ADVERTISEMENT

Who had this team at 11-9/21-10 at end of regular season, before the season started?? 12-8/22-9 is not out of the question, either.

HawkBall23

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 6, 2001
And potentially a Top5 seed in the BTT?

He won't be in the discussion for it, but Fran needs to be in the discussion for B1G CotY.

Losing Luka Garza to graduation & the NBA, Joe Wieskamp to the pros, as well as Jack Nunge and CJ Frederick to transfer, but finishing over .500 in conference and posting over 20 wins in the regular season?? That deserves some recognition, imo.

Reactions: Mohawkeye

He won't be in the discussion for it, but Fran needs to be in the discussion for B1G CotY.

Losing Luka Garza to graduation & the NBA, Joe Wieskamp to the pros, as well as Jack Nunge and CJ Frederick to transfer, but finishing over .500 in conference and posting over 20 wins in the regular season?? That deserves some recognition, imo.
Not me....

If I'm being honest, not me either.

I didn't think Iowa would finish dead last or anything, but I certainly didn't see a fringe double-bye in the BTT earned season coming either.

I thought being on the bubble was our best-case scenario. Thought he’d be good but I didn’t see the leap he took this year.

Would think we’re firmly in the dance now barring an absolute face plant down the stretch.

It doesn't, but if regular season ended tonight, Iowa would face the NW/NEB winner on Thursday night as the 6-seed in the BTT, and would face Wisconsin on Friday night if win.

I would love that scenario.

Another scenario I would like, would be jumping up to the 5 seed, getting the 12/13 winner on Thursday and another game vs Ohio St on Friday for the chance to advance to the weekend.

I did. To be fair I was much more bullish on this year's team before Fredrick and Nunge transferred, but I still feel they have the potential to go further than last year's team did.

Not me. I had them 19-12. Happy they will likely surpass that, but let’s not count our chickens etc. As far as COY goes, typically not to a guy picked to finish 9/10 and ends up 5/6. Turnover in NCAA basketball is the norm now, a lot of teams lose a lot every year.

If I'm being honest, not me either.

I didn't think Iowa would finish dead last or anything, but I certainly didn't see a fringe double-bye in the BTT earned season coming either.
I knew this group of guys would have spells of play that were really fun to watch. I forget what my prediction was pre-season, but I think I would have topped out at a 7 seed if things broke right. If they can keep playing like this on offense and keep those hands busy on defense like they have, they could be a tough out. I like Sandfort hunting his shot and while I wouldn’t have expected it, JBo is doing a damn fine job running the offense.

Reactions: HawkBall23

Finishing in the middle of the conference isn't coty worthy imo.

If the refs didnt screw us vs ru pu and il....then definitely!!

Finishing in the middle of the conference isn't coty worthy imo.

If the refs didnt screw us vs ru pu and il....then definitely!!
I'm not saying he WILL win it, because we all know he won't.

But still needs recognition for overperforming expectations to end up finishing well above most predictions, especially the medias.

I'm not saying he WILL win it, because we all know he won't.

But still needs recognition to end up finishing well above most predictions, especially the medias.
Yes but you're basically saying we should reward Fran for a horrible off-season, which makes no sense imo. He doesn't get extra credit for replacing nunge and cj schollys with rebraca and ash.

Yes but you're basically saying we should reward Fran for a horrible off-season, which makes no sense imo. He doesn't get extra credit for replacing nunge and cj schollys with rebraca and ash.
Think about it, though.

He could end up 1 or 2 games from finishing in the Top4 of the B1G this season, despite those reasons you gave. Which, sorry, but I don't think I agree with. Nunge left to be closer to family after his dad passed, so that is not on Fran. And also, CJF leaving was because he didn't want to earn the position he felt he was owed on this squad.

Fran deserves even more recognition, using that reasoning you gave. imo

Think about it, though.

He could end up 1 or 2 games from finishing in the Top4 of the B1G this season, despite those reasons you gave. Which, sorry, but I don't think I agree with. Nunge left to be closer to family after his dad passed, so that is not on Fran. And also, CJF leaving was because he didn't want to earn the position he felt he was owed on this squad.

Fran deserves even more recognition, using that reasoning you gave. imo
Those 2 leaving is not on Fran. Doing a horrible job replacing them is 100%on him though.
The portal is part of his job each year. Off-season matters. Failing in the off-season and lowering expectations shouldn't factor into ooty.

Those 2 leaving is not on Fran. Doing a horrible job replacing them is 100%on him though.
The portal is part of his job each year. Off-season matters. Failing in the off-season and lowering expectations shouldn't factor into ooty.
Just because he didn’t do what we thought he should have doesn’t mean it was a horrible off-season or that he failed.

We’re 19-8, 9-7 with 4 to play. Clearly he’s doing something right after all.

Definitely not me I thought the Hawks would be scrubbing the basement floor - all that talent from last year gone who in their right mind would think Iowa would be as good as they’re this year? Kinda like Wisconsin- no one thought they would be that good but sheeeet they are

Reactions: perryhawk
Just know we are not any better than the media who had Michigan winning the Big Ten, Iowa 9th, Wisconsin 10th, and Maryland 5th.

Terrible take, but one of your better posts.

I thought that the offense would suffer and the defense would improve given what was leaving and what was coming back. I thought Keegan was going to be great because he showed last year that he was already a really special player. Didn't think he would be NPOY level great but better than JoeW. I thought players like Perkins, Pmac, Joe, Ulis and possibly Kris would take a step forward offensively and that, along with Keegan, they would be a significant upgrade defensively over what we had towards the end of last year after Nunge got hurt. Big unkowns were what Rebraca would bring at the 5. I had them winning 20+ and going around .500 in the B1G. Not so far off record-wise but how they've gotten here so far has been a surprise. Very little drop off offensively due to Keegan's offensive explosion and Fran's offensive acumen, and little in the way of defensive improvement from what I expected. Hopefully that expected defensive improvement over last year was just late in arriving.

I thought that the offense would suffer and the defense would improve given what was leaving and what was coming back. I thought Keegan was going to be great because he showed last year that he was already a really special player. Didn't think he would be NPOY level great but better than JoeW. I thought players like Perkins, Pmac, Joe, Ulis and possibly Kris would take a step forward offensively and that, along with Keegan, they would be a significant upgrade defensively over what we had towards the end of last year after Nunge got hurt. Big unkowns were what Rebraca would bring at the 5. I had them winning 20+ and going around .500 in the B1G. Not so far off record-wise but how they've gotten here so far has been a surprise. Very little drop off offensively due to Keegan's offensive explosion and Fran's offensive acumen, and little in the way of defensive improvement from what I expected. Hopefully that expected defensive improvement over last year was just late in arriving.
Most of our defensive ratings are actually much better than last year, fluctuated mid season, but have been improving again down the stretch here.

Reactions: HawkBall23
I had 10-10 in the conference as this team's ceiling because I didn't think Fran would ever have a team that played decent defense or that would rebound. And for most of the season, he didn't. Now, all of a sudden, Iowa is playing defense and rebounding at a good, not great, level, which combined with one of the top offenses in the country, leads to things like winning at #18 Ohio State and totally dismantling former top 25 team MSU. This Iowa team, with its current rotations and discovery of the value of defense and rebounding, is fun to watch and enjoying success beyond what most believed possible. But the Hawkeyes have to keep that intensity and continue to play 40 minutes of defense and continue to rebound. To do less would turn this current stretch into a mirage. Keep it going, and who knows what can happen.

Your using Ash coming at the end of a 30 point blow out of Michigan State as evidence that the off season was terrible?

Brilliant! Wow
Our off-season consisted of replacing transfers cjf and nunge schollys with ash and rebraca...so yeah I'd say he's a big part of Frans weak off season ...

You don't get extra credit for lowering expectations and not replacing guys.

Most of our defensive ratings are actually much better than last year, fluctuated mid season, but have been improving again down the stretch here.
Well we are ranked 80 in defensive efficiency. We ended last year at 75 so..... Hoping that the recent trend remains intact and they can finish strong.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT