ADVERTISEMENT

Who are the other two........

The Deplorable Sleeping Dog

HR Heisman
Gold Member
May 9, 2018
…….. starting OLs next season, game 1?

We know AJ, Tyler and Mark Kallenberger are virtually certainties.

Off season ideas on the other two?

If he is 100%, I would give the nod to Banwart over Britt to start the season.
Thought about it, but so far Banwart has only played RG and C, so my thinking was he might not be comfortable on that side. Plus, he's pretty injury prone.

Britt, on the other hand, was KF's hand-picked OL recruit, and showed flashes of high level play in his time this season. If he's the future, may as well begin now.

Banwart, Schott, and Britt all spend there time at RG. It will be interesting to see who can best switch over to the left side

What about Tyler Endres at tackle? He’s got to be up there with his size (6’ 6”, 320 pounds) and a year in the program.

Reactions: And1Hawk
Hey don't we have a plethora of talent at tight end ? Anybody think Coach Doyle slaps 50 lbs. on one of them and makes us tackle? It's been done before with great success (see Robert Gallery)

Reactions: HawkIDrummer
Schott and either Britt or Ince. Or if they go with Kallenberger still at guard then Plumb and Schott. I think Banwart has a shot to start if he stays healthy but that is a big if.

Reactions: Hitmanfan
Hey don't we have a plethora of talent at tight end ? Anybody think Coach Doyle slaps 50 lbs. on one of them and makes us tackle? It's been done before with great success (see Robert Gallery)

this would take more than one year. Typically when this happens it is an incoming frosh already identified to do this and redshirts year 1.

Reactions: Hitmanfan
Banwart starts with Britt subbing in for the 1st game or two & Schott starts at the other guard. May the best man win.

I think we have a very solid 6, with Ince & Plumb trying to break into the rotation.

I wouldn’t write Schott in with pen. He was ok. Great story, but imo both spots need to be a wide open competition. The Guard spots were horrible last year.

I thought Schott played better at the end of the year.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Just like we knew Linderbaum was chosen to be the man because the staff loved him, it seems that Britt is in the same category. You don't get the love from Ferentz without being something special. He might not start the year as the starter but I bet by end of the year he will be in the Top 5.

I was thinking that as well. As loaded as we seem at TE, I thought we might see a guy move to OT

Wasn't Plumb penciled in as the RT backup for most of the year? I hope they add some more beef to his frame, he was only in the 270's or so I thought.
I think that had more to do with Kallenberger getting game reps at guard. I think he's the next man in at RT, and then will slide over to LT next year so Plumb gets RT.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
I think that had more to do with Kallenberger getting game reps at guard. I think he's the next man in at RT, and then will slide over to LT next year so Plumb gets RT.

P
Wasn't Plumb penciled in as the RT backup for most of the year? I hope they add some more beef to his frame, he was only in the 270's or so I thought.
Heard from my nephew at Iowa he has put on around 30 pounds and weighs 290 now.:D

Reactions: scotthawk1964
We'll see some rotation on the interior line. Schott played on both left and right sides this season. If healthy, Banwart is still quite experienced ... and pretty darn good. He'll play ... A LOT. I agree that Britt is likely and firmly in the picture ... but Ince is also a guy to keep an eye upon.

I remember back in 2017, both Render and Reynolds rotated quite a bit ... similarly, Banwart and Ferg rotated quite a bit in 2018.

I love everything about Schott and his story ... except his size. IIRC, when he went up against average DL he was awesome. But, when he went up against elite level DT’s he got pushed around.

the LG spot was very good at the end of the year when Kallenberger was there. We need guys that can win every battle at the point of attack against the likes of OSU, PSU, MSU and Wisconsin.

I won’t question Kirk on OL play, but I would like to see Kallenberger stay right where he is at LG and that left side of the OL could be unstoppable and exactly where you run the ball on 3rd and short.

Plumb acquitted himself nicely at RT when given his few chances. Keep him there and let the other 4 (Banwart, Ince, Britt and Schott) battle it out for RG. Banwart will win the job, but maybe he is a little like Moeaki in that we can’t keep him on the field. Then we will still have 3 good options at back-up.

Here's my too early prediction for Starting Offensive line in Sept:

A Jackson, G Schott, TLinderbaum, C Banwart, M Kallenberger

Then, T Endres, Britt, Ince, Plumb, in the mix.

GO HAWKS

I love everything about Schott and his story ... except his size. IIRC, when he went up against average DL he was awesome. But, when he went up against elite level DT’s he got pushed around.
Most sophomore o-linemen in their first year of starting will get pushed around against elite-level DTs. Are you suggesting that he won't improve in how he prepares for the game ... and learn about how to win more often against those types of D-linemen?

If you went off of raw measurables ... you'd quickly conclude that Marshall Yanda's career was impossible ... and yet it wasn't! Rob Bruggeman was an undersized center for the Hawks ... a former walk-on too ... and he was the "extra ingredient" that helped the '08 O-line to develop into a pretty dominant group!

I am sure he will improve, Homer. But, even if he has improved technique and that extra heartbeat, I just don’t know if it will be enough when it comes to playing against the monster DT’s he will see vs MSU, OSU, PSU and Wisky.

a couple of those teams are back-to-back games,IIRC. He may be pretty worn down when we need him at his peak.

I will trust the coaches on getting it right, because until Landon Paulson last year, they always did get it right.

Until Polasek can point to developing o-line recruits I’ll withhold judgement. If we hadn’t taken Linderbaum from the D line can you imagine the interior line last season?

This isn’t Reese or even BF leading the troops. I don’t think you can assume that everyone will have the fundamentals in place and that they will grow into their jobs.

I am sure he will improve, Homer. But, even if he has improved technique and that extra heartbeat, I just don’t know if it will be enough when it comes to playing against the monster DT’s he will see vs MSU, OSU, PSU and Wisky.

a couple of those teams are back-to-back games,IIRC. He may be pretty worn down when we need him at his peak.

I will trust the coaches on getting it right, because until Landon Paulson last year, they always did get it right.
I gotcha ... I just anticipate that the Hawks appear to have some competent guys like Britt and Ince, who themselves will improve too. I don't think we're going to need to be reliant on Schott enduring those stretches of the season on his own ... I expect that the OL rotation will be able to alleviate some of those issues.

ADVERTISEMENT