ADVERTISEMENT

White House to cancel up to $20,000 in debt relief for Pell Grant recipients

To be fair, I don't think either side has had legitimate policy debate in a long time. It's just juvenile name calling and virtue signaling. I've seen better behavior at most middle schools.
Says the guy who told me to STFU because I’m a Republican in this very thread.

Reactions: HugeEddie
So $2000 over 10 years? Lol

Are you guys really bitching about this? The government can easily find a way to fund this without raising taxes that will be raised anyway by 2025.

Why should I have to pay $200/year so you can have your debt wiped out? I have my own kids college to pay for and we did absolutely nothing to solve that problem moving forward.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
So $2000 over 10 years? Lol

Are you guys really bitching about this? The government can easily find a way to fund this without raising taxes that will be raised anyway by 2025.
😂
Dude… you should probably take your W and sit quietly. You have already paid your loans, but are filing to get a refund so that debt can then be forgiven. Then you’re going to use that money to invest. In other words, you can easily afford to pay this back.

Pretty sure not the person Biden and team were thinking of when they rolled this out.

Says the guy who told me to STFU because I’m a Republican in this very thread.
That's not exactly what I said. I have had no issues with you over the years here. However, the Right has been putting out a lot of anti American vitriol these past couple years and with the entire Trump shitshow, I think it's fair to lay low for a bit. FTR, I said the same thing about Dems ~4 years ago.

I didn't literally mean for you personally to STFU and I apologize if you took it that way good sir. It's hard to tell who is being genuine and who is intentionally obtuse. I mistook you for the latter. Carry on.

😂
Dude… you should probably take your W and sit quietly. You have already paid your loans, but are filing to get a refund so that debt can then be forgiven. Then you’re going to use that money to invest. In other words, you can easily afford to pay this back.

Pretty sure not the person Biden and team were thinking of when they rolled this out.
So he's taking advantage of a legal loophole. Rich people do it all the time. What's the difference?

So he's taking advantage of a legal loophole. Rich people do it all the time. What's the difference?
I didn’t say there was anything illegal or improper. I just doubt he’s the type of borrower the Biden team is trying to help. In fact, he kinda supports the GOP’s argument that a lot of this forgiveness is going to people who don’t need it.

Personally, I’d rather the plan take Bruno’s share and give it to the unemployed person with $80k in debt. Really help those in real need, not people who have the money to pay it all back.

Why should I have to pay $200/year so you can have your debt wiped out? I have my own kids college to pay for and we did absolutely nothing to solve that problem moving forward.
Why should I pay “X” amount a year so people less fortunate than me have food, shelter, etc…? I guess it is all your perspective on this. Like I’ve said I am against the forgiveness unless there was a complete rehaul of the college system. But I just find it funny that this is the worst thing ever when this is the American way!

For my girls I already have 3 years worth of a 529 going on with putting more in it during the last year due to the market. Guess what I will be doing with the extra $4500 when I get it refunded? If you guessed funding my girls future education you are right! Do I give a shit about $200 a year helping out my fellow citizen? Not one bit but like I said this could easily be paid for over the 10 years from the federal government with cuts in discretionary spending. Or when the tax cuts expire in 2025 🤷🏽‍♂️

😂

Invest in my daughters education, correct. And I took my W, it is fun to troll some hardcore types on this issue

I didn’t say there was anything illegal or improper. I just doubt he’s the type of borrower the Biden team is trying to help. In fact, he kinda supports the GOP’s argument that a lot of this forgiveness is going to people who don’t need it.

Personally, I’d rather the plan take Bruno’s share and give it to the unemployed person with $80k in debt. Really help those in real need, not people who have the money to pay it all back.
And I agree with this. But it’s tough with the different cost of living in certain areas for the administration to apply it differently. I get why they did it that way.

Why should I pay “X” amount a year so people less fortunate than me have food, shelter, etc…? I guess it is all your perspective on this.

lol at you comparing people that need to eat too you, gloating about your income, refund, etc… all the while telling those of us that didn’t get our loans canceled to just shut up and stop whining about it. I’ve never had a problem helping those in need. I do, however, have a problem footing the bill for you.

Reactions: hwk23
lol at you comparing people that need to eat too you, gloating about your income, refund, etc… all the while telling those of us that didn’t get our loans canceled to just shut up and stop whining about it. I’ve never had a problem helping those in need. I do, however, have a problem footing the bill for you.
Correct, go kick rocks and stop being a bitch about it. Shit is unfair bruh, it’s America. I can bring up the bailouts, all the corporate welfare, farmers getting subsidies every year, etc….I just find it odd certain people are complaining about America doing this when we literally forgave PPP loans, Fed pumping unreal amounts of money, gave out millions of stimulus checks, and expanded the child tax credit in the last two years but god forbid we help the millennial middle and lower class with some forgiveness!!! This shit is such a tiny amount over 10 years in the whole scheme of things.

Hopefully we get to the point where we as a nation foot the bill for higher education for everyone that deserves it.

I'm not a huge fan of this EO, but I am also not mad. I went back to finish my degree later in life and it has been well worth the effort.

Being part of a union in the past, the mindset was very much about things being fair. Anyone not receiving the $, felt it was unfair. I always made a point to tell people I was happy for them. I still do when someone receives a raise or promotion. I realize the analogy isn't the same, but I choose to look on the positive side and be happy for others when something good happens for them.

Correct, go kick rocks and stop being a bitch about it. Shit is unfair bruh, it’s America. I can bring up the bailouts, all the corporate welfare, farmers getting subsidies every year, etc….I just find it odd certain people are complaining about America doing this when we literally forgave PPP loans, Fed pumping unreal amounts of money, gave out millions of stimulus checks, and expanded the child tax credit in the last two years but god forbid we help the millennial middle and lower class with some forgiveness!!! This shit is such a tiny amount over 10 years in the whole scheme of things.

Hopefully we get to the point where we as a nation foot the bill for higher education for everyone that deserves it.
Here’s one thing I’d ask you. Forget about people saying it isn’t fair because they paid their loans. What about the Gen Z kids taking loans out right now? Just not fortunate enough to owe money in an election year? You touch on it in your last point about free college but you know that’s not going to happen. So…I guess it sucks for them?

Here’s one thing I’d ask you. Forget about people saying it isn’t fair because they paid their loans. What about the Gen Z kids taking loans out right now? Just not fortunate enough to owe money in an election year? You touch on it in your last point about free college but you know that’s not going to happen. So…I guess it sucks for them?
Correct.

meh. I’m not being a bitch about anything, but you sure have shown your true colors. Selfish, for sure. You got yours, now **** everyone Else. Your tone in this thread has told me all I need to know. I said it to you before many moons ago how entitled you sound on this topic. You have firmly cemented that position.

RhJpOjX.jpeg

What is the future of these loans? Why would anyone pay one back?
Will financial institutions refuse to participate anymore? Why not borrow as much as you can on these loans and live as large as possible knowing you wont be held responsible?

The president is not able to spend money that has not already been approved by congress. It is called checks and balances. It is in the constitution. I am not sure how they are getting around this.

Reactions: HugeEddie
I'm not going to put the blame on R's for this, they didn't create the EO, nor do any of us even know if D's would have been receptive to something bipartisan - they certainly seemed to have their own trouble coordinating even a dollar figure on how much should have been forgiven.

What I'll blame R's for is not going out in front of the press, acknowledging there's a problem, and tackling the cost side of it as D's grappled with the forgiveness aspect. They could have put an end to what they see as generations of political indoctrination at the university level, whether that was true in reality, had they wanted.

I'm not going to put the blame on R's for this, they didn't create the EO, nor do any of us even know if D's would have been receptive to something bipartisan - they certainly seemed to have their own trouble coordinating even a dollar figure on how much should have been forgiven.

What I'll blame R's for is not going out in front of the press, acknowledging there's a problem, and tackling the cost side of it as D's grappled with the forgiveness aspect. They could have put an end to what they see as generations of political indoctrination at the university level, whether that was true in reality, had they wanted.
Good post. Politically the republicans should have made a huge stink of the cost of college and why it’s as high as it is.

Nobody wants to listen to the real reason for why college costs are out of control.. The solution would be to hard to accept...
It seems everyone wants to listen to the reason and fix the solution from literally every post about student loans on HORT lol.

It seems everyone wants to listen to the reason and fix the solution from literally every post about student loans on HORT lol.

College costs are out of control primarily because the current system has schools pitted against each other in an amenities based arms race, competing for millions of customers who have free access to an endless supply of student loan money,.. Individuals who have no interest or business going to college are told that if they don't attend they will become second class citizens and failures in life. Money is handed out in the form of student loans to basically anyone who raises their hand. Choosing a school typically comes down to prospective students weighing the pros and cons of the various dining halls, football stadiums, wellness centers and residence halls that they have visited.,.. Finally, in order to efficiently process the largely disinterested portion of this student population the curriculum is dumbed down to comical levels,.. Too many customers, with too much money chasing a singular product will result in both inflated costs and poor product quality.

College costs are out of control primarily because the current system has schools pitted against each other in an amenities based arms race, competing for millions of customers who have free access to an endless supply of student loan money,.. Individuals who have no interest or business going to college are told that if they don't attend they will become second class citizens and failures in life. Money is handed out in the form of student loans to basically anyone who raises their hand. Choosing a school typically comes down to prospective students weighing the pros and cons of the various dining halls, football stadiums, wellness centers and residence halls that they have visited.,.. Finally, in order to efficiently process the largely disinterested portion of this student population the curriculum is dumbed down to comical levels,.. Too many customers, with too much money chasing a singular product will result in both inflated costs and poor product quality.
Bingo

ADVERTISEMENT