ADVERTISEMENT

Who did Brian beat out for the QB coach job? Anybody else considered/interviewed?

As another poster contributed, Kirk pretty much went all in on Brian. If he is successful, great… but if Kirk has to fire Brian, he will retire.

It’s hard to dial up a lot of spectacular plays when your quarterback is woefully inaccurate. So there’s that.

Brian also has a bad habit of getting into predictable play calls and formations on first and second downs. If they come out in shotgun throwing on first down, second down is almost always an I formation run. Conversely, if Brian dials up a run on first down, second down will be a shotgun pass. The end result is a lot of third and longs. Most offenses are not going to be successful in those circumstances.

Oh, I would add Brian also has a tendency to get cute in or near the red zone, which more times than not is a drive killer. The end result is a lot of field goal attempts.

I really hope a lot of that changes.
I'm only quoting you cause you're not a moron and can have a discussion.

Just a couple things I want to note

1. I don't know if this is the right call its clearly putting all the eggs in the BF basket

2. For those calling for drew tate, he hasn't coached one minute. We have no clue if he is good or not. Some just thing being a good QB at a school 15 years ago makes you a good coach. Whow knows.

3. Hodge at least comes with soome coaching experience and recruiting. That's part of the equation too, Hodge has at least built some of those connections or knows things to say. Tate not so much.

4. BF and Tate's time overlapped maybe they aren't the best of friend. Nothing wrong with that, sometimes you just know its not gonna work out relationship wise. Like if me and you worked together.

5. It was crazy late in the hiring cycle. There wasn't likely this plethora of good QB beating down the door to come to Iowa. So the debate becomes BF and Hodge or BF and some guy who can coach the quarterback who is compeltly new who would have to do what BF pretty much wanted anyway.

I'm only quoting you cause you're not a moron and can have a discussion.

2. For those calling for drew tate, he hasn't coached one minute. We have no clue if he is good or not. Some just thing being a good QB at a school 15 years ago makes you a good coach. Whow knows.
Tate has actually been coaching for 4 years which is more than Hodges 3 years at SD.

They have a Rooney-type rule in the Ferentz family… so they interviewed the uncle and a cousin of Brian’s, for show, to keep the females happy that everyone gets considered.

KF and BF are problems for the O, but having no B10-caliber QBs is making them look even worse than they are. They recruited them, though. Iowa is just so bad at evaluating QBs, from talent to potential. I've never figured out the love affair with statues who can't even move around the pocket, either. Really disappointed they didn't bring in a new coach for the QBs, too. Defense should get Hawks to another bowl game next year, though.

Reactions: Floyd_Of_Rosedale
ADVERTISEMENT