ADVERTISEMENT

Who has had babies delivered at 34-36 weeks?

3boysmom

HR Legend
Dec 21, 2001
Omaha, NE
www.chooseyouradventuretravels.com
Son and Daughter in law were told this week that baby boy will need to be delivered by 36 weeks due to umbilical cord resistance. Right now he looks good but is small. Not below the 10th percentile. At 32 weeks estimated to be 3 pounds 5 ounces. They are doing weekly biophysical profiles and will monitor to see if he needs to come before 36 weeks. 36 weeks is the week of Thanksgiving. Right now he looks great and is healthy but of course we can't help but worry. If you had a baby between 34 and 36 weeks or had a baby with growth restriction how did things go? Did baby have to stay long in the NICU? Anything we should be aware of?

My son was born at 32 weeks. He was 3lbs 7 ounces and 16" long. Same size as a nice fish. He was in the nicu for 5 weeks before we could bring him home. Now he's a big healthy 16 year old.

My second son was born at 30 weeks. 1lb 8 ounces and died a half hour after he was born.

Son and Daughter in law were told this week that baby boy will need to be delivered by 36 weeks due to umbilical cord resistance. Right now he looks good but is small. Not below the 10th percentile. At 32 weeks estimated to be 3 pounds 5 ounces. They are doing weekly biophysical profiles and will monitor to see if he needs to come before 36 weeks. 36 weeks is the week of Thanksgiving. Right now he looks great and is healthy but of course we can't help but worry. If you had a baby between 34 and 36 weeks or had a baby with growth restriction how did things go? Did baby have to stay long in the NICU? Anything we should be aware of?
I'd imagine they have already given her steroids to help develop the lungs. If memory serves, that was the big issue. The sooner they can get the steroids on board and the longer she can carry, the better for the babies lungs.

Not positive, DIL was told the baby needed to be a certain weight, and all functions needed to be working before being released.

Reactions: 3boysmom
My wife had our first daughter at 35 weeks. We where completely caught off guard, really not ready but took it in stride which is surprising. Her water broke as I was walking out the door for work, she yelled, I didn’t believe her, I was wrong (shocker).

On the way to the hospital we both just talked about the expectations, baby would probably be in Nicu you for a couple of weeks and how we would handle. Went through all the different scenarios that could happen (but where fairly confident nothing was wrong developmentally outside of lungs and other final stage development things).

Wife had her 5 hours after water broke (crazy fast delivery) Ended up being in the nicu for an hour and a half, out of the hospital in a day and a half, but back for 1 night because of jaundice. Other than piece of cake.

may recommendation to them would be have any and all contingencies in place for what they’ll do and how family can help if there is a Nici stay. Make sure all pre baby tasks are done asap (crib, room, other necessities). Make sure bags are packed and car seats ready. Other then that trust the doctors, they really know what they’re doing and all will be ok.

Hospitals, doctors and medical equipment has been getting much better. At wk 34 to 36 I would say you have very little to worry about. Every extra week the fetus will get exponentially bigger, so the longer the better. I had some friends that had one at 32 weeks, and they were in the nicu for 12 weeks (the baby had other medical issues) had another at around 35 to 36 weeks and I think they were home within a week.

I'd imagine they have already given her steroids to help develop the lungs. If memory serves, that was the big issue. The sooner they can get the steroids on board and the longer she can carry, the better for the babies lungs.
They haven't given her steroids yet. She wasn't sure why but I'm guessing they have a reason. She sees a perinatal doc and an OB. Her OB doc said she is not concerned yet and perinatal would tell her if there was a reason to be.

Reactions: DooBi
They haven't given her steroids yet. She wasn't sure why but I'm guessing they have a reason. She sees a perinatal doc and an OB. Her OB doc said she is not concerned yet and perinatal would tell her if there was a reason to be.
I'm sure they know what they're doing. I think with us they wanted to get steroids in right away because they knew our time was up. My wife had pre-eclampsia that caused both early births. We had planned on a bunch of kids and ended up raising one. God decides and God provides.

I feel like 36 weeks has got to be pretty safe at this point.

My son was born at 37 weeks, not really that early but wife was induced because he had a poor ambilocal cord connection. Weighed 3 12. Spent 9 days in hospital, not in NICU but under heat because he couldn't keep himself warm. Left hospital at 5 lbs.
He has had no further issues and is doing great at age 8.

Best of luck

Best wishes to you and your family, as a grandparent it is extremely scary. My grandson was born at 29 weeks. Got a call from my son who was out of town for work, that his wife was at the hospital and baby was going to be delivered. After helping him arrange a flight home and getting my wife on a plane, started googling survival rates for 29 week preemies. Found out that prognosis was much better than I thought.
He spent 61 days in the NICU and is now a healthy happy 4 year old. Nurses keep saying when he is 2 you will never know he was a preemie, they were right. Those folks are amazing, such a depressing place. Amazed at the number of babies that had very few visits from parents.

Son born 10 weeks early, weighed 2.9 pounds, got down to 2.3 pounds. His lungs were premature and he had numerous chest tubes inserted into his lungs and a lack of oxygen caused blindness in one eye. This was in 1988 and the NICU was outstanding then, so you're in great hands today.

Seventy days in NICU.

"If a baby is premature (born before 37 weeks of pregnancy), they may not have made enough surfactant yet.

When there is not enough surfactant, the tiny alveoli collapse with each breath. As the alveoli collapse, damaged cells collect in the airways. They further affect breathing."

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/ency...by is premature,They further affect breathing.

My son was born at 32 weeks. He was 3lbs 7 ounces and 16" long. Same size as a nice fish. He was in the nicu for 5 weeks before we could bring him home. Now he's a big healthy 16 year old.

My second son was born at 30 weeks. 1lb 8 ounces and died a half hour after he was born.
How many fillets can you get off a baby that size?

My niece and nephew were both born early and around 2 lbs and are in high school now. My wife works in a NICU and has pretty much seen it all. 35 weeks isn’t uncommon anymore.

MY first was born one hour before 37 weeks and as a result was considered premature. He took a 10 minute trip through the Nicu and went home the next day. Second son was born 4 hours before 37 weeks and ran into some issues with breathing initially and a bleed on the brain. 10 days in Nicu and concerns about walking, talking, etc. He is now a freshman at Iowa, 4.0 gpa high school, and absolutely killing it at Iowa (so far) all. Outside of a lingering tremor in one hand no ill effects. Not the greatest athlete in the world but if that is the worst thing we are lucky.

My daughter was born at 26 weeks, weighing in at a robust 1 lb 10 oz. (1 lb 14 oz at birth, then quickly lost the water weight). We spent 105 days in the NICU. So 32 weeks is more or less the event horizon for babies. Assuming no defects or issues at birth, their lungs are strong (may need bubble CPAP), all their involuntary brain functions work (breathing, heart, etc.), around 34 weeks they start to develop their sucking reflexes and can control their temperature. If he's born at 34 and there are no medical issues, they'll probably put him into Level 2 NICU, which was one nurse to 4 babies and they'll send him home when he can take down 8 bottles. If born at 36 weeks, probably a very short stay in the NICU.

Our twins were born at 34 weeks. They were 5lb/14oz and 5lb/4oz. They ended up spending 12 days in the NICU. The biggest issue was their breathing, which is what the NICU was for. When they both met whatever the requirement was, they were released.

I fo know that there were a bunch of babies there, many of them barely had parents come see them, mainly work related issues of not being able to get off work or lack of transportation. So if the baby stays down there, do everything you can to spend at least some time with them.

Not many! That kid coulda used some 12oz weights in his belly let me tell ya! Lol
BTW, sorry about the second kid.

My second kid had to be in the NICU for 2 weeks after inhaling amniotic fluid and nearly instantly developing pneumonia, he was also a little bit pre-mature. Scary, scary times and I don't wish that on any parent.

Like your first, my former NICU kid is now incredibly healthy -- about 6'1 and 165 and plays on the U of Iowa club soccer team.

We had monoamniotic/monochorionic twins who were born at 32 weeks. I don’t recall their exact birth weight but they were right around 3 1/2 lbs each.

They spent 30 days in the NICU but never really had any serious issues. The biggest concern was lung development. My wife was given corticosteroids to help their lungs develop prior to birth. And of course RSV will be something to watch for.

I’ll make my standard plea here with a little extra emphasis since your grandbaby will be a preemie. Please, please take an infant CPR class and have everyone who will be in charge of caring for the baby take one as well. One of my twins stopped breathing a few days after we brought them home. I had just finished feeding her and she suddenly turned blue. Like smurf blue, from head to toe. I immediately turned her over and did exactly what I had been taught and she started breathing again and her color returned to normal. It was the scariest 10 seconds of my life, and I’m so thankful that I knew what to do.

My son was in the NICU with Baby Zoe (Google her). She was born at 27 weeks, 3rd smallest surviving baby born in the U.S. and was in the NICU for 5 months. My son was there for about her 7th or 8th week and you could tell it was rough on her parents but they were adapting. It shocked me one night when her dad came in wearing Cubs gear, straight from the game. I was at first stunned he would go have fun as opposed to being at the hospital but after our 10 days I quickly realized he needed a break and to be out in the "real world" was not a bad thing.

I recently saw an update that she graduated from high school this past spring, is off to college and doing great. She is small (4'11") and has some hearing loss but otherwise is a normal 18 year old.

We had monoamniotic/monochorionic twins who were born at 32 weeks. I don’t recall their exact birth weight but they were right around 3 1/2 lbs each.

They spent 30 days in the NICU but never really had any serious issues. The biggest concern was lung development. My wife was given corticosteroids to help their lungs develop prior to birth. And of course RSV will be something to watch for.

I’ll make my standard plea here with a little extra emphasis since your grandbaby will be a preemie. Please, please take an infant CPR class and have everyone who will be in charge of caring for the baby take one as well. One of my twins stopped breathing a few days after we brought them home. I had just finished feeding her and she suddenly turned blue. Like smurf blue, from head to toe. I immediately turned her over and did exactly what I had been taught and she started breathing again and her color returned to normal. It was the scariest 10 seconds of my life, and I’m so thankful that I knew what to do.
It’s mandatory now I believe. You watch a video and train on a doll. I’ve never watched an educational video so intently.

Reactions: 3boysmom and TJ8869
My nephew was born at 25 weeks. Can’t remember exactly, but I think a few months were spent in the NICU. He’s thriving now.

Daughter was born 6 or 7 weeks early. I think she weighted 3 lb 5 oz. She caught up really fast. I think at 9 months she was up to 50 percentile for height and weight

34, 36 and 35 weeks for my 3.
The first one had a long (35 days) stay due to a handful of issues, but as others have said anything 30-32 weeks and up is pretty manageable with advanced NICUs. It's still incredibly hard on parents and sometimes thinking back I'm not sure how we got thru it all. But we did and they will too!
Best of luck to you and your family.

One of mine was born at 3.5 and 34 weeks I believe. Had to stay in the NICU only for purposes of weening off of the feeding tube and to be bottle fed. About 2 weeks in total. No other issues then and no issues now 11 years later (or in the 11 years since).

I'm sure they know what they're doing. I think with us they wanted to get steroids in right away because they knew our time was up. My wife had pre-eclampsia that caused both early births. We had planned on a bunch of kids and ended up raising one. God decides and God provides.

I feel like 36 weeks has got to be pretty safe at this point.
That pre-eclampsia is a scary deal. Almost lost both my wife and 3rd born to it and hellp syndrome. Scary times and sorry for your loss.

Reactions: 3boysmom and DooBi
I had a younger brother that was born at 36 weeks and he died at about 3 days old. But that was 1971. So I think that is just in the back of my brain. He and my oldest son have the same name so I’m sure that doesn’t help. My mom had a stillborn at 32 weeks and then the baby at 36 weeks that died. She’s a mess with worry so I’m keeping her away from my son and daughter in law. They don’t need that stress.

My youngest son was born 3 months early and spent his first 4 months in the NICU. Weighed like 2 pounds and fit in the palm of my hand. The most intense and scariest roller coaster ride I’ve ever been on. The medical team was phenomenal. Can’t tell you how many shots, procedures, steroids, scans, and on and on he had.

Fortunately, 8 years later he’s a healthy, active, smart, ornery and normal 2nd grader. Height-wise he’s taller than most kids in his class, but a little on the thin side… about 50 ish pounds.

ADVERTISEMENT