ADVERTISEMENT

White woman sues sperm bank—again—after getting black man’s sperm

fredjr82

HR Legend
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2007
cramblett-640x480.jpeg

An Ohio woman has sued a sperm bank that mistakenly gave her sperm from an African-American donor.

Plaintiff Jennifer Cramblett, who is white, gave birth to her mixed-race daughter Payton three years ago. In her lawsuit (PDF), she says that the sperm bank's mix-up led to "an unplanned transracial parent-child relationship for which she was not, and is not, prepared."

Cramblett was artificially inseminated with sperm she ordered from Illinois-based Midwest Sperm Bank, meant to be from Donor No. 380, a Caucasian man. Five months into her pregnancy, she found out that she had actually been sent a sample from Donor No. 330, an African-American male.

"On August 21, 2012, Jennifer gave birth to Payton, a beautiful, obviously mixed race, baby girl," the lawsuit states.

The sperm bank apologized and gave Cramblett a refund for six vials of sperm, but that's it. Cramblett's lawsuit says that she should be compensated for her "current and upcoming challenges with transracial parenting."

Link

I know there was a case like this earlier and the woman lost. I still can't understand how though. The sperm bank was negligent-- she ordered white and got black. If I ordered a white car and got black it wouldn't be ok for the manufacturer to say sorry and we will refund your service charge now be on your way. In fact, this is way worse as I could always return the car-- not so easily with a kid.

Judging from the picture the kid is pretty cute. I'll agree with that statement.

The mother? Wood not.

I'm confused, didn't this lady already try to sue once? I thought we had a thread about a white lesbian who was pissed and didn't accept her biracial baby she had from the sperm bank?

Maybe that was a different case, but it wasn't that long ago. For some reason I was thinking that happened in Ohio tho.

I know there was a case like this earlier and the woman lost. I still can't understand how though. The sperm bank was negligent-- she ordered white and got black. If I ordered a white car and got black it wouldn't be ok for the manufacturer to say sorry and we will refund your service charge now be on your way. In fact, this is way worse as I could always return the car-- not so easily with a kid.

Good point. The article says she got 6 viles of sperm. So the one that took was black? Were they all supposed to be white? I'm not sure how the process works though.

I'm confused, didn't this lady already try to sue once? I thought we had a thread about a white lesbian who was pissed and didn't accept her biracial baby she had from the sperm bank?

Maybe that was a different case, but it wasn't that long ago. For some reason I was thinking that happened in Ohio tho.

Probably the same case. This woman is from Ohio but the "bank" is in Illinois

Cramblett sued the sperm bank last year in Illinois state court. But the judge in that case said she could not proceed as a "wrongful birth" case. "Wrongful birth" lawsuits are meant to address situations where a child is born with congenital or hereditary disorders that would have been detected but weren't due to negligent or failed medical testing.

cramblett-640x480.jpeg

An Ohio woman has sued a sperm bank that mistakenly gave her sperm from an African-American donor.

Plaintiff Jennifer Cramblett, who is white, gave birth to her mixed-race daughter Payton three years ago. In her lawsuit (PDF), she says that the sperm bank's mix-up led to "an unplanned transracial parent-child relationship for which she was not, and is not, prepared."

Cramblett was artificially inseminated with sperm she ordered from Illinois-based Midwest Sperm Bank, meant to be from Donor No. 380, a Caucasian man. Five months into her pregnancy, she found out that she had actually been sent a sample from Donor No. 330, an African-American male.

"On August 21, 2012, Jennifer gave birth to Payton, a beautiful, obviously mixed race, baby girl," the lawsuit states.

The sperm bank apologized and gave Cramblett a refund for six vials of sperm, but that's it. Cramblett's lawsuit says that she should be compensated for her "current and upcoming challenges with transracial parenting."

Link
If the sperm bank guarantees the race each vile of sperm, then they are negligent if the recipient gets an "oops".

I would suggest she get preggers the old fashioned way, but no handsome dude I going to hit that without a rubber.

Just curious if the woman has a 'partner'. If so, what's it look like?

The company appears to have quality control issues. It's more of a talking point because a racial mixup occurred, but she didn't get what she ordered. And, it makes you wonder if they have proper screening for potential health issues from donors. No, not because they took in ethnics, but because they didn't seem to upset about their error.

If the sperm bank guarantees the race each vile of sperm, then they are negligent if the recipient gets an "oops".

I would suggest she get preggers the old fashioned way, but no handsome dude I going to hit that without a rubber.

Just curious if the woman has a 'partner'. If so, what's it look like?

You know what they say INX, that's why they make booze, so she has a chance at a handsome dude. I myself have hit a few models who were drunk as hell.

Is this someone who who doesn't see the hypocrisy in "I'm not racist, but I only date within my own race"... ?

You know, there's more than the race issue, here. When a woman chooses sperm for insemination, there are a number of factors about the donor that she is provided with for her consideration: height, weight, eye color, hair color, educational attainment, profession....

She didn't get what she purchased. That's a big problem.

The company appears to have quality control issues. It's more of a talking point because a racial mixup occurred, but she didn't get what she ordered. And, it makes you wonder if they have proper screening for potential health issues from donors. No, not because they took in ethnics, but because they didn't seem to upset about their error.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/18/w...ntal-illness-and-crime-lawsuits-say.html?_r=0

I'm not sure screenings are that in depth.

It's the same case. From the linked article:

Cramblett sued the sperm bank last year in Illinois state court. But the judge in that case said she could not proceed as a "wrongful birth" case. "Wrongful birth" lawsuits are meant to address situations where a child is born with congenital or hereditary disorders that would have been detected but weren't due to negligent or failed medical testing.

The judge threw out her lawsuit but invited Cramblett to re-file on grounds of negligence. Cramblett's new case was filed Friday in federal court, and it accuses the sperm bank of fraud, breach of contract, and negligence.

Is this someone who who doesn't see the hypocrisy in "I'm not racist, but I only date within my own race"... ?

What's hypocritical about that?
Do you call someone a hypocrite because they accept all women as equals, but only date the ones with nice bodies?

I gotta believe she's going to win this case. Also, this isn't her being racist or bigoted. She ordered something specific and didn't receive what she ordered. She may have never know if the mixed up the sample with another white guy but instead they mixed people of varying skin color which made the mistake pronounced and obvious. A white couple is most likely going to want a white baby for obvious reasons.

Should have just thrown this baby in the trash and taken another shot from the baster in her puss

Reactions: UKGrad93

Basically this. I wouldn't sue over something like this because, well, good god woman, but this is a company that provides a product, a product that can choose race, and they failed to deliver that product. Would it be different if it was some sort of genetic issue like, say down syndrome, or albino?

And no, I am not comparing those things to being black, I am extending the hypothesis to see how far it would be defended.

I gotta believe she's going to win this case. Also, this isn't her being racist or bigoted. She ordered something specific and didn't receive what she ordered. She may have never know if the mixed up the sample with another white guy but instead they mixed people of varying skin color which made the mistake pronounced and obvious. A white couple is most likely going to want a white baby for obvious reasons.

I would agree with that. We have friends across the street that are a white couple who adopted a little girl of a different race. They simply wanted first baby they could adopt and didn't mind being a mixed race family and they seem to be handling it well, but there's also a lot of unnecessary crap they have to put up with from morons. The husband has been asked flat-out about whether his wife cheated on him, they've both been asked what happened in their first marriages and the wife has been told what a great thing it is that this guy stepped up when "bio dad" didn't. I'm sure the little girl (now 8, IIRC) has to deal with stupid questions from time to time, too.

None of it is the end of the world, but there are extra things that you have to deal with when your situation is visibly outside the norm. I can certainly see how this would be difficult, especially if you never even gave these things any thought at all during pregnancy because you paid a significant sum of money for something different.

I would agree with that. We have friends across the street that are a white couple who adopted a little girl of a different race. They simply wanted first baby they could adopt and didn't mind being a mixed race family and they seem to be handling it well, but there's also a lot of unnecessary crap they have to put up with from morons. The husband has been asked flat-out about whether his wife cheated on him, they've both been asked what happened in their first marriages and the wife has been told what a great thing it is that this guy stepped up when "bio dad" didn't. I'm sure the little girl (now 8, IIRC) has to deal with stupid questions from time to time, too.

None of it is the end of the world, but there are extra things that you have to deal with when your situation is visibly outside the norm. I can certainly see how this would be difficult, especially if you never even gave these things any thought at all during pregnancy because you paid a significant sum of money for something different.

I guess I understand that from a potential parents' perspective, but I think actual harm should be an extremely minor consideration for the court, it should be based entirely on the contractual relationship, i.e. her getting what she paid for. Which is why I, as the judge, wouldn't consider anything in regards to future damages or harm, but I would penalize them something for making the mistake, something big enough to try and convince them to put in place procedures to make sure this doesn't happen.

Because it isn't like she can return their product. I'm thinking cost of sperm plus cost of procedure, multiplied by 3 maybe.

What's hypocritical about that?
Do you call someone a hypocrite because they accept all women as equals, but only date the ones with nice bodies?
Well, yes! There's a fine line between preference and prejudice, actually.

In this case, the woman is showing/displaying, at least a hint, of racial prejudice. I realize it's difficult to endure what might come with it. But, to have a healthy baby that is "yours" is also a blessing in itself. This whole "custom-order" child thing is a little creepy to me.

Reactions: naturalmwa
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT