• Dem States in B10

Votes: 27 23.1%
  • OP’s Mom

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • No one. They shouldn’t be playing.

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters
1485776306-trump.gif

Anyone thinking the players didn't do themselves any favors as far as playing this year with their demands? Wasn't it the PAC and BIG who came out with covid demands?

Reactions: FSUTribe76
The Commissioner had absolutely 0.0 responsibility in shutting anything down.
He did not want football along with the presidents . He most likely thinks it will hurt Trump. Now that there has been big time push back, they may reconsider. I just hope we get big 10 basketball.

Reactions: SIXERS24
I just hope we get big 10 basketball.

If you want to maximize the possibility of NCAA BB being played, then you should want (and insist on) administrators being overly cautious on the FB season....

If FB "blows it up", then kiss NCAA BB goodbye.

Reactions: Rudolph
Finding blame is the problem in this country today. It's fun to sit in an Easyboy recliner and second guess all the decision made by people that have earned the right to make them.

Time to crack open another Miller High Life and blame all of the above! 😒

Ultimately, the buck stops with the President of each Big Ten
University. They have the responsibility to oversee the entire
slate of programs. Some might like sports more than others.
We will soon find out what their decision is for a start up of
the football season.

i cant absolve him completely, especially when he has largely gone radio silent since the decision was made. I think he had no idea what do in the aftermath. I think at least some people would have gone along with him had the b10 attempted to explain their thinking behind the vote, which the Pac12 officials at least provided explanations. With a better PR campaign, the decision to cancel didn’t need to blowup in their face the way it did.

Anyone thinking the players didn't do themselves any favors as far as playing this year with their demands? Wasn't it the PAC and BIG who came out with covid demands?

The BIG10 players demands were actually fairly reasonable and I think were largely addressed. The PAC 12 ones were outlandish.

Because Iowa is in the Big Ten and Iowans are selfish by not wearing masks. Isn’t that what was posted in the other thread?

Reactions: DogBoyRy
University presidents who understand liability.
Really?
Different liability than putting them in dorms? Starting in person classes?
My guess is you’re about three years and a bar test away from being a lawyer.

The other commissioners put together plans and options.
See the ACC for how to do it right.
Warren was busy promoting himself and being political.

i cant absolve him completely, especially when he has largely gone radio silent since the decision was made. I think he had no idea what do in the aftermath. I think at least some people would have gone along with him had the b10 attempted to explain their thinking behind the vote, which the Pac12 officials at least provided explanations. With a better PR campaign, the decision to cancel didn’t need to blowup in their face the way it did.

The BIG10 players demands were actually fairly reasonable and I think were largely addressed. The PAC 12 ones were outlandish.
The pac 12’s were against ncaa rules also.

Reactions: sober_teacher
No. He does exactly as his employers will allow him to do.

No, he's the Commissioner of the B1G. If he was hired to simply take orders, he'd be the receptionist.

Take for example when the B1G expanded by admitting Penn State, Nebraska, Rutgers, or Maryland. Sure, the B1G Presidents voted, but Delaney had his fingerprints all over each of those decisions, and was largely responsible. Ditto for launching the B1G Network, Of course, the Presidents voted. But they voted in accordance with..........you guess it.........Jim Delaney, who was largely responsible. Or any other major decison under Delaney's lengthy tenure.

And so it is with every organization that hires senior lieutenants, and pays them the big bucks for their subject matter expertise. They're not hired to answer the phone and do some light filing. They're hired because their expertise qualifies them to make decisoins that their bosses approve so their bosses can focus attention on important matters not under the purview of the lieutenant.

And if you do make the mistake of hiring a senior leiutenant who takes zero responsibility for major decisions under his/her purview, that lieutenant clearly isn't capable of executing the duties associated with their role, and needs to be immediately dismissed.

Reactions: desihawk
No, he's the Commissioner of the B1G. If he was hired to simply take orders, he'd be the receptionist.

Take for example when the B1G expanded by admitting Penn State, Nebraska, Rutgers, or Maryland. Sure, the B1G Presidents voted, but Delaney had his fingerprints all over each of those decisions, and was largely responsible. Ditto for launching the B1G Network, Of course, the Presidents voted. But they voted in accordance with..........you guess it.........Jim Delaney, who was largely responsible. Or any other major decison under Delaney's lengthy tenure.

And so it is with every organization that hires senior lieutenants, and pays them the big bucks for their subject matter expertise. They're not hired to answer the phone and do some light filing. They're hired because their expertise qualifies them to make decisoins that their bosses approve so their bosses can focus attention on important matters not under the purview of the lieutenant.

And if you do make the mistake of hiring a senior leiutenant who takes zero responsibility for major decisions under his/her purview, that lieutenant clearly isn't capable of executing the duties associated with their role, and needs to be immediately dismissed.
Valids points. I agree with the facts you presented but disagree with the conclusion. I may be right or I may be wrong but I fully believe that the Presidents of The Big Ten will always enforce their will upon the athletics of the conference if they desire.

Reactions: DFSNOLE and Rudolph
Valids points. I agree with the facts you presented but disagree with the conclusion. I may be right or I may be wrong but I fully believe that the Presidents of The Big Ten will always enforce their will upon the athletics of the conference if they desire.

Of course the Presidents have the ability to overrule the Commissioner. But their intention is to not have to overrule the Commissioner, which is why it happens so infrequently . And if they find themselves needing to overrule the Commissioner, they need a new Commissioner.

Reactions: DogBoyRy
I went with the crowded bars that made a few B1G campuses Covid hotspots. For those who voted Governors of Dem states, is there any reason other than you are just raging Trumpanzee morons?

Of course the Presidents have the ability to overrule the Commissioner. But their intention is to not have to overrule the Commissioner, which is why it happens so infrequently . And if they find themselves needing to overrule the Commissioner, they need a new Commissioner.

the difference now though is that Warren is a first-year commissioner with none of the political leverage/relationships that Delaney had established over 30 years. I think there are things warren could have done better but I don’t think he could have bent the presidents to his will like Delaney.

had Delaney still been commiss, at the very least he’d have been able to would have been to get them to agree to postponing the season a couple weeks to see how things unfolded. That’s really, in my opinion, where everything went off the rails. had nothing changed after the initial vote, the decision to cancel could at least have been rationalized. In the past month however, we’ve seen at least 3 new, cheaper and accurate tests be developed for widespread use. Football has started elsewhere around the country. So, what could have been rationalized a month ago looks really shortsighted at best now.

I saw a graph this past week that showed that there have been 26,000 positive cases on college campuses across the US as of last week. Of those 26,000 cases there were 0....yes 0....hospitalizations. I blame the shut down on whomever is making these decisions inability to read and comprehend information.

Reactions: kzoohawk80
I saw a graph this past week that showed that there have been 26,000 positive cases on college campuses across the US as of last week. Of those 26,000 cases there were 0....yes 0....hospitalizations. I blame the shut down on whomever is making these decisions inability to read and comprehend information.

#JamainStephensWasProbablyHospitalized....

Agree 100%. When I asked a Board of Trustees member who would make the decision for FSU, he told me that it would be the university president combined with the governor. Never was anyone within any level of athletic administration mentioned.

ADVERTISEMENT