one big year of income.
I read it is for 2021 or 2020. This may put more professionals below the income thresholds due to 2020 COVID shutdowns.

https://fortune.com/2022/08/24/biden-to-forgive-10000-in-student-loan-debt-heres-who-qualifies/amp/

Who qualifies for student loan forgiveness?

Biden’s plan limits forgiveness to individuals earning under $125,000 per year during tax years 2020 or 2021. The Department of Education estimates that nearly 90% of relief dollars will go to those earning less than $75,000 a year. No one in the top 5% of households by income in the U.S. will qualify for relief.

Reactions: WadeLookingbill
You're just so comprehensively full of shit. Just give your opinion on this, don't make up a nephew to give your opinion.

And LOL at Republican politicians (hell any Democrats bitching as well) that are totally in the bag for their big money contributors rending their garments over this. Just a full-of-shit circus.
Real story. And it has happened to a ton of kids and adults just like him.
Paying off debt for a bunch of Fuking losers. I hope you guys are proud of yourselves

Real story. And it has happened to a ton of kids and adults just like him.
Paying off debt for a bunch of Fuking losers. I hope you guys are proud of yourselves
Again, government at pretty much all levels these days acts as a grift machine for rich people and business. But what we're gonna get outraged about is when some ordinary schmo gets something that maybe we didn't get?

You belong to a toxic political party. It's all anger and grievance. "Fuking losers". Ok Mr MAGA.

Ok, so much for a normal conversation with you.

If I didn’t know the difference between PPP, child tax credits and student loan forgiveness I’d probably be the one to STFU.
Yeah, just go away and stfu seems to be the touting line when shown they're wrong.

I am against the payoff. But I can guarantee in 10 years your nephew will be better off financially than all the college dropouts who just got 10,000.

Again, government at pretty much all levels these days acts as a grift machine for rich people and business. But what we're gonna get outraged about is when some ordinary schmo gets something that maybe we didn't get?

For most people opposed to this, it's not so much about somebody getting something that they didn't get,.. It's more about also having to pay for it.

I am against the payoff. But I can guarantee in 10 years your nephew will be better off financially than all the college dropouts who just got 10,000.
He is a good kid so yes, he will be. His sister just so happens to be one of those. The tensions are real with them right now. My mother called me last night to inform me of the drama

• Haha
Reactions: BrunoMars420
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT