ADVERTISEMENT

Who am I to judge?

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Was thinking about all the so called fans ripping on Kirk, Brian, Spencer, Offensive Line, etc.

I played in high school until knee issues shut me down. Multiple surgeries, cortisone injections, etc, replacements will be next. I never made if to the college level so am I qualified to judge performance of our team?

For that matter, how many in the media have ever suited up? Have they ever sat in a pocket with a 300 lb. d-lineman getting ready to make mince meat out of my body? Looking at most of them, I would say NO.

How many of the fans belittling Spencer have ever played football? Or for that matter, college foorball, or played quarterback? How many have ever coached? How many have started as a Freshman or Sophmore offensive lineman and competed against players two-three years older than they are.

Bottom line, a majority is No, No. and No.

Starting today, I am going to totally support our team - win or lose. Because I feel they deserve it. Kirk has won enough games (170) won enough thrilling games (beaten OSU, Michigan, LSU, Penn State. USC, etc.) and brought pride to the university, we owe him our support.

Yes, there are a cast of characters that will bitch and moan, in the end, there is nothing anyone can do for them. The glass half-empty crowd. I am cautiously hopeful we will have another good season.

One more thing. To those fans booing the Hawks. Take a look behind you and think about those young kids in the hospital that cheer on the Hawks win or lose. There is a valuable lesson to be learned from them. They keep fighting, no matter what.

It is great to be a Hawkeye!

So your resume is about like that of Brian Ferentz. No experience as an OC. Check. No experience as a QB or QB coach. Check. And yet BF isn't sitting at home, he's on the sidelines pulling down about a million a year while running the worst offense in the nation. If you think you couldn't do the same, you're not giving yourself enough credit. But unless you're a Ferentz, you'll never get the chance.

You're right.

I hired someone to dig a ditch.

He didn't dig the ditch.

Even though I can clearly see that he's an incompetent person who is taking my money and not doing the job, since I've never dug a ditch I'm not qualified to judge him. I'll keep paying him.

Like I always say, "That's ditch digging."

Was thinking about all the so called fans ripping on Kirk, Brian, Spencer, Offensive Line, etc.

I played in high school until knee issues shut me down. Multiple surgeries, cortisone injections, etc, replacements will be next. I never made if to the college level so am I qualified to judge performance of our team?

For that matter, how many in the media have ever suited up? Have they ever sat in a pocket with a 300 lb. d-lineman getting ready to make mince meat out of my body? Looking at most of them, I would say NO.

How many of the fans belittling Spencer have ever played football? Or for that matter, college foorball, or played quarterback? How many have ever coached? How many have started as a Freshman or Sophmore offensive lineman and competed against players two-three years older than they are.

Starting today, I am going to totally support our team - win or lose. Because I feel they deserve it. Kirk has won enough games (170) won enough thrilling games (beaten OSU, Michigan, LSU, Penn State. USC, etc.) and brought pride to the university, we owe him our support.

Yes, there are a cast of characters that will bitch and moan, in the end, there is nothing anyone can do for them. The glass half-empty crowd. I am cautiously hopeful we will have another good season.

One more thing. To those fans booing the Hawks. Take a look behind you and think about those young kids in the hospital that cheer on the Hawks win or lose. There is a valuable lesson to be learned from them. They keep fighting, no matter what.

If you were looking to be some sort of hero with your post, you've failed. I suggest your take your black and gold blankie and sit on the sidelines for a bit and let the season play out.

As much as I appreciate the OP’s optimism and is a rationale poster I totally disagree. College football like it or not is a business, a huge one for the U, and is results driven. Why KF is top paid state employee and his son up there as well. They deserve as much criticism as any other top state level employee or CEOs out there. That’s why yes past matters but you can’t live off those merits forever if your KF and eventually time comes when you need to step aside and we’ve seen multiple program deteriorate letting legendary coach hang onto too long like Fsu, psu, VT etc. BF as we all know 6 yrs in deserves every bit of criticism thrown his way for lack of production let alone nepotism argument.

I for one hate the argument. Well you didn’t play the game so you can’t judge. Some of the top professional/college coaches didn’t even play in college for their respective sport. Same for some of the top analyst we listen to on tv or sports talk radio. These players get all the free and extra benefits of a full ride scholarship athlete and now NIL. They are adults and want all the praise and adulation well got to take the good with the bad. They can take some criticism too when it warrants itself and Petras after 3 years is not immune from any of it.

As much as I appreciate the OP’s optimism and is a rationale poster I totally disagree. College football like it or not is a business, a huge one for the U, and is results driven. Why KF is top paid state employee and his son up there as well. They deserve as much criticism as any other top state level employee or CEOs out there. That’s why yes past matters but you can’t live off those merits forever if your KF and eventually time comes when you need to step aside and we’ve seen multiple program deteriorate letting legendary coach hang onto too long like Fsu, psu, VT etc. BF as we all know 6 yrs in deserves every bit of criticism thrown his way for lack of production let alone nepotism argument.

I for one hate the argument. Well you didn’t play the game so you can’t judge. Some of the top professional/college coaches didn’t even play in college for their respective sport. Same for some of the top analyst we listen to on tv or sports talk radio. These players get all the free and extra benefits of a full ride scholarship athlete and now NIL. They are adults and want all the praise and adulation well got to take the good with the bad. They can take some criticism too when it warrants itself and Petras after 3 years is not immune from any of it.
I wouldn't be surprised that the OP bitches and moans as much or more than most fans do-- uses his post here to make his own guilt feel better. Shocking, or maybe not, how often that's the case.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
You're right.

I hired someone to dig a ditch.

He didn't dig the ditch.

Even though I can clearly see that he's an incompetent person who is taking my money and not doing the job, since I've never dug a ditch I'm not qualified to judge him. I'll keep paying him.

Like I always say, "That's ditch digging."
Your ditch digger is the worst in the entire country out of all ditch diggers. That's got to make you feel real good.

Your ditch digger is the worst in the entire country out of all ditch diggers. That's got to make you feel real good.
Please remember, Your failed ditch digger's crew is happy. Prior to your failed ditch digger crew sucking so bad, they were actually once very good. That was until a few ditch diggers threw a lawsuit against them because they had to follow the ditch digging rules. Now that the ditch digging rules are much more relaxed, that pretty good ditch digging team is the worst in the country.

Starting today, I am going to totally support our team - win or lose.
Curious, so BEFORE today you weren't always supportive of the team? Curious statement.

• Haha
Reactions: BUCKSNDUCKS
I don't necessarily agree with the op. Sports are entertainment. They should be entertaining. the most entertaining part of our offense is the punt game. That's not ok in my mind, especially when it is so expensive to watch a game.

I don't hold any ill feelings toward Petras or the ferentzes, but I don't like their performance so far either.

I agree with the op that it takes character to stand behind your team even when they are not great. We need more high character people in this world. I uphold this value by never attacking the players and coaches personally. I wish all of our fan base could do the same.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
GunnerHawk when you post something like you did you open yourself up to snarky angry little people on the internet who will try and tear you down and belittle you. It's a time of year to enjoy fall football with all of it's ups and downs and yet they can only see the negatives and they are angry because they can't win every football game or video game. Iowa football (all football) has always been a roller coaster ride and always will be.

Agreed on many of these points. I've been pretty critical of several of the offensive linemen in MANY posts. I need to do a better job of not calling out people by name...but god damn it, if Jones and Stephens can't freaking block anyone...crap...sorry...let me try again. If we can't get better blocking on the interior of our offensive line, we aren't going to run the football.

The booing has to stop...and it's not necessary...the collective groan in the stadium when we overthrow a pass or completely whiff on the interior of the line...is plenty loud enough. No need to boo.

GunnerHawk when you post something like you did you open yourself up to snarky angry little people on the internet who will try and tear you down and belittle you. It's a time of year to enjoy fall football with all of it's ups and downs and yet they can only see the negatives and they are angry because they can't win every football game or video game. Iowa football (all football) has always been a roller coaster ride and always will be.

Dude this is a shit show offense, if you like it more power to ya but many of us are sick of it. What makes up the most pissed is how blatantly stubborn Kirk is and is sticking with what he's doing when it ain't working. And giving the fans the middle finger while doing it

Reactions: the24fan
Dude this is a shit show offense, if you like it more power to ya but many of us are sick of it. What makes up the most pissed is how blatantly stubborn Kirk is and is sticking with what he's doing when it ain't working. And giving the fans the middle finger while doing it

Sure I understand all that stuff but every year there's a lot to be angry and upset about with Iowa football but I chose not to participate. I gaurantee with a coaching change there would still be plenty of stuff wrong for the haters to keep hating.

Ass kisser.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
If you put money into something from tickets to gear you probably have a small say. With out all that money iowa isn't play.

Curious, so BEFORE today you weren't always supportive of the team? Curious statement.
OK fday, that is three posts where you tried to rip me. I have always one of the more positive posters on this site, but after ISU made a few negative posts. If you want to be a dick, fine. I expected there would be posters ripping me. Very classless bunch on here anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: frydaze and yrunvs
OK fday, that is three posts where you tried to rip me. I have always one of the more positive posters on this site, but after ISU made a few negative posts. If you want to be a dick, fine. I expected there would be posters ripping me. Very classless bunch on here anymore.
He's just a dumb shit. Better to ignore him.

Your post and your comment I hi-lited left a lot in question...those were YOUR words bud, NOT mine.

Sure I understand all that stuff but every year there's a lot to be angry and upset about with Iowa football but I chose not to participate. I gaurantee with a coaching change there would still be plenty of stuff wrong for the haters to keep hating.
Absolutely this. It doesn’t matter who our coach is, people will always bitch. It’s unfortunate, but that’s just fanatics.

Reactions: BBHawk
Nobody, especially Kirk Ferentz, gives one single shit what you think or what you're sick of.

All of that can be true and criticism can still be warranted. No matter how you slice it, the Iowa offense is still trash and the other Iowa quarterbacks have not been given a fair shake. As great as Kirk has been, to suggest he is above reproach and absolved from criticism because most people never played football beyond high school is absolutely stupid.

I've noticed over time how very little you ad to the conversation except childish insults, are you 10 years old? Serious question.
I’m glad you’re paying attention. If you don’t like it you can do the same.

Not really sure if you make a very good point or not.

I’ve never ran the country but I’m pretty confident Sleepy Joe is a blubbering idiot.
Just another case of political posts being just fine on this board as long as it's right wing. Go f*ck yourself with the political bullshit, douchebag. Same with all the turds who hit like

Reactions: littlez

Sounds like you think you're absolutely someone who can be the judge of other fans which is a weird epiphany all of a sudden given your criticisms. Whatever makes you feel all warm an fuzzy on this particular day I guess...

ADVERTISEMENT