ADVERTISEMENT

Who Are Your Teams/Who Wins it All First?

Greenway4Prez

HR Legend
Jan 10, 2005
My teams are:

Hawkeyes (duh)
Bears
Twins

I’m looking at the three major sports, but I know we have some hockey fans here so if you want to include them, go ahead.

The Bears SHOULD have the best chance of my teams to win a championship, given the salary cap and parity in the NFL. But, I almost feel like the Twins will be my only chance to see a championship.

There is no way in hell it’s ever happening with Iowa football or basketball.

Discuss. Or not.

• Haha
Reactions: West Duval Nole
Hawks (lol. And with NIL and transfer portal, it's unlikely to ever happen without changes)

Packers
Cardinals
Blues

The Packers have had their chance for the last decade and can't get over the hump. But they're probably the closest. I'm hoping for another magical run out of the Blues this year but have a really rough matchup with the Avs next round. And Lord Stanley's Cup is the hardest trophy to win in sports.

• Love
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Iowa
Cubs
Bears
Lakers

Probably the Lakers because they are the Lakers. Might not be for 5-10 years, but that is sooner than my other options

Iowa
Colts
Cubs

Colts have a pretty solid roster, How good can Matt Ryan be with the Colts is the question.

As much as I would love to see Hawkeye football or BB win a Natty, Don’t see it coming in my lifetime.

Hawks
Saints
Avalanche
Brewers

I'd say Colorado has the best chance since they are one of the 2 favorites to win the cup this year. Slimmer shot for the Brew Crew this year but maybe.

Iowa football will never win a national championship and I don't care.
Iowa basketball is less likely now than from 1950-2005 to ever win a national championship but I only want a goddam sweet 16 or maybe a conference title
Packers have won two Super Bowls in my lifetime
Braves have won two World Series

Packers
Hawks
Rays
Lightning
Bucs(my wife is a life long die hard so I root for them unless it adversely effects the pack)

lightning just repeated so I doubt they’ll win another one for a while despite them in the playoffs again. Pack has a short window with rodgers, but they’re the most likely imo.

Hawkeyes
Morningside Mustangs
LA Rams
NY Yankees

2 championships in the last 6 months. 3 of the 4 are capable of winning a championship within the next year.

Best shot to win the next? Ranked in order.

Mustangs. Set up to repeat with who they return. Back to back nattys.

Yankees. Off to a great start. Best record in baseball.

Rams. Difficult to repeat, but didn’t lose much in the off season.

Hawkeyes. Even before NIL, nearly zero chance. With NIL, zero chance. And I’m ok with this. Those that aren’t don’t realize where the F we live.

Bears
Bulls
Cubs
Hawkeye BB
Hawkeye FB

Just figure my pro teams have a better shot than the Hawks. Put basketball as more likely because I just think with the power structure in CFB it’s dammed near impossible
My "national championship" when it comes to Iowa Football is winning the Big Ten, actually winning a national championship seems so far from the realm of possibility that I don't even dream about it.

I'm a fan of Cubs, Packers/Vikings (which to my friends/relatives says I'm not really a super-fan of either) , and Hawkeye Men's basketball and football (and Iowa alum).

Cubs winning the World Series is the only non-Iowa Hawkeyes event that has given me the same exhilarating high as say Iowa winning the BiG in 02 or Tate to Holloway in 04.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Bucks
Raiders
Royals
Avalanche

never thought I’d see the bucks when a title after the heartbreak of 2001 so I’m just happy for the recent ride.

Avs have a chance this year, Raiders and Royals are in for some hurt

Iowa Hawkeyes
California Golden Bears
San Francisco 49ers

The Bears have a number of national championships, but they are in all of the minor sports; Womens' Lacrosse, Badminton, and a bunch of other stuff. They even won the trophy for having the most team championships in a recent year. (within the past ten years, anyway) ... so the odds of winning in some sport are fairly good going forward.

As far as football goes, definitely the 49ers have the best odds going forward.

Bears
Bulls
Cubs
Hawkeye BB
Hawkeye FB

Just figure my pro teams have a better shot than the Hawks. Put basketball as more likely because I just think with the power structure in CFB it’s dammed near impossible
Same thoughts on the hawks. Don’t care about any pro teams, other than hawks which play on them. Of the current players, probably Kittle is the most fun. So the 49ers, and they probably have the best shot at a championship. I suppose given the number of hawks in the NFL, odds are pretty good a team I “like” will win a championship.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
FSU
Maple Leafs
Bills
Blue Jays / Braves (to a lesser extent)
76'ers

Edit - I'm not high on my chances of seeing a title anytime soon. Braves were a complete surprise.......and it was really nice living in Atlanta, but baseball is my least favorite of the major sports. I'd really love to see the Bills and Leafs win....probably ain't happening.

Last edited:
St Louis Cardinals - witnessed 2 WS but not a huge baseball guy

Philadelphia Eagles - so glad I stayed invested since the mid 90s. 4 NFC Championship losses all were erased with that SB win.

Iowa Hawkeyes - Been close a few time or so it seemed in football. Now with NIL not sure they'll ever get there

Hawkeyes-any and all sports
Bears
Used to be Dodgers but I really don't follow baseball much any more
Used to be Celtics but I haven't watched an NBA game on television since Larry Bird was playing. I did attend a couple of games in Charlotte between 1998 and 2008, but couldn't tell you who they played. I just know that the first time they were the Hornets and the second they were the Bobcats. :rolleyes:

Iowa
St. Louis Cardinals
St. Louis Blues
Omaha Mavericks NCAA hockey
No meaningful allegiance to any NFL team and I don't follow NBA at all

I've frankly given up all hope for a national title for Iowa in FB or BB. The landscape has changed too much and a select few schools have an overwhelming advantage over everyone else.

Florida State, first and foremost.
Atlanta United FC. Most likely to win another championship.
Atlanta Braves
Atlanta Hawks
Atlanta Falcons

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
College
1.Florida State

Tie for 2nd
Team playing the gaters
Team playing the canes

NFL
1. 49ers

Tie for 2nd
Team playing the cowboys
Team playing the patriots

4th
Team playing jags.

Minnesota pro sports. They are the most snake bit city in the country when it comes to post season futility. It really isn’t debatable and it it was a major market books would be written about it.

after the Wild got bounced in the playoffs one of the writers for the Startribune did an article on it.

twins have lost 18 post season games in a row. You could let the worst team in the playoffs every year and they likely wouldn’t duplicate that.

vikings, lost 10 NFC title games as double digit favorite and a couple other ridiculous implosions.

convinced 1987 and 1991 will be it for my lifetime. It’s like bracing for a car accident.

College Sports

FSU for all Div 1 sports first, William & Mary for all Div 1 sports second, Georgia Tech for all Div 1 sports third and Cal for all Div 1 sports fourth. University of Tampa for all Div 2 sports first, Valdosta State for all Div 2 sports second and West Florida for all Div 3 sports third. I went to all but Valdosta State and West Florida for various college degrees and post graduate certifications, but I also actively root for any team playing the Gators even though my principal certification and second most important degree for my work are from Hogtown.

Pro Sports

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 1st, Miami Dolphins 2nd, Tampa Bay Bandits 3rd, Jacksonville Jaguars 4th.
Tampa Bay Rays 1st. Philadelphia Phillies 2nd. New York Yankees 3rd. (The Phillies and Yankees I only really follow and attend games during Spring Training in Clearwater and Tampa) Biloxi Shuckers 4th. Savannah Bananas 5th. Montgomery Biscuits 6th. Tidewater/Norfolk Tides 7th. Durham Bills 8th.
Tampa Bay Lightning only.
Orlando Magic only.
Tampa Bay Rowdies only.

Won't count Hawkeye Wrestling as "major", though they're most likely to win it all. Here are the top ten teams I really care about, in order of importance to me, along with their rank in my list as most to least likely to win it all next. It's a pretty sad state of affairs for me, considering the second best odds currently just missed their playoffs...

Chicago Fire FC - 3
Hawkeye Football - 8
USMNT - 6
Chicago White Sox - 1
FC St. Pauli - 10
Fulham FC - 9
USA Rugby - 7
USA Rugby Sevens - 5
Chicago Blackhawks - 2
Detroit Pistons - 4

Florida State football
Florida State basketball
Buffalo Bills
Buffalo Sabres
Toronto Blue Jays (sort of)

The Bills would be the most poised for a title, but the Bills and Sabres will never win one because Buffalo. I don't expect to see another national title out of FSU football.

The Blue Jays I sort of root for because they are my childhood team, and my son has adopted them, not sure how closely I'll follow them once he heads off to college. They'd be the only one that I'd think might win a championship.

ADVERTISEMENT