ADVERTISEMENT

White People Whitesplain Whitesplaining

oh_the_ironing.jpg

There's already a word for this... paternalism. It's something liberals are great at. Why this generation feels the need to reinvent the wheel and turn it into a portmanteau is beyond me.

There's already a word for this... paternalism. It's something liberals are great at. Why this generation feels the need to reinvent the wheel and turn it into a portmanteau is beyond me.
I don't mind having subgenres of condescension, but you get a like for working "portmanteau" into a sentence on HROT.

How, exactly, is this paternalism?

One of the actors in the clip gives an example.

Which was? I understand paternalism to be treating them like a child, but by doing so limiting rights/abilities in some way. What is being limited? Ability to speak for themselves? Maybe I misunderstand the term.

I see it as not allowing an under-18er to drink/smoke, because it is better for them. Or placing them on curfew so that they don't cause mischief.

I'm not seeing the redundancy here.

Which was? I understand paternalism to be treating them like a child, but by doing so limiting rights/abilities in some way. What is being limited? Ability to speak for themselves? Maybe I misunderstand the term.

QUOTE]

Ability to think/speak for themselves. Telling them what to think or how to react wrt racial issues for their own good. "Let me remove agency from you, and think/act on your behalf". Seems like paternalism to me.

ADVERTISEMENT